Which AR Caliber?

TxLite

WKR
I think if factory ammo is a concern, I would go 6.5 Grendel all day. You can buy cheap wolf steel cased or nicer brass cased hunting ammo. The 6.8 is a neat cartridge and I’ve killed a few deer with it but it’s essentially dead when looking for factory offerings. I own both but I reload. In my area I see a lot more Grendel on the shelves available for purchase than 6.8. YMMV

Titan_Bow

WKR
I think if factory ammo is a concern, I would go 6.5 Grendel all day. You can buy cheap wolf steel cased or nicer brass cased hunting ammo. The 6.8 is a neat cartridge and I’ve killed a few deer with it but it’s essentially dead when looking for factory offerings. I own both but I reload. In my area I see a lot more Grendel on the shelves available for purchase than 6.8. YMMV

I definitely agree with you on the 6.8. I never see 6.8 on the shelves at Sportsmans, Scheels or Cabelas. I actually am seeing a lot more 6 ARC right now than I do 6.5 Grendel. Scheels particularly, has had Match and Precision Hunter pretty regularly when I have been in there

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
As an owner of ar’s in 223, 350 legend, and 6.5 Grendel I can say all are great to shoot with their own positive depending on purpose.

350 has been a tough caliber to get to function reliably. I’ve tried at least 20 dofferent mags and assorted bcg’s, along with several different upper and lower combinations. All have been less reliable than 223 or 6.5 Grendel builds. 350 is also a 200 yard gun in my experience on deer sized game.

6.5 Grendel is a great gun but it requires at least an 18” barrel to be great on game. I prefer hunting and shooting suppressed with 16” barrel or less.

I have no experience with 6 ARC other than a friend’s shots on a few deer. He said it lacked in having enough oomph to give him confidence in using it for deer sized game.

TxLite

WKR
I definitely agree with you on the 6.8. I never see 6.8 on the shelves at Sportsmans, Scheels or Cabelas. I actually am seeing a lot more 6 ARC right now than I do 6.5 Grendel. Scheels particularly, has had Match and Precision Hunter pretty regularly when I have been in there
I like the idea of a 6 ARC. My basic understanding is that it's essentially a 6mm Grendel. I think either would work depending on what can be found in OP's area, or buy online.

6.5 Grendel is a great gun but it requires at least an 18” barrel to be great on game. I prefer hunting and shooting suppressed with 16” barrel or less.
I see a lot of guys killing deer and pigs with 12.5" grendels on the grendel Facebook pages. I think it would be fine with a shorter barrel at moderate ranges and a decent bullet. Lots of guys using the 123 ELDM. Mine is 18" but wish it was 12.5" for maneuverability with the suppressor.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea of a 6 ARC. My basic understanding is that it's essentially a 6mm Grendel. I think either would work depending on what can be found in OP's area, or buy online.

I see a lot of guys killing deer and pigs with 12.5" grendels on the grendel Facebook pages. I think it would be fine with a shorter barrel at moderate ranges and a decent bullet. Lots of guys using the 123 ELDM. Mine is 18" but wish it was 12.5" for maneuverability with the suppressor.
I agree with what you’re saying on effectiveness at moderate ranges with shorter barrels. At a certain point it’s almost better to just go with 350 if we’re talking 200ish.

H

HappyHuntr

300 ham'r. If it works on hogs, it works on bears. the minimum .24 cal in washington is the biggest bull scnikes in the world. Governor dimslee and kelly poopwind for you :sick::sick::sick:

NRA4LIFE

WKR
If by chance you went with the 6.5 Grendel and live anywhere near Renton, Pintos had a ton of ammo. I bought it to shoot and then reload. It was almost as economical as buying brass and bullets and then I don't have to load them. Already have primers and powder.

Pokerface

FNG
I have a 6.5 grendel in bolt action and it is a great cartridge, My AR is chambered in 6.8 SPC and see no faults it it for your stated purpose. Ammo available on line if can't find locally.