Which bear spray to buy

EdP

WKR
I need to buy bear spray for an upcoming elk hunt (I will also have a sidearm). All the pro and con arguments are moot because spray is something the outfitter requires. If charged, the option of what to use will be up to me. So what do folks like the best of the available options?

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
If you're carrying it because you have to, but prefer to use your sidearm, just get whatever is cheapest and/or most readily available.

It's all just pepper spray on steroids. Take your pick.

Something you'll rarely hear is to use what you feel most comfortable with. Obviously we don't want to use either.. In my own personal testing, for bear spray to be highly effective, you'll need to have spray deployed for a solid 2-3 seconds to create enough cloud. Not saying it won't work with less time deployed but keep in mind a bear will clear 100 ft in a few seconds.

How much have your been stress tested in drawing from the holster and getting a 1st 2nd and 3rd round fired on a 3, 5, 10, and 15 yard target in less than 3 seconds?? Its tougher than you think if you've never shot IDPA/IPSC

UDAP.
More importantly than brand, make sure there is 3 years on the expiration date. Like any pressurized canister it can lose pressure over time.

OP
E

EdP

WKR
How much have your been stress tested in drawing from the holster and getting a 1st 2nd and 3rd round fired on a 3, 5, 10, and 15 yard target in less than 3 seconds?? Its tougher than you think if you've never shot IDPA/IPSC

Not enough but I've been practicing and will continue, and hope it is enough if put to the test.

OP
E

EdP

WKR
I think I found my answer in a video put out by the Wy Outfitters and Guides Association on bear safety. They use Counter Assault in the video.

Counter assault, udap, Sabre, it's all the same. Some have larger volume cans but it's the same contents.