whetstone recommendations?

ok, steel geeks, does anyone have strong opinions about particular whetstone brands/products?

I have some random 400/1000 grit whetstone from Amazon that has served me well so far, but I am looking to buy a high-grit whetstone (somewhere between 3000-8000) for the finer work/touchups. I could be convinced to go with another combo whetstone that includes a high-grit or just a single grit whetstone.

I'm not aware of any brands that are the "go-to" or "gold-standard" of whetstones. Is there such a thing?

I do all my own sharpening on a stone for many years. I have found that 400 and a 1 micron strop is all that I need. If I was looking to fine tune it, id go up to 1000 but thats it. DMT makes some good diamond stones. Natural stones can dish out creating an uneven surface. I just replace the diamond stones when they wear out.

dtrkyman

WKR
I buy cheap wet sand paper, hot glue it to a piece of trim board or similar, 550, 1000, 3000, 6000, finish with a strop(old belt).

I like it better than my stone, the sections of grit are longer than the stone.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I just returned from a trip to Japan and came home with a handful of high end kitchen knives. Picked up these whetstones on Amazon. Used them to sharpen some existing knives and worked really well. Might add an even finer grit (~10,000+) in the near future.

FlyAK

FNG
Another vote for DMT. I have an 8” extra fine (1200 grit I think) diamond stone that puts a razor edge on everything from knives to my broadheads. It’s easy to clean and lasts forever.

grainhog

FNG
Diamond stones often don't come totally flat, and can't really be flattened. May not matter much if you're not flattening plane irons or chisels for fine stuff. In any case my favorite waterstones are Norton:

Really consistent density and slow to wear in my opinion. Just be careful about contaminating the higher grits with metal or debris from the coarser stones. But doesn't matter for just knives and whatnot. Coarse DMT stones are great for hogging through material.

EdP

WKR
I always preferred natural stones until 3 years ago I bought a knife with a SV35 blade and just could not get it sharp. Someone on another forum recommended I try a diamond "stone." My research said electroplated stainless was the best diamond stone so I bought a Sharpal 325/1200. So far the 325 side has not gotten used. For final finish and touch up I made a leather strop and treated it with 0.5 micron diamond spray from Handamerican.com. The combo works great for me. The knives that get sharpened most often are kitchen knives and it is rare for them to need work on the stone. A quick touch up on the strop is usually all that is required to have them back to shaving sharp.

Lawnboi

WKR
If you just want to buy one.

I also second going to the automotive section and grabbing an assortment pack of wet sand paper in 800-2000 grit.

A leather strop is nice to have to finish it off, I also use mine as a pad for the sandpaper.

I only really use a stone when the edge is really messed up.

Diamond stones often don't come totally flat, and can't really be flattened. May not matter much if you're not flattening plane irons or chisels for fine stuff. In any case my favorite waterstones are Norton:

Really consistent density and slow to wear in my opinion. Just be careful about contaminating the higher grits with metal or debris from the coarser stones. But doesn't matter for just knives and whatnot. Coarse DMT stones are great for hogging through material.
x2 for Norton stones

combo 220/1000 and combo 4000/8000. if you can hold the angle you'll get some scary sharp knives bringing them up to a 8k grind

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
I use DMT diamond stones. I have medium, fine, extra fine stones and can put an incredibly sharp edge on even tough steels.

It's not a traditional flat stone, but I use a Spoyderco Sharpmaker. It has done great for me for years, on several different types of blade steels.

mcseal2

WKR
I use a bench version of the Worksharp guided sharpener at home, their field sharpener in camp, and a strop. I have the ceramic rod from an old Cabelas sharpener in my kill kit, the glue failed in Alaska and the wood handle fell off. It actually packs a lot better now. It's good to touch up a blade while I rest my back for a minute while breaking down an animal.

Most of my knives I use a lot are 3V steel, S35, or AEB-L. The one I horizontal carry on my left side when riding horses is carbon 52100. A few convex blades I use a strop glued to a section of mouse pad or a Micro Mesh 3"x4" pad of various grits.