Which AR Caliber?

Wouldn't a 308 would require an AR10 lower?
It would. And buffer tube and mags. Relatively small investment upfront. Price the difference between a box of 20 308s and some of the calibers above and it will start making sense fast. It will give you a hard hitting gun capable of big game out to several hundred yards. Plus, new gun.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Wouldn't a 308 would require an AR10 lower?

308 and the AR-10 are not compatible with your existing AR-15. It’s a totally different platform; different lower, different upper, different BCG, different everything. About the only thing interchangeable would be the magpul grip. If you go 308, you will be buying or building an entirely different rifle.
Cartridges like mentioned above, that are designed for the AR-15 platform, require you to either purchase a pre assembled upper that’s chambered in that cartridge; or building one yourself by purchasing a stripped upper, BCG, barrel, charging handle, gas system, etc.
Building them can be fun, and allow you to really customize what you want your rifle to do. You really have to ask yourself what do you want the rifle to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built a 6.5 grendel a few years ago. Can’t remember the reasons but I went that route over the 6 arc. Killed several deer with it and it performs well.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I was just looking at the ballistics of that 300 hamr, seems like a good option for thick PNW rainforest and calling animals in fairly close. Looks pretty similar ballistically to a 30-30 I’d say? Also, look at the 458 Socom, it is ballistically about like a 45 cal muzzleloader, or maybe a light load 45-70. That would be a wallop in a close range hunting scenario, especially in a little 16” barrel carbine.
There’s a lot of advances in the AR platform since the days I carried one in my day job. I like to see it being used in the field for hunting because evidently, according to CNN and MSNBC, they aren’t meant for anything but killing people……

robtattoo

WKR
Really? Nobody's mentioned the 6.8spcII yet?

Awesome, awesome little round. The Grendel only outshines it at longer ranges. The 6.8 trounces the 6.5 inside of 300. The only minor boondoggle is that it needs a different bolt head, but that's $40 worth spending.

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
One more vote for the 6.8 spc. I’ve taken my fair share of deer and song dogs out to 250 yards factory ammo.
Mine is a 12.5” pistol AR

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve built a 6.8SPC, it is a great round. My son has shot a handful of deer and a couple antelope with it and I’ve been really impressed with its lethality, really love that round. I will say it’s getting a lot harder to find 6.8SPC components and ammo. I never got a chance to stock up on 110gr Nosler Accubonds and I don’t think Nosler has any plans of making them again.
I went with 6 ARC for my current build because of bullet availability, given the popularity of the 6 Creed.

If you're already doing one in 300BLK I would just use that with the Barnes TTSX ammo for what you're wanting, it's perfect for that. The $$ you'll spend putting together a third rifle which you have no current use for would be better spent on higher quality components for one of the rifles (or both) or better glass, or more ammo.

When you have another use for a different AR-15 setup then use that third receiver to put it together.

Weldor

WKR
I've heard great things about the 300 Ham'r. Does anyone else offer it yet, or is it strictly Wilson Combat?
Just Wilson as far as I know. They now even offer a barrel change for the Ruger Ranch. I bought all my brass from Starline. Wilson offers it too. Dies are RCBS and Lee.

Weldor

WKR
I'm running 125 Sierra's for hunting. 2580fps out of a 18" bbl. CFE BLK. Have had good luck with 110 v max over 1680 too.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Which barrel did you go with?

I have a 16” AR Performance barrel in my 6.8. It’s really accurate, it will shoot MOA or better all day long with factory ammo. It loves the older Silver State Armory 110gr Accubonds loads the best.
I haven’t really got into reloading for it yet, as I’ve been putting off finding components for it. But as my supplies of factory ammo dwindle, I’ve been thinking of a few different bullet/ powder combos to start.

I have a 16” AR Performance barrel in my 6.8. It’s really accurate, it will shoot MOA or better all day long with factory ammo. It loves the older Silver State Armory 110gr Accubonds loads the best.
I haven’t really got into reloading for it yet, as I’ve been putting off finding components for it. But as my supplies of factory ammo dwindle, I’ve been thinking of a few different bullet/ powder combos to start.

Did you go with same for the 6 ARC build?
I think 6.8 components have, bullets especially have taken a back seat to 6.5 and 6.
I'm interested in building a 6 ARC. Very intriguing round. Just not sure if it's intriguing enough to get me to move from 6.5 grendel

Titan_Bow

WKR
Did you go with same for the 6 ARC build?
I think 6.8 components have, bullets especially have taken a back seat to 6.5 and 6.
I'm interested in building a 6 ARC. Very intriguing round. Just not sure if it's intriguing enough to get me to move from 6.5 grendel

For my 6 ARC build, I went with a Compass Lake Engineering 20" fluted Criterion. I just got it delivered 2 days ago, took right at 12 weeks.

OP
SteveAndTheCrigBoys
Any recommendations for vendors for 6mm ARC parts and pieces? I see grendelhunter, ar15parts, Odinworks, and few others have them from a quick google.