Which bag is roomier, WM Badger or SG Chilkoot

Gli_ryan

FNG
The only thing I’m wondering is which 15 degree bag has a larger inside. Which is roomier. I know that makes a bag sleep cooler and I’m fine with that, this doesn’t have to be a real cold weather bag. I’m looking for which bag has more shoulder space and foot box room. Looking at the stated dimensions it looks like the WM is a tad bigger, but ive only been in the chilkoot. A 6’ long bag is all that’s needed.

sacklunch

WKR
The only thing I’m wondering is which 15 degree bag has a larger inside. Which is roomier. I know that makes a bag sleep cooler and I’m fine with that, this doesn’t have to be a real cold weather bag. I’m looking for which bag has more shoulder space and foot box room. Looking at the stated dimensions it looks like the WM is a tad bigger, but ive only been in the chilkoot. A 6’ long bag is all that’s needed.
The WM has measurements for that stuff...unsure on SG. I'm a side sleeper, at 5'10", 180, I don't feel cramped at all in the WM...although when cold, I usually roll the whole bag to the sides to keep it Snug around my face an d ot have to open up the draft collar

Guess it is too much work to spend a whopping one minute looking online when it is easier to ask others (plus a great way to build post numbers).

Look at the vendor web sites:

Guess it is too much work to spend a whopping one minute looking online when it is easier to ask others (plus a great way to build post numbers).

didn’t he / she / they say “Looking at the stated dimensions it looks like the WM is a tad bigger”? Seems like the OP looked at tthe website for specs but was asking about personal experience.

@Gli_ryan i have 50” / xxl shoulders and felt pretty good in the WM badger I tried. However, I haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet. Waiting for the right trip To pick up a sequoia.

FWIW I have had good luck with kifaru slick bags and Nemo discos but those are synthetic and heavier, of course.

OP
G

Gli_ryan

FNG

Waaaaa. I’ve already looked at the sites and they

did you read the post? I know what the manufacturer claims for sizes. They both measure differently though, also they are different manufacturers. I would not be surprised if they measured the exact same way and one was still noticeably smaller or larger.

OP
G

Gli_ryan

FNG
didn’t he / she / they say “Looking at the stated dimensions it looks like the WM is a tad bigger”? Seems like the OP looked at tthe website for specs but was asking about personal experience.

@Gli_ryan i have 50” / xxl shoulders and felt pretty good in the WM badger I tried. However, I haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet. Waiting for the right trip To pick up a sequoia.

FWIW I have had good luck with kifaru slick bags and Nemo discos but those are synthetic and heavier, of course.
I was looking at the slick bag, but I think I’m going to stick with a down bag for this setup. I have a 0 degree big agnes that does good into the 20’s.

I was looking at the slick bag, but I think I’m going to stick with a down bag for this setup. I have a 0 degree big agnes that does good into the 20’s.
I like my slick bag but it did lose some warmth fairly quickly… now it seems like it’s staying the same, but it isn’t as warm as it was new (always stored hanging up, not compressed) down bags are just a better investment unless you are sleeping in wet mild conditions, they certainly hold loft better over time

I’m in the same boat as you, though I’m considering the 2 you are as well as feathered friends. I personally want a less roomy bag, because as long as I’m not freezing, I’m not a picky sleeper… probably because I have spent so many nights sleeping on the ocean on a 2’ wide bunk… and would rather optimize warmth over room, but I know I’m an outlier there. From what I’ve found researching, the SG is not very roomy in the bottom half of the bag, it seems to be the only complaint I can find on them, which doesn’t bother me.

Wtf,what a dick!
You actually wasted your time responding like that,hell i know,lets just use google for everything and not even ask questions on the forum.
Sorry,i just get sick of internet police

Last edited:
OP
G

Gli_ryan

FNG
I like my slick bag but it did lose some warmth fairly quickly… now it seems like it’s staying the same, but it isn’t as warm as it was new (always stored hanging up, not compressed) down bags are just a better investment unless you are sleeping in wet mild conditions, they certainly hold loft better over time

I’m in the same boat as you, though I’m considering the 2 you are as well as feathered friends. I personally want a less roomy bag, because as long as I’m not freezing, I’m not a picky sleeper… probably because I have spent so many nights sleeping on the ocean on a 2’ wide bunk… and would rather optimize warmth over room, but I know I’m an outlier there. From what I’ve found researching, the SG is not very roomy in the bottom half of the bag, it seems to be the only complaint I can find on them, which doesn’t bother me.
thanks for that info on the slick bag! I’d love to get one to try out, but I’m just looking for down at this point too.

I was looking at the feathered friends a little bit, but I’m so happy with my WM Kodiak that I’m plenty content just limiting my options to these two bags.

I’ll share this new bag with my wife, obviously not at the same time, and she has wider shoulders than I do. She’ll use it in the summer and I’ll use it during hunting seasons. So we’re not needing this thing to be the warmest bag it can be, just want it to be the most comfortable to sleep in.

I appreciate all the information so far!

Seth

WKR
I can’t speak to the SG, but my badger is quite roomy for this side sleeper. I greatly prefer it to the slick bag I had before.

sneaky

"DADDY"
thanks for that info on the slick bag! I’d love to get one to try out, but I’m just looking for down at this point too.

I was looking at the feathered friends a little bit, but I’m so happy with my WM Kodiak that I’m plenty content just limiting my options to these two bags.

I’ll share this new bag with my wife, obviously not at the same time, and she has wider shoulders than I do. She’ll use it in the summer and I’ll use it during hunting seasons. So we’re not needing this thing to be the warmest bag it can be, just want it to be the most comfortable to sleep in.

I appreciate all the information so far!
Kodiak and Badger are almost the same dimensions internally. Kodiak is an inch bigger through the shoulders and hips, 2 inches bigger in the footbox. 66/57/41 to 65/56/39.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m in the same boat as you, though I’m considering the 2 you are as well as feathered friends.
I bought a Feathered Friends bag last year and it is one of the best pieces of gear per dollar spent that I've ever seen. USA made and tough to beat in my opinion. I looked hard at the SG bags and I'm sure they're good but I could afford to spend a little more on the FF and I have zero regrets.

It’s really hard to beat the WM bags and I do trust their measurements they post. They have a really large foot box on some models which I prefer.

I struggle with restless legs year round and nothing is worse than getting them in the backcountry. My favorite WM bag is actually my Everlite 45 degree bag with the drawstring opening in the foot box. I wish my colder WM bag had this feature, but I’d be the only one who’d want that in a colder rating bag.

I‘ve been against the idea of a quilt, but I think I’m finally going to break down and get one this year. I hate being constricted in a bag, and narrow bags make the restless legs worse.

Lando

WKR
It’s really hard to beat the WM bags and I do trust their measurements they post. They have a really large foot box on some models which I prefer.

I struggle with restless legs year round and nothing is worse than getting them in the backcountry. My favorite WM bag is actually my Everlite 45 degree bag with the drawstring opening in the foot box. I wish my colder WM bag had this feature, but I’d be the only one who’d want that in a colder rating bag.

I‘ve been against the idea of a quilt, but I think I’m finally going to break down and get one this year. I hate being constricted in a bag, and narrow bags make the restless legs worse.
Check out the Zenbivy, it's great.

DanimalW

WKR
I really like the WM Terralite. Love having that space to roll from side to side.

geriggs

WKR
I have the terralite with the extension as I am large in stature…..lol. Works great but I am thinking of selling for a zen bivy system. I just need a better temp rating. This is rated to 25f but I’m sure you could take it lower with a high r value pad and some insulated clothing.

Nice thing about the terra lite is you can open it up like a quilt on hotter days. Great bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk