Which 243. Ammo???

Dlogan601

FNG
Looking for a good bullet for my girls this year in 243. Not of them are pretty accurate shooters for their ages. They’ve both taken deer before with crossbows and this year I want to break them in with a 243. Most of their shots will be 50-100 yds. Mostly eyeing the sierra GK 100 grain, hornady interloks or the Barnes ttsx. For that distance what I’m yalls opinions would be a good bullet for expansion/penetration. Thanks

TN2shot07

WKR
If it likes the Barnes they’re going to be hard to beat, plus midway has them on sale for $33/box. At that range you won’t go wrong with a standard soft point either, 100 grain corelokts have taken a lot of deer

Pokerface

FNG
I or my family have used the 95gr Federal fusion factory load for 5 or 6 deer. All died in sight except one that was hit at a "quartering to me" angle and only hit one shoulder and one lung and did not exit. He only went about 75-100 yards though. Thinking about trying the barnes ttsx for more speed and penetration...Joe

Laramie

WKR
Both my sons, my wife, my wife's sister, and several kids I have taken out for deer have had amazing results with this ammo. We have taken 25-30 deer, and 10-15 antelope with these. It is head and shoulders above any of the other loads we have tried. Many bang flops and the furthest deer went about 40 yards.

In my opinion, it is the best 243 deer ammo ever made.

Any of them will work. It’s more about placement. I’ve used Barnes X (predecessor to TSX/TTSX), 100gr Core-Lokts and Nosler 95gr BT all with great results.

Yoder

WKR
I bought Federal Power Shock 100gr for my wife. She killed a small doe last year. Dropped in it's tracks. It was a small deer but the bullet went in behind the shoulder and blew through the opposite shoulder. Recoil isn't bad and they are accurate. If you are just shooting deer, I wouldn't spend a ton of money. It's not necessary.

Rich M

WKR
Know anyone with a 357 mag rifle? I load up 158 xtps and they drop the deer better than 243 with lots less noise or recoil. The girls will shoot better and the deer will fall over inside 100 yds.

KenLee

WKR
Cheap Hornady Whitetail 100 gr work just fine.
My favorite recent factory loaded 243 ammo was the Winchester Power Max bonded which of course, they discontinued.

cougarred

FNG
Killed lots of whitetails here in Texas culling on my ranch with the 100 GK for years. Switched to 95 Horn SST because they were cheaper and in stock couple years ago and have no complaints about either of them.

Both my sons, my wife, my wife's sister, and several kids I have taken out for deer have had amazing results with this ammo. We have taken 25-30 deer, and 10-15 antelope with these. It is head and shoulders above any of the other loads we have tried. Many bang flops and the furthest deer went about 40 yards.

In my opinion, it is the best 243 deer ammo ever made.
I second this. My boys have killed a truck load of deer with this round over the years. Impressive really how it drops them

nosajnh

FNG
Winchester Deer season XP Copper Impacts or Winchester Copper Impacts are a great cost effective .243 bullet for kids at that range.

rbaney

FNG
Pretty much any mentioned will work just fine. I have used the Sierra 85gr HPBT with great success and also the 95 gr Nolser BT worked well for me and shoot great out of my 243. Unfortunately the Sierra bullet is not obtainable right now.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Stay with something designed for rapid expansion that is 95 grains+. (NOT VARMINT bullets) I have had really good luck with the 95 SST load. The reason people have bad luck with 6mm and deer is because they think they need bonded or solid copper bullets cause deer are "big" for 243. You want bullet expansion. If you need more penetration use a bullet with a higher sectional density. Guys are killing elk with 6mm using this philosophy.

OP
D

Dlogan601

FNG
Stay with something designed for rapid expansion that is 95 grains+. (NOT VARMINT bullets) I have had really good luck with the 95 SST load. The reason people have bad luck with 6mm and deer is because they think they need bonded or solid copper bullets cause deer are "big" for 243. You want bullet expansion. If you need more penetration use a bullet with a higher sectional density. Guys are killing elk with 6mm using this philosophy.
Well said. I’d definitely stay 95 grain or +