When and Why to upgrade my compound bow?

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I usually only change when I want to try something new from a different manufacturer than what I am currently shooting. Its really a personal decision of "do I want to drop $1,000 for something that I probably don't need". Sometimes the answer is yes, other times my wife would kill me. Also looking at 1-2 year old used bows isn't a bad option.

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

WKR
Such good opinions, thanks guys. I think one of the draw backs for mine is not a hard stop on full draw back. It's definitely soft and sometimes I feel like I don't know if I am pulling to hard. But not sure if that is enough to get a new one for. Decisions, decisions. The are so many bows I don't know where I would start also, lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Cliffy12

Cliffy12

WKR
They big change would be different makes and models. All manufacturers have different designs and put a characteristic first such as hand shock or draw cycle. I would recommend killing something first with your bow and don’t shoot the new ones because something will picque your interest and it just gets expensive then
What is hand shock and draw cycle? I'm guessing the vibration you feel in your hand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

WeHunt

FNG
I'm just starting to hunt. Only learned to shoot with a bow.

How many arrows do you need to shoot a deer?

I am sure that I will not kill deer from the first shot so my new drop away arrow rest will help me out. Reviews of the TOP 10 of such staff for arrows say that I will be with it like Robin Hood. Well, let's see how the first hunt goes.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
WeHunt, I usually build/buy a dozen a season, maybe two if I am changing the arrow I am shooting from the previous season.

The advice in the thread seems spot on. IMHO, if you like to shoot and your season just ended...and you have the money, I would replace your Bear with one of the top of the line models from Hoyt, Prime, Matthews, PSE or Elite.

I put an adjustable sight on my bow this year and for the first time started shooting out past 60. Every shooting session I now shoot 65, 70, 80, 90 and 100 yards. My bow is a 2011 Elite Pulse with new strings and new limbs this season. It fires a 529g arrow 271 fps at 28.5" draw and 72#.

I think you will see more of a difference moving to the top bow from one of the top companies then you would if you were already shooting one of their bows that was older. I shot a Bear in the late 90s and have nothing against them, but they have become an entry level bow for sure and there is better tech out there.