Which 10MM: Sig P320 Xten, Springfield XD Elite, or M and P?

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Zero feeding issues with the M&P. Shot all the plastics back to back and its controllability was noticeably better.

-J

Reactions: BCD

EcoastDG

Lil-Rokslider
I have the XDM Elite. So far it has been reliable with hardcast/HP 10mm and 40 cal FMJ/HP. It is surprisingly accurate as well.

Reactions: BCD
I have/have had the following 10mms:

Glock 20 gen 4, Glock 20 gen 5, XDM 10mm, Sig P320 X-Ten, and FN 510.

Favorite = FN510
Runner up = probably Glock 20 Gen 5.
Runner, runner up, Sig X-ten

Sig is nice, but barrel heavy and not reliable with all ammo... Can't feed 220s reliably due to tight mag clearance. That said, underwood 200s have been 100% reliable. Double tap and BB 220s are a no go. Ergos are great.

Never owned an M&P 10 - known of too many with feeding issues. One shop in town refuses to sell them due to issues they ran in to.

FN510 has been 100% reliable. Has shot maybe 100 buffalo bore and underwood 220s + a couple hundred FMJ and HP varieties. Manages recoil very well, my copy had an amazing trigger, and ergos beat Glock. It's my favorite 10mm right now. Great texture and good ergos.

The Glock 20s have been reliable and are predictable but not as fun:) I sold my gen 4 but picked up a gen 5 which has a holosun SCS so that's fun. Gen 5 feels better than the gen 4. It's like a hammer or a saw. Does its job and is a quality tool, but not a ton of character.

Springfield - this is my wife's... It's my least favorite... This is not the elite, but the older M. Sponge trigger and I hate Springfield's lack of grip texture and looks. Has been 100% reliable tho. Ergos are decent.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have about 75 rounds of Sig 180 FMJ through my X10. No issues yet. I did not notice much recoil with what little I've shot it. On a whim I grabbed the gen 5 G20 yesterday. I haven't shot it yet. I have some Underwood 200 Black cherry on order to see if it'll jam the Sig( according to some online). Sig feels great in the hand and comes with night sights and 2 15 round mags. Glock's supposed to super reliable and comes with 3 15 round mags. I did have to keep the sig mags loaded with 14 rounds for a little bit before I was able to get the 15th round in. And you really have to slam the fully loaded magazine to get it to seat.
You should be good with the underwood 200s... myself and several others on the sig forum had good luck with these. The coating helps with mag binding... the pistol itself is a great pistol... the mags are the issue because they are just a mm or two too tight.

BB and underwood 220s are hit and miss... but usually miss if you have a mag loaded with them - the pistol shoots them, but they bind in the mag and won't feed when there are more than 7-9 of them in a mag.

OP, you looked at the FN 510? I have a G20 and it's great for me but since you don't like Glocks that 510 looks nice. My son has a 509 and I have a 502 and we both really like them.

Yoder

WKR
If I bought a 10mm it would be a Tanfoglio Witness Hunter. Holds 16 rounds and has a 6 in barrel. If budget was a problem I would buy a Glock. Of the three you mentioned, I would put the XD last. I've seen too many Springfields crap out at pistol matches.

CCH

WKR
I’m a G20 guy. Have had a Glock 20 for about 30 years in one variation or another. I am not knocking any newer entries to the field by other manufacturers as I have not tried them.

I am not a huge fan of the grip of Glocks compared to say… a 1911, but don’t have the latest Gen to comment on. That said, with 200 grain bullets at @ 1200 fps, I can count on it.

Last edited:

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
Big vote the M&P. I have a buddy who carries the 4" in the woods and as his EDC. Just swaps mags for what he's doing.

Edit: I have a M&P in 45 (not my first choice) that I once shot about 1400 rounds through without cleaning and didn't get a single malfunction.

My Glock 20 has been the least reliable 10mm.

jzeblaz

WKR
Big vote the M&P. I have a buddy who carries the 4" in the woods and as his EDC. Just swaps mags for what he's doing.

Edit: I have a M&P in 45 (not my first choice) that I once shot about 1400 rounds through without cleaning and didn't get a single malfunction.

My Glock 20 has been the least reliable 10mm.
Is the G20 stock? I only had a few failures after I had monkeyed a bunch of parts, I believe something in the slide caused a few light strikes. I'll say the stock trigger leaves a lot to be desired, but Glocks are really known for their reliability overall. Ergos, not so much.

My hand likes the M&P grip more than any other.

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I had a G20 and recently bought the Sig X-ten. I like it much better. Better feel in the grip, better feeling trigger, optics ready.

Beendare

WKR
I'm just not a fan of glocks. I would never own one.
I’ve tested the heck out of my stock G20 with HC- no problems- Zero….and a lot of friends have them.

Its true, guys new to Glocks generally don’t like them….its a learning curve. Guys that need a good trigger to shoot well don’t like Glocks….you have to run a lot of rounds through them to shoot them well.

The M&P is a good platform…I don’t know a single guy that uses one. If you go that route, just make sure you run a few hundred rounds of hardcast through it to function check.

I would not do the Sig320 due reports from friends in the firearms industry and military testing.

Beendare

WKR
Man I bet that 20mm is pretty snappy.
I would say my G23 is snappier than my G20 with 200g HC.

That G20 is nice, fun to shoot, it could be my favorite Glock. It has the bigger frame so easily controlled if you get high on the gun.

Its nothing like the recoil from a magnum revolver .357 or .44.…and not even close to the SW329PD That weighs the same as a loaded G20.

I picked up a M&P this spring and recently ran some BB 220, Underwood 220 and 200 though it. I had 1 or 2 FTF and the mag dumped out on me twice. I haven't had one problem with ball ammo or HP I've put though it (maybe around 200ish total) so could just be "breaking in". It shoots great otherwise and fits the hand well. Going to shoot more HC though it and if it's not 100% flawless it will be traded in for something else.
I really like DA/SA I wish CZ would make a 10mm in their 75 line. I'm not a huge Glock fan but they do work from all accounts. I do like some sort of safety so might be leaning Springfield.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
For the life of me I don't understand why sig doesn't make a 10mm p365 derivative (probably an x-macro comp). This is something that's carried often and shot for training only. Needs to be lighter and smaller.

-J

Bravo6

FNG
I have/have had the following 10mms:

Glock 20 gen 4, Glock 20 gen 5, XDM 10mm, Sig P320 X-Ten, and FN 510.

Favorite = FN510
Runner up = probably Glock 20 Gen 5.
Runner, runner up, Sig X-ten

Sig is nice, but barrel heavy and not reliable with all ammo... Can't feed 220s reliably due to tight mag clearance. That said, underwood 200s have been 100% reliable. Double tap and BB 220s are a no go. Ergos are great.

Never owned an M&P 10 - known of too many with feeding issues. One shop in town refuses to sell them due to issues they ran in to.

FN510 has been 100% reliable. Has shot maybe 100 buffalo bore and underwood 220s + a couple hundred FMJ and HP varieties. Manages recoil very well, my copy had an amazing trigger, and ergos beat Glock. It's my favorite 10mm right now. Great texture and good ergos.

The Glock 20s have been reliable and are predictable but not as fun:) I sold my gen 4 but picked up a gen 5 which has a holosun SCS so that's fun. Gen 5 feels better than the gen 4. It's like a hammer or a saw. Does its job and is a quality tool, but not a ton of character.

Springfield - this is my wife's... It's my least favorite... This is not the elite, but the older M. Sponge trigger and I hate Springfield's lack of grip texture and looks. Has been 100% reliable tho. Ergos are decent.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
That's really good feedback! I have the FN 510 and really like it. Only two small complaints that make me want to try the X-Ten are, I'd like a slightly nicer trigger and I'd also really like a manual safety (you can buy a grip module and safety).