Which Benelli M2 12 Gauge for do all shotgun?

Looking for one gun for dove, quail, rabbit, snipe, rails, waterfowl, and turkey. Waterfowl will be the least percentage of use. Dove and turkey the most use.

Loving the M2 and favor 26" barrel. Can't see major differences between M2 hunting variations. Anything special I should look for for this application?

Last edited:
Yep- all the M2 Field models are the same gun with variable barrel lengths and finishes. I've been using one hard since 2006, a plain vanilla one with a 26" barrel. I later added an 18" barrel with rifle sights for home defense type use. Oddly, after a lot of hunting, I wish I'd have opted for the 28" barrel.

I've hunted all manner of birds and small game with it. It's very hard to go wrong with a M2. Parts and barrels are pretty expensive compared to Remington stuff, but the quality is certainly a step up.

Thanks for the info hodgeman. I've seen several threads where owners talk about how reliable these guns are. Since black synthetic is about the same price as camo, I think I'll just grab a new camo model.

Best to you,
Islander

I have a M2 in a 26". You metioned using it for turkey, if you hunt thicker areas I'd go no longer than 26", remember for turkeys you will probablyl end up with an extended tube as well so it's that much longer. Even then you will catch it on every twig and limb in the woods. I wish mine was a 24".

If your'e not dead set on the crio and recoil garb..... once in a while a Benelli M1 H&K will pop up ANIB or NIB for reasonable and in my experience they were far more durable than the next generation (M2/SBE2) having owned multiple variations in both.

My go to shotguns are a SBE 2 and a 20 gauge montefeltro. I prefer the sbe2 over the m2 even though mines never seen a 3 1/2” shell. I like that on the sbe the top of the receiver comes off with the barrel for drying it out after dropping it in the marsh and the once every couple year cleaning. That said, since I bought the 20 gauge the 12 only comes out for big duck/goose season, and I’ll probably switch to the 20 after I shoot up all the steel I have laying around. Also, the montefeltros have a flat rib vs the raised rib on the sbe/m2s, if you have a preference for one or the other.

Kinda miss read the title where it said you've already decided on the m2. I think you’ll be happy with it. If you’re not in a real hurry to buy it, Dunn’s sporting goods usually runs a killer deal on a benelli of some sort every year. Last year was a 12 gauge montefeltro for around $700, year before that was an m2 for $800ish if I recall correctly.

I have a M2 in a 26". You metioned using it for turkey, if you hunt thicker areas I'd go no longer than 26", remember for turkeys you will probablyl end up with an extended tube as well so it's that much longer. Even then you will catch it on every twig and limb in the woods. I wish mine was a 24".
Or you can go with a 28" fine length for duck and goose gun especially on the coast in the wind and during turkey season run just a full choke...the length hasn't stopped me from filling 2 of my tags....

Truthfully don't know enough about shotguns to know what I like best. I can literally walk roads to all my turkey spots, so 28" is appealing. Been shooting my 870 since I bought it new in 1984. Still trying to decide whether to go 20 gauge, but probably will stick with 12.

I thought Montefeltro had less upgrade or aftermarket options. Is that true? After being a man who always wanted unique stuff, I've realized the convenience of owning the most popular models of stuff.
20190121_155851.jpg

Last edited:
I think barrel length is all personal preference, best thing you can do is try to find someone that has what you’re looking for to shoot before you buy, some people notice a difference in the swing if you’re used to something else. With limited waterfowl use I’d be looking hard at a 20 gauge, but that’s personal preference also. You are limited in aftermarket stuff for the montefeltro, especially mag tube extensions. The montefeltro has a flat rib exactly like your 870. The m2 rib is ramped up off the receiver if that makes sense.

Attachments

• 66C0EDC9-0068-4744-8A7F-F37184661DFE.jpeg
    66C0EDC9-0068-4744-8A7F-F37184661DFE.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 30
Don’t have a decent picture of my SBE 2 to show the difference in ribs. Flat vs raised is another one that some folks prefer one over the other. It took a little getting used to for me when I switched from an 870, but not that big of a deal in the long run.

Been shooting a M2 28” 12ga for over 10 years and it’s a rock solid low maintenance gun for sure. Recoil is a little stout if used to shooting a gas gun. I do look for a used shorter barrel every turkey season but never end up getting one. Once your set up, the long barrel is nice. Very effective on toms with the factory full choke and XR Longbeard. Good on ducks and geese with 2-4’s and modified or IC depending on hunt. I’d shoulder both and see what feels best.

I have a 28” M2 12 gauge that has been fantastic. The 20 gauge model handles extremely well. If I had it to do over I think I’d get it in 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 28” M2 12 gauge that has been fantastic. The 20 gauge model handles extremely well. If I had it to do over I think I’d get it in 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree..We have a 20 ga Beretta I took out to pattern last spring in case my daughter wanted to go. I never pulled the M2 out of the safe all spring. Didn’t get to pull trigger on a bird but my bum neck and shoulder were excited about the prospect. I shot a mallard with it using steel #6 Pheasant 2 3/4 as it was lightest load I could find, again in case daughter wanted to go and we usually have wood ducks. With today’s turkey loads a 20 ya M2 would be sweet. if hunting big ducks or geese might still want a 12.

I have used an older M2 12 26" tube, great shotgun. I currently use a 26" tubed Montefetltro 12GA, also a great shotgun. I wouldn't worry about 2" extra or less, If I had the choice I would go for a longer tube on a scattergun. The M2 is great a shotgun, cant go wrong there. Also, I saw an M2 on 24hr campfire a while back that was nice.

You should pull out the recoil spring in the tube under the stock (it does take some doing) and clean out any funk you find. Some folks put in "Sure Cycle" recoil springs but mine runs low brass fine until it gets filthy, then it will bobble one occasionally.
Oh I have cleaned the heck out of that gun many times!

Back