What's Your Elk Hunting Weakness?

Deadfall

WKR
Letting hunters I'm guiding talk us into doing stuff that won't work.

Not taking enough time for myself. My personal hunts are always rushed for freezer meat

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Patience and glassing for me. I pull up the binos after hiking to the top of a ridge or what looks like it would be a great glassing spot, give a quick 2 minutes and see another spot that looks great to glass from and move over there. This is probably a massive reason I don't have many people that want to hunt with me. haha

Poser

WKR
Also hate getting up early. Especially when I’m tired AF and it’s frigid. I can almost always muster it up out of duty and once I get going then I’m usually fine, but the act of getting up and having to hit “go” without comfortably lounging with my coffee is my least favorite aspect.

My weakness
Going farther when I should slow my roll and work the area I’m in and hang around a little longer.
Did that opening morning last year and had a rag horn almost run over me without letting me know he was coming. 😂

LoggerDan

WKR
I guess I’m viewing the term or phrase my weakness differently..

when I’m elk hunting up the northern tip of the OP, my weakness is a smoking hot bunch of elk tracks through some green fern and oaxallis. Rifle at port arms and it’s game on!

Mine is evening hunts! Just rarely hunt them. When hunting 23+ days in Sept. I may hunt 2-3 evenings. With that means I rarely if ever hunt all day, I just flat out get to antsy & bored! (grin) My goto time is daylight till 1pm.

What's yours?

ElkNut
Getting the right set up. Being a solo archery elk hunter I still can’t seem to consistently predict which lane they are going to come in on. When I think they will go through nasty thick stuff they take the easy route and vice versa frequently. So frustrating

I’m gonna sound like a weenie here but I honestly can’t stand the way I feel after not showering and sweating my butt off for a few days. Really starts to drag me mentally and don’t really know how to get over it.

BBob

WKR
I’m gonna sound like a weenie here but I honestly can’t stand the way I feel after not showering and sweating my butt off for a few days. Really starts to drag me mentally and don’t really know how to get over it.
That’s what a solar shower bag or a dunk in the cold ass creek is for 🤣 My Buddy for years refused to jump in the creeks. Too cold he said. I always told him it only hurts for a few seconds and then it all goes numb. The mid day lull is a perfect time to take a dunk. Finally broke him down last year and now he agrees it’s the best thing ever 😀

That’s what a solar shower bag or a dunk in the cold ass creek is for 🤣 My Buddy for years refused to jump in the creeks. Too cold he said. I always told him it only hurts for a few seconds and then it all goes numb. The mid day lull is a perfect time to take a dunk. Finally broke him down last year and now he agrees it’s the best thing ever 😀
Yeah I just need to commit to it. Do you use the solar shower for when it’s colder outside?

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Being too focused on killing an elk and not appreciating deeply enough where I am and the journey I'm on.

I've hunted most of the Western states and those hunts have led me to some downright incredible places.

Soaking in the entire experience, the surroundings, the sounds and smells, sunrises and sunsets....it's a skill I've been working on. It's hard for me not to be laser focused on getting it done. Every year I try to feel more connected to the experience as a whole, and not just the hunting part.

Small pump, garden hose and 20 ft of copper pipe coiled in an 18 inch coil. Put the coil in a fire and adjust the flow rate with the shower valve for the shower head. Too little and its a steam bath. Too much is cold. Your limit is the gas in the pump and/or the fire. Problem solved.

BBob

WKR
Yeah I just need to commit to it. Do you use the solar shower for when it’s colder outside?
Yes, for sure. Mostly out of the truck. When hunting out of the truck it’s not hard to quickly string a tarp around a tree and make a wind break. Add some boiled water if water is too cold. With some thought and practice you can use as little as 1-1.5 gal. You might get slightly chilled but you’ll warm up after you dry off but you’ll sleep so much better.