Which 7mm in a Tikka

Gila

WKR
My 284 win Lapua brass is .315-.3155 I really wish it was .314 because the GAP reamer used on my 284 requires me to neck turn.
How are you dealing with neck tension? What is your bushing size? I measured the neck walls with a ball micrometer but I have not loaded any up yet.

Gila

WKR
A 284 case with long bullets is just perfect for the tikka long action mags. Plenty of room and they feed slick from factory mags. The 5 round mags will fit 4 284 rounds.
The case has a rebated rim. The base diameter is just a wee bit less than the 300 win mag.

Gila

WKR
Tullis94 knows what he is talking about. I am just a padawan. He not only hand-loads well but he is an exceptional shooter. Get this, the guy had just broken in a new barrel and was ringing steel at 1000 yards!

284W is a dandy cartridge, especially in a Tikka. Likewise, the short mag derivatives are also great in Tikkas. Can get very good performance out of the long action rounds, too, even at 3.34. If you really want more performance, it's a simple process to get 3.6 out of a Tikka if you don't mind an AICS hanging down; I have a 7mm rem mag Tikka so equiped, and function is flawless. Pretty much comes down to how much performance you're looking for and how much recoil you care to deal with.

I like most any .284 cartridge, but if constrained to only one in a Tikka, I'd probably go 7prc. You'll get great performance with heavies at 3.34 so you can feed it from OEM or MT mags, which are nicer for carrying. You'll also be able to feed it with very solid factory ammo, which can be a big factor for me as I like to pull the trigger and don't always have time to reload.

Last edited:

2-Stix

WKR
I have the veil in 7RM, with a luepold vx5 3x15 boone...8#7oz. empty mag no sling.
Box ammo .75" all day. I shoot out to 800 yards for steel at the range.

I love it.

Last edited:

rootacres

WKR
So my 7 SAUM out of a 22" tube shoots 168gr VLDS at 2835fps (without really pushing it). That puts me at 2000 fps and 1500 ft/lbs at 600 yds. Those 3 numbers were the 3 benchmarks I used. I think it's a perfect elk combo. So far 3 for 3 and no tracking needed.

Alterra Arms Stock
Proof Sendero 22"
Bighorn Origin w/ DBM
Mark 5 HD / Hawkins rings
9lbs

** A SAUM on a Tikka long action would be a good setup.

Gila

WKR
So my 7 SAUM out of a 22" tube shoots 168gr VLDS at 2835fps (without really pushing it). That puts me at 2000 fps and 1500 ft/lbs at 600 yds. Those 3 numbers were the 3 benchmarks I used. I think it's a perfect elk combo. So far 3 for 3 and no tracking needed.

Alterra Arms Stock
Proof Sendero 22"
Bighorn Origin w/ DBM
9lbs

OP has a long action bolt face (.473) not a magnum one (.534) which is needed for the SAUM. The .284 has a rebated rim. In a 20-22 inch barrel, I think the .284 would take the prize. Brass is more available for the 284 Win as well. F-class puts the 284 Win on top. Barrel life isn’t my concern because I don’t shoot that much but the 284 Win barrel will last longer than the SAUM. Anyway, those are the reasons i chose the 284 Winchester.

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
284W is a dandy cartridge, especially in a Tikka. Likewise, the short mag derivatives are also great in Tikkas. Can get very good performance out of the long action rounds, too, even at 3.34. If you really want more performance, it's a simple process to get 3.6 out of a Tikka if you don't mind an AICS hanging down; I
I like most any .284 cartridge, but if constrained to only one in a Tikka, I'd probably go 7prc. You'll get great performance with heavies at 3.34 so you can feed it from OEM or MT mags, which are nicer for carrying. You'll also be able to feed it with very solid factory ammo, which can be a big factor for me as I like to pull the trigger and don't always have time to reload.
284W is a dandy cartridge, especially in a Tikka. Likewise, the short mag derivatives are also great in Tikkas. Can get very good performance out of the long action rounds, too, even at 3.34. If you really want more performance, it's a simple process to get 3.6 out of a Tikka if you don't mind an AICS hanging down; I have a 7mm rem mag Tikka so equiped, and function is flawless. Pretty much comes down to how much performance you're looking for and how much recoil you care to deal with.

I have looked at AICS mags but not sure how I feel about them. I’ve never ran them before and not sure if I’d like them.

You bring up good points on the 7prc. Having the option for quality factory ammo is always a plus.

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR

Alterra Arms Stock
Proof Sendero 22"
Bighorn Origin w/ DBM
9lbs

Your SAUM is doing what I want. I’m also considering the Sherman 7 max.

I have looked at AICS mags but not sure how I feel about them. I’ve never ran them before and not sure if I’d like them.

You bring up good points on the 7prc. Having the option for quality factory ammo is always a plus.
For hunting I use the 3 round models from Accurate mag. They don't stick down further than the trigger guard, so they don't catch on anything more than the rig would, anyway. If you like to carry the rifle in one hand while still hunting timber or snow tracking, it can be an inconvenience. It's plenty doable, just not as handy as blind of flush mag designs.

Last edited:
OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
OP has a long action bolt face (.473) not a magnum one (.534) which is needed for the SAUM. The .284 has a rebated rim. In a 20-22 inch barrel, I think the .284 would take the prize. Brass is more available for the 284 Win as well. F-class puts the 284 Win on top. Barrel life isn’t my concern because I don’t shoot that much but the 284 Win barrel will last longer than the SAUM. Anyway, those are the reasons i chose the 284 Winchester.
Well I got caught up in the momentum of this project and now have a magnum bolt too:).

I think I’m leaning towards the .284Win. It just has a lot of plus going for it. But I wanted the option of going the 7max or 7prc.

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
For hunting I use the 3 round models from Accurate mag. They don't stick down further than the trigger guard, so they don't catch on anything more than the rig would, anyway. If you like to carry the rifle in hand while still hunting timber or snow tracking, it can be an inconvenience. It's plenty doable, just not as handy as other designs.
That’s a good option. Thanks for the info.

Tullis94

WKR
Well I got caught up in the momentum of this project and now have a magnum bolt too:).

I think I’m leaning towards the .284Win. It just has a lot of plus going for it. But I wanted the option of going the 7max or 7prc.
With the options of standard and magnum case head I would pick whichever you can get a couple hundred pieces of good brass for. They all will do basically the same thing.
When I built my 284 Win this summer, Lapua was still making brass and it was always in stock. That ultimately was the deciding factor for me. Luckily I have a few hundred pieces that will last me the life of the barrel. Since that time they have quit production of the 284 until further notice.

Gila

WKR
With the options of standard and magnum case head I would pick whichever you can get a couple hundred pieces of good brass for. They all will do basically the same thing.
When I built my 284 Win this summer, Lapua was still making brass and it was always in stock. That ultimately was the deciding factor for me. Luckily I have a few hundred pieces that will last me the life of the barrel. Since that time they have quit production of the 284 until further notice.
Lapua came out with a memo recently that they temporarily weren't going to ship 284 win brass because of the war effort in Ukraine. As a result, people have been grabbing Peterson brass so it goes out of stock really fast. I did see some Lapua 6.5x284 brass in stock yesterday though.

Jon Boy

WKR
Love my tikka 284. Sweet set up. Some how my barrel is the fastest I've seen. 23" pushes 162 eldms 3005 fps and 150 eldx 3160. Lazer beam. Lapua brass and h4350.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
Love my tikka 284. Sweet set up. Some how my barrel is the fastest I've seen. 23" pushes 162 eldms 3005 fps and 150 eldx 3160. Lazer beam. Lapua brass and h4350.

That’s impressive! What barrel do you have?

Jon Boy

WKR
Is the 284 like a better 7mm-08?
What @Balderdash said. I love the 7/08 and is what the 6.5 cm wishes it was. However for more horsepower the 284 is quite a powerful and easy package. Not sure why there is so much more love for the 280 ai.

In my opinion, if the 284 win can't deliver the down range performance you want, its time to step up to a 30 or 338 cal. The bigger 7s just burn powder, have more recoil and all for not a lot more in down range performance.