Which 308 bullet?

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Hi all! New hunter here. I’ve read plenty of threads about the “best .308 bullet”. I’m wondering for my specific gun, which bullet would y’all choose? I spent some time at the range today shooting groups with my new Tikka T3x lite stainless. The results are below, 3 shot group sizes at 100 yards:

Sub MOA
Sig Sauer Elite Hunter Tipped 165gr: .47” group
Hornady Custom SST 150gr: .63” group
Federal Premium Nosler Partition 180gr: .82” group
Hornady Black AMAX 168gr: .82” group
Federal Fusion 150gr: .97” group

Honorable Mention
Hornady Outfitter 165gr: 1.54” group
Federal Premium Barnes TSX 150gr: 1.60” group
Winchester Power Point 180gr: 1.82” group
Federal Fusion 180gr: 2.07” group
Federal Power Shok SP 180gr: 2.41” group

I also have some Federal Terminal Ascent 175gr I forgot to bring, and I plan on buying some Nosler Trophy Grade 165gr AB when I can find them in stock. If your choice would be one of those (pending group size) let me know.

The group sizes aren’t great, but I’m very new to this and it was a decently windy day (10-15 mph) so it’s what I have. Let me know what you’d choose for whitetail and hog and why. Not currently planning any elk or bear hunts, so not worried about that strength of animal.
Thanks!

SPC

FNG
I'd say anything that is on your sub moa list would be where I'd start. For deer size game your choices all look good. I am a fan of Nosler partitions so I would probably lean more toward the 180's but your not going to go wrong with a 168 gr bullet either. As long as you can put the bullet where it counts, the deer will never know the difference. Hope that helps

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'd go with those federal rounds with the Nosler partition bullets. I've been using partitions for years with great results.

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
What game are you hunting? The sig and nosler partition look good. Also the accubonds or the federal terminal ascent will be very good too if they group well with your gun.

PS.. did you buy these ammo recently or have you had them for a while?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hi all! New hunter here. I’ve read plenty of threads about the “best .308 bullet”. I’m wondering for my specific gun, which bullet would y’all choose? I spent some time at the range today shooting groups with my new Tikka T3x lite stainless. The results are below, 3 shot group sizes at 100 yards:

Sub MOA
Sig Sauer Elite Hunter Tipped 165gr: .47” group
Hornady Custom SST 150gr: .63” group
Federal Premium Nosler Partition 180gr: .82” group
Hornady Black AMAX 168gr: .82” group
Federal Fusion 150gr: .97” group

Honorable Mention
Hornady Outfitter 165gr: 1.54” group
Federal Premium Barnes TSX 150gr: 1.60” group
Winchester Power Point 180gr: 1.82” group
Federal Fusion 180gr: 2.07” group
Federal Power Shok SP 180gr: 2.41” group

I also have some Federal Terminal Ascent 175gr I forgot to bring, and I plan on buying some Nosler Trophy Grade 165gr AB when I can find them in stock. If your choice would be one of those (pending group size) let me know.

The group sizes aren’t great, but I’m very new to this and it was a decently windy day (10-15 mph) so it’s what I have. Let me know what you’d choose for whitetail and hog and why. Not currently planning any elk or bear hunts, so not worried about that strength of animal.
Thanks!
I’d go SST all the way, especially if it’s shooting good. I’ve dropped at least a dozen critters with SSTs and they’ve been great. Thanks for sharing, it’s hard to get your hands on that many loads. Hard to beat a partition too, 180 would be a thumper on a pig.

Partition is never the wrong answer. With that said, any of them will do just fine. Did you mention the ranges at which you would be hunting?

OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
What game are you hunting? The sig and nosler partition look good.
Right now, white tail and hog. In a year or two might go after some elk or antelope, but for now just deer and pig. Im really curious about the sig rounds but can’t find much on them. I actually started another thread about them specifically to see if I can get some info.
PS.. did you buy these ammo recently or have you had them for a while?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Bought them all in the last 6-7 weeks. Picked up a few different rounds at local stores, and the rest just scouring the internet. Ammoseek has been great. Federal’s website doesn’t show up on ammoseek and they’re constantly renewing their inventory.
Partition is never the wrong answer. With that said, any of them will do just fine. Did you mention the ranges at which you would be hunting?
I knew partition would be a popular choice. It always is on all the other “what bullet should I use” thread. Currently, being new, I’m limiting myself at 300 yards. Ideally closer, but I am confident I could get it done at 300.

TX_Diver

WKR
Partition. For whitetail and hogs any of those would work, but if an elk hunt is in your future I'd lean partition.

I'm assuming the rifle is a .308 Win?

OP
H

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Partition. For whitetail and hogs any of those would work, but if an elk hunt is in your future I'd lean partition.

I'm assuming the rifle is a .308 Win?
Yessir, Tikka T3x Lite Stainless in .308 win. It’s my first hunting rifle, and this will be my first season big game hunting, so I’m trying to gather all of the information I can.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
Im a fan of partitions and accubonds. Also primarily shoot a 308. 300 yards you will be fine.

FWIW. 291 yards. 165 gr nosler accubond Barrett Fieldcraft 308C1424C59-16DF-4D60-9437-6A6AC4C73FEE.jpeg

Last edited:

prm

WKR
I’d like to know more about the bullet Sig is using. Otherwise, the Partition would be my choice for a sub-300 round.

sdupontjr

WKR
Mine is a T3 not the T3x but when it was all said and done, the Federal blue box 150's shot the best until I shot some of my boys Rem corelok 150's. These shot damn near in the same hole at 100 yards. I did a write up a while back on my range experience with some SST's and how they were all over the place. Then shot the cheap stuff and drove tacks.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/tikka-t3-lite-factory-ammo-choice.155142/

Does anyone have any experience with Win 150gr Deer Season Extreme Point? Found a decent quantity, it’s either this or a case of 150gr Core-Lokts

Wrench

WKR
308 is awesome because it never "over drives" a bullet yet is fast enough to disrupt every bullet you listed at the range you listed.

A partition is never a bad choice, but in your velocity window I'd take a SGK and never look back. The fact that you will be the limiting factor on the shot is a good feeling too.

Quite honestly, at the range you are talking.....I'd choose whatever I could get my hands on and anything bigger than mice should be nervous.

Lee_R

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any experience with Win 150gr Deer Season Extreme Point? Found a decent quantity, it’s either this or a case of 150gr Core-Lokts
I used them last year on antelope out of a Christensen AR 10 with an 18 inch barrel. They would shoot sub moa groups all day long. 1st one was a 200 yd broadside shot. The bullet took out the heart and completely destroyed the lungs. The goat took 3 steps and fell over, no exit wound. The second one was similar but at 170 yds, shot was a bit higher and destroyed both lungs with no exit wound. Only found bullet fragments in both animals. Given the complete destruction and lack of an exit would, I'd be hesitant do a shoulder shot.

Jbogg

Lil-Rokslider
I’m fairly new to the .308, but have had good results on some large 300+ pound hogs with the Hornady SST in165 grains.
CB8C0669-6BA3-43BA-BDC3-7004B20C3CCB.jpeg