What's your "Happy place"?

Often times when I'm stressed or want to imagine a place of solitude, I think on my elk spot, the different draws, timbered hillsides, the magical mornings I've spent creeping up to a herd of bugles, or waking up 2 hours before daylight to the sound of rain hitting my teepee and snuggling back into my sleeping bag, enjoying the fact that I get to sleep in. I love that annual trip, and when I'm out there it feels like nothing else in the world matters.... for 2 weeks my only care and objective is to kill a bull elk. Man, I love day dreaming about that...

What's yours???

Attachments

• IMG_3833.jpeg
    IMG_3833.jpeg
    672.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1594.jpeg
    IMG_1594.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 154

rlynn27

FNG
Classified Approved
When I was stationed along the central coast of California I would often grab a coffee and park my truck at a small isolated beach and just listen and watch the waves crashing, watch the birds and local wildlife, and take in the salt air. It was a way of recharging my brain and enjoying some solitude. I miss that place.

Too many happy places to mention them all, but here's a few:

- a stretch of wilderness river, when a trout eats my boy's offering, and his shrieks of disbelief and joy and the rod bends over
- any number of glassing spots in western Kansas, during the last few days of the archery season when everyone else is tagged out or thrown in the towl, when the darkness fades to gray and purple light and you pick up animals right away

TaperPin

WKR
Before discovering a sound machine with ocean waves, for a decade to get to sleep I imagined a certain deer hunt that opened Sept 21 - light frost in the morning, but T-shirt weather most of the day, and things are still halfway green. The memorable part was a long push up a big ridge and stopping for lunch and a nap up near the top. To get to sleep I’d imagine the hike up and the feeling of nodding off up high on that warm day.

bozeman

WKR
Outdoors: I had a chance to hunt a piece of private property in SD one year and I crossed a creek and climbed up on a hillside to get a look down over that creek bottom....honestly, most serene place I've ever been alone outdoors.

Indoors: An old church I attended, quiet sanctuary, at the altar.......peace....silence.....peace.

CorbLand

WKR
My grandpa bought 3/4 acre back in the 70s and built a cabin on it. On the deck is a sign that he hand carved that says "Seventh Heaven." There is no other place I would rather be than sitting on that porch.

I reminisce fondly of a memory I have back when I was 21. I took my old truck up a rough unused two track road while muzzleloader deer hunting here in Utah. The road topped out above a huge secluded basin below, must have been half mile to the bottom and another half mile across to the other side. I drove out to an opening that exposed the basin even more.

It was a picturesque basin filled with sage covered hillsides mixed with pines and orange and golden yellow aspen patches. The sun was setting illuminating the entire basin with a beautiful sunset. Just across the basin in the sage was a 6 point bull working his cows into the aspens amidst his bugles answering the challenge of the smaller bulls around him. I never even bothered to glass for the deer I just stared in awe and soaked it in.

If there was a heaven on earth I knew that I couldn’t get any closer to it than that. In that moment I knew I was meant to be in country like that, I’ve molded my life into having the freedom to spend more time in places like that, places like that are my happy place.