which 2.5x15 scope? Or better ideas.

Bluesky

FNG
I have a fairly strict budget of up to $700. It sucks to be indecisive and on a budget... I get hung up looking for a unicorn.

I am looking for a scope. I have very little experience long range shooting/hunting but I do intend to get proficient at it. I am shooting a 6.5 PRC and would love to use it to it's potential! Main use would be Western and Alaska hunting.

My only real experience is with low end Nikon Prostaff BDC 3x9 and 2.5x12 (neither on the 6.5). They have both been effective at killing animals. and shows my standards are quite low.

I like the magnification range of 2.5x15 and if I keep my searching to that option I can find some deals, as soon as I open it up to 3x18, the options are too many and overwhelming.

I think I have narrowed it down: I'd like to go with MOA and FFP (mostly because the wisdom on here leans more toward FFP) but could be convinced otherwise.

In no particular order:
Athlon Ares BTR
Trijicon Credo (SFP)
Bushnell forge
Meopta Optika 6 (SFP)
Hawke sport Optics Frontier 30 (SFP)

Any other ideas or any stand out way above the others?
How would you rate the ones I have listed?

Swfa 3-15 if you have to have 15x, otherwise the 3-9 or 6x. They're all within your budget and work well.

Eurooptic might have a trijicon credo or tenmile in your budget, of the stuff you listed that's the best choice by far.

This subforum has a ton of useful scope performance info: https://rokslide.com/forums/forums/rifle-scope-field-evaluations.133/

This post and thread had a long mil vs moa debate, my preference is mils:
Post in thread 'Is there an advantage to mil over MOA?' https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/is-there-an-advantage-to-mil-over-moa.295873/post-2923037

OP
Bluesky

Bluesky

FNG
Thanks for the links! I would consider the swfa if I could ever find one for sale.

BLJ

WKR
I have experience (100ish rounds each on a 6.5 Creedmoor and 308, respectively) with the Ares and the mentioned SWFA 3-15. They’ve both been good for me. Repeatable tracking and zero retention.
I will say that I prefer the feel of the turrets and the reticle of the Ares.

I had an Optika 5 (4-20) and found the reticle to be very difficult to see in the woods.

All IMO.

BLJ

WKR
I would go with the Meopta Optica SFP.
I can't imagine hunting with a FFP in the dark woods.
SFP for me on a hunting scope.

I’ll add to my post by touching on this. The illumination on the Ares basically turns it into a duplex with the finer part of the duplex glowing red. Big help low light.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's our pleasure, as a long standing supporting vendor here, to discuss the different available options and special opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have the time. Thanks

I got caught up in the preferences for FFP here too. Come to find out, I am far from needing to hold for wind. Folks who need FFP know who they are. I enjoy having the best reticle at any zoom of a SFP. Besides, if I am shooting far enough to need to hold for wind, going to max zoom on a hunting scope to true the scale is fine.

OP
Bluesky

Bluesky

FNG
The Tract Toric 2.5-15 has what you’re looking for and is made in Japan.
I have heard good things about tract. Family members swear by them. I haven't seen them available very often and usually they're in the 900$ range. I would if I could!

Rob5589

WKR
From your list, the Credo stands out. I have 2 currently. Unfortunately you missed the boat when Euro Optic was selling them for leas than 600 for the 4-16. The SWFA should be on the list even though they're hard to acquire.

OP
Bluesky

Bluesky

FNG
From your list, the Credo stands out. I have 2 currently. Unfortunately you missed the boat when Euro Optic was selling them for leas than 600 for the 4-16. The SWFA should be on the list even though they're hard to acquire.
That's precisely why swfa isn't on the list. I'll keep my eyes open for them though. I can usually find the credo on expertvoice at a decent deal. Thanks for your input!

The 4-16 Zeiss has worked for me and you can find them in your price range at Redhawk rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have heard good things about tract. Family members swear by them. I haven't seen them available very often and usually they're in the 900$ range. I would if I could!

I’ve seen the 2.5-15 UHD FFP used for $750. New theyre $1000. Save up a little longer until you can afford a better optic.

JGRaider

WKR
I've had the 3-15x on a 7mag, 30-06, 260 Rem, 300 Win Mag, and 6.5CM over a 7 year period. It's been a fantastic, reliable hunting scope. John and Jon at Tract are first rate folks who will actually talk to you on the phone.