Where is the best place to hunt true Stones?

R

rebecca francis

I am really trying hard to get a stone sheep hunt lined up, but know that some areas have more of the Fannins than the true stones. Any suggestions on where a good place to hunt dark Stones with a bow?

Bryan Martin killed some gorgeous dark Stone rams in his Northern BC area. I'm sure he could point you in the right direction. Good Luck!

I hunted with Barry Tompkins up in BC. Saw tons of rams and would highly recommend his outfit. I know a lot of archers who have hunted stones with him as well.

OP
R

rebecca francis

Thanks for the info. I will definitely check into that. Blayne when did you hunt with him?

I shot my ram in 2009. Originally booked it as an archery hunt back in 2007 but shot him with a rifle. When 2009 rolled around my wife was pregnant and due Sept 1st. My ram was dead opening day :) I'll probably hunt with him again in a few yrs and try to get it done within bow. Great hunt! They have been killing some monster up there including a 180 class ram last year. I don't think anyone has beenn killing better rams than Barry the last few years. I believe he has updated their website to showcase the last few seasons.

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted with Barry Tompkins up in BC. Saw tons of rams and would highly recommend his outfit. I know a lot of archers who have hunted stones with him as well.

He is probably the top stone outfitter in the province. $34,500 for a hunt.

thank god im a resident!

Lorne

Another option would be a Fannin sheep they're half the price and still count as your stone. Some fannin's are actually pretty dark in color.

Benny

FNG
I've talked to half a dozen of, who I would consider, top shelf Stone outfitters in researching/dreaming about a hunt up there someday soon and most of them say the same thing regarding color. Color has almost more to do with time of year than location. When their hair is long, the dark is much more prevelant.

Oh, and BC for sure...

OP
B

bearguide

where are good fannin sheep located. what guides/ i think rebecca is serious about getting a stone, and i do not think it will be easy to come up with 40000

I'll pull some info on the outfitters I was looking at for a Fannin hunt. Benny, the stones do get darker as winter approaches. With that said, some areas produce darker stones than others.

OP
R

rebecca francis

I'll pull some info on the outfitters I was looking at for a Fannin hunt. Benny, the stones do get darker as winter approaches. With that said, some areas produce darker stones than others.

That would be cool, Thanks!