Which 243. Ammo???

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
Both my sons, my wife, my wife's sister, and several kids I have taken out for deer have had amazing results with this ammo. We have taken 25-30 deer, and 10-15 antelope with these. It is head and shoulders above any of the other loads we have tried. Many bang flops and the furthest deer went about 40 yards.

In my opinion, it is the best 243 deer ammo ever made.
i shot two deer with this load first one no blood he was at 65 yards second deer was at 100 yards 3 drops of blood and no more. a buddy of mine had a similar experince with the horandy sst and no blood and r little ammounts. then i was talking to a guy about three or four months ago said he swore by the sst loads and this man does too also swear by them but i dont know if that man i talked too had shot all the deer he had killed in the shoulder or what.

i shot two deer with this load first one no blood he was at 65 yards second deer was at 100 yards 3 drops of blood and no more. a buddy of mine had a similar experince with the horandy sst and no blood and r little ammounts. then i was talking to a guy about three or four months ago said he swore by the sst loads and this man does too also swear by them but i dont know if that man i talked too had shot all the deer he had killed in the shoulder or what.
I think blood trails are over rated, but I also mostly hunt out west where it is open. If you want a blood trail and a complete passthrough you’ll need to use a bonded or mono instead of a cup and core.

EmperorMA

WKR
I love the Nosler Ballistic Tip, Hornady SST and Winchester Deer Season XP for deer hunting. In the case of the .243, all of these will be 95gr. All three are rapidly-expanding bullets that offer excellent penetration and massive soft tissue destruction, which is precisely what you want to drop deer in their tracks.

Laramie

WKR
Are those sst in standard loads or the Superformance? It makes a big difference in the 243 from our experience.

However, if you are looking for a blood trail specifically, I would agree you need to select a different bullet that will pass through more regularly. I could care less about that because we get to watch our deer tip over.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
I think blood trails are over rated, but I also mostly hunt out west where it is open. If you want a blood trail and a complete passthrough you’ll need to use a bonded or mono instead of a cup and core.
well how come the deer i shot with a 270 win with a 150 grain power shock it was drt but it rolled and i looked where i shot him and it looked like you stuck a chainsaw in him

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
Are those sst in standard loads or the Superformance? It makes a big difference in the 243 from our experience.

However, if you are looking for a blood trail specifically, I would agree you need to select a different bullet that will pass through more regularly. I could care less about that because we get to watch our deer tip over.
they where the sst loads

LCsmith

Lil-Rokslider

I bought a box of these just to try out and they shoot amazing out of my gun so I've been using them for the past couple of years. I shot 2 doe last year that died within 50 yards and shot a doe at 160 yards this season with them. The lack of recoil is great. They are a lot of fun to shoot and watch your shots hit through the scope. Looking forward to having my kids use them when they are old enough.

Laramie

WKR
they where the sst loads
There is more than one factory load that utilized the SST bullet. The one I recommend uses the 95 grain SST at 3185 FPS. The other uses an 87 grain at 2800- much lighter load.

There also used to be other factory loads using this same bullet.

You want the superformance one. It is the most powerful .243 factory load available.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
There is more than one factory load that utilized the SST bullet. The one I recommend uses the 95 grain SST at 3185 FPS. The other uses an 87 grain at 2800- much lighter load.

There also used to be other factory loads using this same bullet.

You want the superformance one. It is the most powerful .243 factory load available.
it is the superformance losd a 3185

EmperorMA

WKR
I believe the "disconnect" is that you are blaming the SST for your bad experience rather than considering that any one (or more) of about a million external, environmental variables were much more likely the culprit.

In other words, the odds are it could have happened with the .270 Win just the same.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
I used the 95 grain sst for a lot of deer in a slow twist 243. Most of them dropped in their tracks. The 95 grain nosler ballistic tip performs about the same terminally with a better bc.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the "disconnect" is that you are blaming the SST for your bad experience rather than considering that any one (or more) of about a million external, environmental variables were much more likely the culprit.

In other words, the odds are it could have happened with the .270 Win just the same.
what could have happend i had shot two deer both close to sight in range(100 yards) the temp on the first one was about 28 degrees the second it was probaly 34 35 ish degrees. no rain no snow what else could have went wrong no brush either shot.

EmperorMA

WKR
what could have happend i had shot two deer both close to sight in range(100 yards) the temp on the first one was about 28 degrees the second it was probaly 34 35 ish degrees. no rain no snow what else could have went wrong no brush either shot.
Almost anything. Blade of grass. Twig. Clipped a piece of bone and tumbled. Any number of things.

The two longest tracking jobs of my life were made after “perfect” hits from a 250gr Nosler Partition fired from a .338 Win Mag at closer ranges. Found one of those critters a mile from where it was hit with both shoulders destroyed, both lungs destroyed and a hole through his heart.

What could have happened? Beats me, but it did.

Last edited:

Wyo_hntr

WKR
The cheap 100gr powerpoint winchester ammunition always performed well for me. Usually drt results on antelope and whitetail

Laramie

WKR
what disconnect i know a 270 is bigger than a 243 and there is more energy but less fps there is no dissconnect. i know a prettey good bit about guns.
I was going to walk away from the conversation but since it is apparent that you and a few others may not understand...

A 95 grain explosive bullet travelling at 3000 FPS has a lower likelihood of exiting a deer. It does happen occasionally but most of the time we find the remnants of the bullet on the off side, exactly as it was intended. It does devastating internal damage but good blood trails are not going to be the norm.

The 150 grain bullet from the 270 is going to do similar internal damage but will almost always exit with a large exit wound- leaving a noticeably better blood trail.

Both will kill the deer very quickly if bullet placement is good.

hdk82

FNG
I like the copper in my 243 for deer. In the event that bone is in play, that small fast bullet will just break on through. Now I’m going to go cue up The Doors.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to walk away from the conversation but since it is apparent that you and a few others may not understand...

A 95 grain explosive bullet travelling at 3000 FPS has a lower likelihood of exiting a deer. It does happen occasionally but most of the time we find the remnants of the bullet on the off side, exactly as it was intended. It does devastating internal damage but good blood trails are not going to be the norm.

The 150 grain bullet from the 270 is going to do similar internal damage but will almost always exit with a large exit wound- leaving a noticeably better blood trail.

Both will kill the deer very quickly if bullet placement is good.
but when you shoot something in the hight shoulder or at least in my experince with 270win and 300 weatherby mag they are drt a 243 win in the high shoulder if it cant make it through a bone plate 1" thick maybe less then it should be a coyte or fox gun and not something you should shoot a deer with.i am not saying that to argue but that is my opinion and everybody has an opinion.