Which barrel company do you use

Any reputable barrel maker will have the quality to meet your stated requirements. The differences in a field rifle will be minimal. I’d choose any maker that has the contour and twist you are looking for available.

For profile, I'd get the thinnest one they would make with a flare at the end for threads. If this is really a mountain rifle, this is the place to save weight.

Reactions: NSI
I like Bartlein but all of those should be fine. 2b contour fluted for a mtn rifle.
I’m going with a 3b contour 1-8 twist. Want the rifle to come in at 8-8.5 pounds Going with a Vampire LA Manner stock, NF NXS2.5-10. Hawkins hunter DBM, Bix’nandy trigger.

Reactions: NSI
My personal preference is
Bartlein
Brux
Rock Creek

In that order
I have a Bartlein cf in 6BR, rock Creek in 6.5x284, Just ordered a Krieger in 6BR. Guess I’ll have to see what has the shortest wait. Still not sold on what twist to get? Was thinking 1-8 , 1-8.5 , or 1-9? My gunsmith said 1-9 looking on line seems like more people are running 1-8? Again plan on 600 yard max . 20 “ barrel. Starting with factory 175 eventually reloads with 180’s. Probably doesn’t really matter at 600 or less?

I’m going with a 3b contour 1-8 twist. Want the rifle to come in at 8-8.5 pounds Going with a Vampire LA Manner stock, NF NXS2.5-10. Hawkins hunter DBM, Bix’nandy trigger.

A Bart 3b is going to be a bit heavy for what you are wanting to do. Even at 20" and fluted. Max I would go for a mountain style rifle that will have a NF on it would be 2b.

As for which maker, whichever one these guys have in stock that matches what you want. https://www.bugholes.com/Southern-Precision-We-build-exceptional-rifles-and-prefit-s/1818.htm

Edit to add: 8.5 or 8.7 twist will be just fine for your intended purpose.

Always go with the faster twist rate. I dont understand why anyone would want a slower twist? Fast twist still stabilizes light bullets but it doesn't work the other way around so go fast and have more versatility for the future when you start handloading.

Always go with the faster twist rate. I dont understand why anyone would want a slower twist?
There are times when going too fast twist on a very fast load can reach RPMs that cause bullet separation. Ryan just had this issue in his 6UM and poked a hole in his suppressor.

That said, for most standard rounds at reasonable twist rates you’re not going to run into that.

There are times when going too fast twist on a very fast load can reach RPMs that cause bullet separation. Ryan just had this issue in his 6UM and poked a hole in his suppressor.

That said, for most standard rounds at reasonable twist rates you’re not going to run into that.
Thats called play stupid games win stupid prizes...not a reason to go with a slow twist

Innovation and trying new cartridges is stupid? That’s a silly take.

The point is you can twist too fast.
Innovation and new cartridges are great, pushing a bullet well beyond its limits and shooting a hole in your suppressor is not.

I dont see how thats even debatable.

Point is people should not be afraid of fast twists

Back