Where to move?

I would consider the Carolinas, Missouri, Wisconsin and maybe a few others. My dad just sold a 4 bedroom home in WI that's near exactly between Milwaukee and Fond du lac for around $200K. It's an older home that had been completely remodeled inside.
Wisconson hunting is not on my desireable list for sure!

If you're on good terms with your and/or your fiancée's family, I would recommend considering proximity to them in your relocation decision. Having folks you know and trust nearby is a huge benefit, especially when you have children.
I can't emphasize how important this comment is. Next to career opportunity, proximity to family (as long as they aren't a huge pain in the butt) can be a major factor in improving quality of life for you and your wife once you have kids.

I know this because I did the exact opposite and moved to the middle of nowhere based on recreation preferences, with no family or close friends around. I wouldn't do that again.

I'm fine with humidity and my fiancé loves it hot.......just travel to go hunt several times a year.................. I also enjoy golf a lot
I think Florida could be a right up your alley. Lots of hog, gator, oceola turkey, and duck hunting if you don't mind a drive, but many folks definitely save up and then go on hunts out west and/or join a hunting club up in GA. Golf courses everywhere. Fishing is excellent year round. Tons of public access and piers, but you can get a kayak for cheap, and it won't take long to meet people with boats.

Me and my fiancé are looking to start our family soon, both of us being 28. Originally from PA but been living out west in MT for nearly a decade. The obvious spike in cost of living here over the past several years has us to the point where we can't afford to buy a house and rent isn't any better unless every dollar we make goes to the house. Currently we both work full time but when we have children we'd both prefer if she was a stay at home mom and she only work a few hours a week at a part time job if necessary, ultimately to avoid daycare costs and raise them the way we'd prefer.

With all of that being said I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on different states/towns to live in where there are jobs and a decently affordable cost of living? For background my work experience is in factory automation sales and as a manager of a manufacturing plant which I do currently. We have been looking at a lot of southeastern states including NC, TN, and AL in particular. I'm fine with humidity and my fiancé loves it hot. Also I know the hunting would be significantly different, but in MT I've lost all of my whitetail properties I had permission on to outfitters and elk hunting isn't what it used to be here. So my thinking is I'll have to try and keep a tight budget and just travel to go hunt several times a year. I also enjoy golf a lot so the southeast has a lot of benefits. Any opinions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, just want to be somewhere that I can financially take care of my future family. Thank you!
NC, TN, SC, Georgia,…… ETC fit the bill. The mid Atlantic south. Close proximity to population areas will be your best bet is my guess. I truthfully don’t know a thing about your field though.

Good luck and God Bless. If it’s your dream, make it happen. You’ll be glad you did.

We learned much of what to do in kindergarten. Careers are like fly fishing - there are good streams and bad streams - a bad day on a good stream will catch more fish than a good day on a bad one. On any stream, look for the productive pockets. Make sure your skills are good, keep hooks sharp and match the hatch.

If you’re in corporate/industrial sales, transitioning to an industry with more potential seems like a good move even if cost of living isn’t any better.

We’re just starting to get grand kids, and the amount of help we’re able to pitch in is significant since they live close by, so that can be a factor.

I looked back at Evansville IN where I got my start. Denver vs Evansville. Denver housing costs 254% what Evansville housing costs. I'm gonna say the OP will be fine anywhere from there on south.

The price of housing is off the charts in the west.

Me and my fiancé are looking to start our family soon, both of us being 28. Originally from PA but been living out west in MT for nearly a decade. The obvious spike in cost of living here over the past several years has us to the point where we can't afford to buy a house and rent isn't any better unless every dollar we make goes to the house. Currently we both work full time but when we have children we'd both prefer if she was a stay at home mom and she only work a few hours a week at a part time job if necessary, ultimately to avoid daycare costs and raise them the way we'd prefer.

With all of that being said I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on different states/towns to live in where there are jobs and a decently affordable cost of living? For background my work experience is in factory automation sales and as a manager of a manufacturing plant which I do currently. We have been looking at a lot of southeastern states including NC, TN, and AL in particular. I'm fine with humidity and my fiancé loves it hot. Also I know the hunting would be significantly different, but in MT I've lost all of my whitetail properties I had permission on to outfitters and elk hunting isn't what it used to be here. So my thinking is I'll have to try and keep a tight budget and just travel to go hunt several times a year. I also enjoy golf a lot so the southeast has a lot of benefits. Any opinions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, just want to be somewhere that I can financially take care of my future family. Thank you!
When you say factory automation, what is that exactly? Was it sales, technical? What types of products were you involved in?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Saw this map and thought of your post:

View attachment 709720
I do not how old that data is, but if you want something in WY under $350K it is a a bygone era unless you are into single wides. At least in our region.

Before we built our house we looked at a place down the road that was listed for $400K in 2020. We decided not to buy it due to a poor well and requiring a cistern.
That house just sold for $997K.

Things increased greatly since 2020. The dry prairie 8 acre parcel of sagebrush next to our place listed for $320K and sold for just under that a few months ago.
No improvements on it... just a chunk of sagebrush prairie.
Brings in desireable neighbors, lol.

Californians sell their 1100 sf 1970s ranch style home for $1.2 million and come here with loads of cash in pocket.

We are hours from Jackson BTW.

Last edited:
I saw this map which takes into consideration potential income vs housing costs. If you can find a job in a green county you should be good to go

IMG_5216.jpeg

It’s surprising how many don’t realize that some “affordable” states do have expensive areas compared to median income.

I’d be looking at the Mid west, eastern Kansas, Iowa, Missouri,is great for whitetail, but still easy enough to hunt the Rocky Mts

Last edited:
I saw this map which takes into consideration potential income vs housing costs. If you can find a job in a green county you should be good to go

View attachment 709775

It’s surprising how many don’t realize that some “affordable” states do have expensive areas compared to median income.

I’d be looking at the Mid west, eastern Kansas, Iowa, Missouri,is great for whitetail, but still easy enough to hunt the Rocky Mts
And it looks like your map is from July 2022. I imagine with all the corporate layoffs in the last couple of years, the disparity between median house value and income has only increased.

off topic a bit, but as mentioned.....how bad are the ticks in Arkansas?
They're bad. My dad has lived in the fort Smith area for over twenty years. He has to treat his yard pretty heavily and still has issues. They're noticeably worse there then here in central Oklahoma. The humidity is worse as well.

All kinds of information on the web. As for the map above - FL & TN do not have a state tax. GA, AL, SC, NC do.

I'd be looking at annual salary, state taxes, local taxes (I know NC has this), educational ratings and if there are any regional types of issues.

What if you "look for a job" in the diff states and see where you can get work, what the salary would be, what it would be like living around there, retirement potential, and go from there.

Country is in a tough spot and very similar to where we were with Pres. Carter. This isn't something that never happened before. Things will get better.

Anyway - i applaud you for doing what you are doing. Wish more young folks would step out and do what they need to do instead of complain from their parent's basement. Yes it is expensive and yes you can do it.

Oh - as an employer, we are having trouble finding employees. Engineering firm and not as many graduates these days, pretty interesting. We need engineers and scientists to function as a society. This is a good time to be looking for work in some fields and areas.

If you're on good terms with your and/or your fiancée's family, I would recommend considering proximity to them in your relocation decision. Having folks you know and trust nearby is a huge benefit, especially when you have children.
kind of a long story but due to friction between my fiancé and her moms newer husband we don't want to be in the same area. Otherwise I completely agree.

Back