Which 6mm?

Taudisio

WKR
More like 20-25 per inch. Then add 25 back for using a can… that has been my measured experience pre and post chop barrels.
Hence why I said I was being on the conservative side. I don’t want him to think his minimum velocity, with his barrel, will be 2700 (for example) and then it turns out his barrel is slow and only hitting 2600 and that won’t meet his minimum velocity/distance. Best to lean on the lower side and if you get faster, then awesome.

I do reload. One day I want to buy more factory ammo, but currently I need the cost savings that reloading gives me.

Totally get that. These days time is worth more to me.

That said. you hit things when they are on sale. And stock up. Sometimes its within pennies of what you can reload them for...........magnums and larger handguns obviously not:ROFLMAO:

pathnz

FNG
I have a 6mm GT with an 18 inch barrel. With 150 rounds on it I am getting 2800fps with a 108ELDM and a Hodgdon book max load of H4350. Precision is excellent, recoil is mild from an 8lb total setup, and I have killed 6 deer from 90-490 metres satisfactorily in the 3 weeks since I got it.

kkp005

WKR
I really like the 6CM. That’s what I’d go with. Been shooting one almost exclusively the last few years and it continues to impress

mtnbound

WKR
It would be at least 18” if not shorter.

I have also contemplated the 6 Dasher, but I had a couple reservations.

It seems really close to my 6 ARC.
I can’t find much about the 6 Dasher feeding reliably from factory Tikka mags.

With the short barrel I would say 6CM. But with Hornady offering 6GT at all dealers next year with the 109 ELDM, it’s hard not to go that route. I think it comes down to, is this your primary rifle or do you have a training rifle and how far you want to effectively kill an animal. Given the choice I would take the 6ARC in a gas gun and a 6CM in a bolt.

turbo406

FNG
Curious on the dasher as well mostly due to varget being the choice powder, I have noticed the recoil impulse on my 6 arc using varget is way more pleasent than cfe or lever so the dasher having a little more capacity and that same recoil impulse with a temp stable powder I use in everything else really sounds nice.

Well, nobody has recommended it yet, so I will.

I would build a 6BR or 6BRA. While the GT is the cool kid on the block right now, the 6BR has been going strong for a long time. Very easy to load for, will work just fine out of factory mags and super easy on barrels. You do lose a couple hundred FPS over the Dasher or GT, but I am not one to hotrod, so it isn't that important to me. With a 108 ELDM it will still have sufficient velocity at 600 yards to perform.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Well, nobody has recommended it yet, so I will.

I would build a 6BR or 6BRA. While the GT is the cool kid on the block right now, the 6BR has been going strong for a long time. Very easy to load for, will work just fine out of factory mags and super easy on barrels. You do lose a couple hundred FPS over the Dasher or GT, but I am not one to hotrod, so it isn't that important to me. With a 108 ELDM it will still have sufficient velocity at 600 yards to perform.
I don’t shoot the BR any of these cartridges (yet) so this is a legitimate question:

When you say the BR will work fine with factory mags, are you referring to BR specific mags? Which ones work for you?

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m not sure a br will get there in 18”.

My plan is a 20” dasher. For barrel life and a bullet starting at 2750 hopefully. 103eldx and 80eldvt should do it well.

OP
108ELDM

108ELDM

FNG
I really do like the idea of a Dasher as well. My 6 ARC is getting 2560 from a 20" Barrel. That still gets me close to 600 yards. I have thought in the past about getting the Atlasworxs CTR to AICS conversion and running a dasher. I do like the idea of having one gun that I can practice extensively with as well as hunt.

I don’t shoot the BR any of these cartridges (yet) so this is a legitimate question:

When you say the BR will work fine with factory mags, are you referring to BR specific mags? Which ones work for you?

I was specifically talking about the standard Tikka mags and Remington BLD mag setups. There is some room in them, but they feed just fine. BR specific AICS mags are just .308 mags with a spacer.

wyosam

WKR
It would be at least 18” if not shorter.

I have also contemplated the 6 Dasher, but I had a couple reservations.

It seems really close to my 6 ARC.
I can’t find much about the 6 Dasher feeding reliably from factory Tikka mags.

Dasher feeds perfectly from tikka mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
108ELDM

108ELDM

FNG
Dasher feeds perfectly from tikka mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have any Dasher Data you could share. I am curious what kind of velocity guys are getting out of hunting length barrels. If I remember right, Hodgdons data is a 30" barrel.

Lawnboi

WKR
I really do like the idea of a Dasher as well. My 6 ARC is getting 2560 from a 20" Barrel. That still gets me close to 600 yards. I have thought in the past about getting the Atlasworxs CTR to AICS conversion and running a dasher. I do like the idea of having one gun that I can practice extensively with as well as hunt.
Waters rifleman makes mags for the tikka at dasher/br length. I plan to also try and make factory mags work as well but the WR mag is already in hand for a standby.

Alternatively there are aics mags, along with Hawkins hunter mags with their spacer for dasher/br.

I see no reason I can’t make the tikka mags work just fine. I’m already feeding 2.6” 22 creed just fine so I doubt dasher will be an issue in a single stack tikka mag. So long as your setup dosnt have a lot of slop.

But yea, it’s an interesting option I’m excited to try. 2-3k round barrel life. Ability to load 80g for varmints and predators. Low recoil. SRP and tiny powder charges. Alpha brass availability.

I have a couple blanks for my match gun getting chambered for alpha dasher, if all goes well I’ll have 3 barrels ready by spring and make loading easy.