When do you need to take winter conditions seriously on mountain roads?

tekhintsi

FNG
Thinking of cancelling a planned trip, but not sure if I'm just being a wuss...

Plan is to drive up some rough ( I believe dirt) roads to around 6500 feet in California for a deer / bear backpack hunt. The forecast for a town 2k feet lower calls for some rain over two days and nighttime lows in the mid-20s, so I assume there could be snow, ice, or mud.

While that's no problem for some, I have little experience driving on ice or snow (or much mud in the mountains), I only have an AWD SUV, and I have no winter vehicle gear like tire chains. Tires are just basic all terrain Michelins. My vehicle has performed perfectly over five years in the mountains, but I've only been in dry conditions.

Should I just go and drive slowly, go but buy tire chains, or pull the plug on this trip completely?

If there actually are winter conditions while you are there, chains of some type are REQUIRED. Typically in Ca, declaring winter conditions for an area is a very low standard. I would be looking at the storm as a whole, how long is it expected to last, how much precipitation is expected to fall, and expected temps for the travel route and planed stay location.

In snow, icy roads are the concern. All wheel drive out perforns 4 wheel drive due to differentation. If you only have one set of chains, you want them on the front tires. If your only looking at rain, significant rain, you're looking at flooding, mud, washouts. And landslides.

If it isnt significant rain or snow, I'd go (prepared), as there should be opportunity to hunt, unless fogged in.

Jimmy

WKR
This is your chance to GET experience. Bring chains, food and water, shovel, a way to stay warm. This storm is a short one and it's early in the year. Unless you drive off the side of a mountain you'll be just fine.

Taudisio

WKR
If I put myself in your shoes, I’d have chains all around.

This should be common knowledge, but make sure you toss at least a weeks worth of extra food/water and extra blankets in case you get stranded. A gps with an sos button will ensure you don’t become a statistic. If you don’t have a gps or funds to get one, tell someone where you are going and a set date they should hear from you so they can call search and rescue for you.

TaperPin

WKR
My work car was a Hyundai Tucson awd, and with simple cheap chains from Walmart it would drive through deeper wet snow than coworkers 3/4 ton 4wd pickups and bare tires. Low clearance chains are just basic with no cross bars or anything special. Forget about cable chains - too many malfunctions in my experience.

Just buy the chains and the rubber chain tensioners and think of it as emergency supplies.

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
Always take the trip. If you end up at a point where you don't feel confident driving just stop and hunt from where you can. That might mean more walking or not getting to the spot you wanted to be, but you'll be out there at least

OP
T

tekhintsi

FNG
Thanks so much for all the advice, this was super helpful. I think I'm going to go but buy two sets of tire chains. I already have a PLB and I'll bring extra food as well and leave detailed trip plans (I always do). I completely agree that this is a time I want to get experience, not just shy away, but be thoughtful about how I'm doing it.

OP
T

tekhintsi

FNG
Always take the trip. If you end up at a point where you don't feel confident driving just stop and hunt from where you can. That might mean more walking or not getting to the spot you wanted to be, but you'll be out there at least
My concern here is that it would be okay driving up but then the conditions would be bad going down after the weather comes through. I might also delay a day or two so I can make this kind of call, though.

mtnbound

WKR
Thanks so much for all the advice, this was super helpful. I think I'm going to go but buy two sets of tire chains. I already have a PLB and I'll bring extra food as well and leave detailed trip plans (I always do). I completely agree that this is a time I want to get experience, not just shy away, but be thoughtful about how I'm doing it.

Also bring a good shovel, axe/Pulaski, chainsaw, extra chain tighteners and practice putting the chains on before you need them. I would also say to get some tree straps, tow straps, a com-along and shackles for a small recovery kit. For the most part if you have to chain up that should be your clue to turn around and go back down in elevation. Throwing chains on and continuing on is a great way to get into a worse situation. Also park with your vehicle
already pointing towards your exit route.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Excellent on the two sets of chains. Many AWD vehicles will not handle a single set due to the ECU getting confused from the difference in traction.

Chain clearance is also important. Thule makes good chains that are fast on and off. Rud Grip 4x4 chains are also good if you have the clearance.

Good luck.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of good advice. Yes this is a chance to get experience but find out what the road composition is first. If it’s thick mud on a hard pack surface then you will still slide a little even with chains. How steep, curvy and are there drop offs? As said above check to see if your vehicle can accept chains, just because the chain manufacturer says it fits your tire size that doesn’t mean your car has the clearance for them.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I always suggest to carry a go bag with you to be comfortable for a couple days. Food, water, shelter, sleeping bag, inreach, etc. Only person you can depend on is YOU. Lots of other good advice here as well.

Randy

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
The best way to get experience is to just go and do it. Pack extra supplies in case you need to stay longer than anticipated.