Wheres the bears (nw, mt)

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
I'm located here in the flathead valley of mt. This is my frist year putting the rubber on the fresh spring grounds in persuit of a bear. I've spoke with a few guys on the forum about which areas hold good bear in nw mt but I figured I'd start a thread to see if I can't get any other info about the spring bears here and where to find them. So far I know that they like to stay just below the snowline where there's the freshest of greens. I know they like the south facing slopes and that its common to catch them on gated roads where there's plenty of nutrution to get their digestive system back in line again. I'm not sure if any of you guys that have bear hunted here in the past have noticed any sort of pattern in the bears? Such as: Elevations they like in early may, Times of the Day they do and don't like, Do they stick to their same "spots" every year, How much does the weather affect them, etc... Any advise would be great!

There are bears everywhere this time of year. I live in the flathead valley and spend at least 3 days a week in the mountains around here. Best bet on finding bears is getting off the computer and put boots on the ground. It's as simple as that

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
It would be great to spend 3 days a week in the field but 40hrs a week of work restricts alot, therefore leaving me with 2 days a week but you bet I'll be out every day I can. Working at a machine shop I get alot of down time between cycles, leaving me time to get on the computer and do some seaching. Thanks though!

OP
MtnBum

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
There are bears everywhere this time of year. I live in the flathead valley and spend at least 3 days a week in the mountains around here. Best bet on finding bears is getting off the computer and put boots on the ground. It's as simple as that

I just wanted to follow up with you on my personal findings of last weekend. I noticed that anything under about 4,200ft of elevation seems to be right where the snowline stops around the areas I've been this spring. I did see a bear at the last 30mins of shooting light. It was feeding on a large open mtn side covered with alders and it was at 3,800ft of elevation. Had an awesome jet black coat but I couldn't get a good enough look to make the judgement on if it was a boar/sow before it fed up into some thicker timber and out of site, but hey it's deffinitely reassuring seeing them out.:cool: