What's your do-it-all 5 or 6wt fly rod?

ScottinPA

WKR
Just went thru the same thing last month. I have a Fenwick Aetos 370 for small streams and wanted a 590. I wanted a medium fast to fast action. Thru my research I ended up with a used Winston Passport and really like it. I did want to try the Aetos in 590 and liked the reviews on the Douglas DXF but couldn't find it local to try. My son has the Redington Classic Trout and likes it. It's a medium action. The Hydrogen is faster and made my short list. Whiteknightsupply.com has the Aetos at $134.

Redington is owned by same company as Sage.

If you stick with a fast action stiff butt 5 wgt then you will get what you want. Basically high end sage, back, Helios or recon (used to be orvis access).

Read yellowstone anglers 5 why shootout and go from there. There is no need to spend 800 on a fly rod in my opinion as the 400 dollar ones are basically the same with slightly lower quality cork, slightly heavier guides, and a different wood real seat.

Overall for a do everything I would probably go with a bvk or orvis recon (access).

I have a 10 ft 4 why orvis access that has a stiff but and nice delicate tip that can throw small streamers (up to size 2 sculpins or so) ok, dries really well, and nymphs great

Haven't seen Scott Rods mentioned but the 9' 5WT Radian is an excellent all around rod. I also have a Sage One and much prefer the Scott. I'd go high end right away because you'll probably end up selling you mid range for an upgrade in a year or two anyways.

btp

FNG
OP I think you were asking more about size of stick than brand? I will say a 6wt is a bastard rod, not really perfect for anything, but able to do everything. Its really too big for trout unless your throwing big streamers, and then it's probably a little small.

For bass I use a sage bass rod, great stick for throwing poppers. For trout, like everyone else says, I think a good 4wt is perfect. I have a 8' for eastern freestones and a 9' for tailwaters.

I did a ton of trout fishing, but being a salty now we can debate which 8wt is king. That's the stick of choice for charlestons redfishery.

ChrisS

WKR
I've been running an original beulah guide series for the last five years and see no reason to change. It does everything I want it to.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's just about impossible to get one rod to do all things well. A fast-action rod does not drop tiny dries very delicately on the water, and a good small dry rod doesn't really have the action to throw large streamers and such across a large river. You can go with a medium action which does both sorta OK, but still not the best for either application. That's why most fly fisherman have multiple rods. I prefer fishing large rivers with large flies so most of my setups are fast-action, but I do have a 3wt light action for packing in and laying down small dries.

ben h

WKR
btp, that's funny, a #6 is sort of a bastard rod. I use a #6 Sage XP and throw streamers basically exclusively on medium sized rivers. I also keep a #4 wt handy if the fish are rising. I personally hate nymph fishing and almost never do it, but it does produce a lot of fish for people who can do it. I usually just get all that crap tangled up!!!

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
I second the Scott Radian. For me it hands down beat the Sage rods. Pricey but a local company (Montrose, Colorado). Lifetime warranty, no questions asked.

Rods - Radian

OP
T

topher89

WKR
It's just about impossible to get one rod to do all things well. A fast-action rod does not drop tiny dries very delicately on the water, and a good small dry rod doesn't really have the action to throw large streamers and such across a large river. You can go with a medium action which does both sorta OK, but still not the best for either application. That's why most fly fisherman have multiple rods. I prefer fishing large rivers with large flies so most of my setups are fast-action, but I do have a 3wt light action for packing in and laying down small dries.

Fair point, I guess I should say "a 5wt rod that can do almost everything I need it to on bigger waters". I have a 3wt for lighter duty so that end is covered.

ben h

WKR
One thing to be mindful of is how much wind you expect where you use it. Where I typically fish it's almost always windy and the #4,5's you can't really cast from a practical point, that's why I went to the #6 Sage with sink tip line. I do have the #4 Orvis, that I use a #3 line on for the infrequent times we have calm water, rising trout and minimal wind.

I'm surprised by the Scott fans. I have one and don't even know where it is and don't care. this was an early 2000's vintage so perhaps times have changed and they're good now.....I definitely prefer my Sage XP to the Scott.

OP
T

topher89

WKR
Local fly shop is having a Scott day with all their rods and reps. I will try to check that out and get my hands on the Radian and a few others

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Here's a bit from the Thomas & Thomas website on their Spire series rods:

"For many anglers, maximizing time on the water means being able to effectively adapt to changing conditions with a versatile fly rod. The new fast action Spire series has a quick-dampening blank with a responsive tip and considerable reserve power. Whether you’re casting small dries to rising fish, stripping a streamer behind a sink-tip or drifting a nymph rig – the Spire series performs in every situation. Featuring the classic Thomas & Thomas blue low-friction finish, the Spire is available in several unique lengths and models designed to maximize performance and versatility – the perfect choice when you have room to bring only one rod."

I had a T&T 6wt back in the 90's that I really liked, until some guy offered me a bunch of money for it.

I've been a St. Croix fan for as long as I can remember. My two go to sticks are a SC Legend Elite saltwater 8wt and SC Imperial 4wt. When I go to replace some of my old 5/6/7 rods it will be for an Imperial 6wt. Good action, sensitivity and backbone. Also made in the USA.

tater

WKR
I think the Sage SLT is a sleeper that a lot of folks overlook. It seems like it was a stop-gap product for Sage that filled a space while they were getting ready for "the next big thing".

Short lived rod that is as close to an all around 6wt as you can ask for.

I prefer a 6wt to a 5wt for an all-around rod. I like the extra oomph for windy days, chucking streamers, large chubbys & salmonflies, etc. It can be a little overkill on smaller fish, but it's nice to have the extra backbone when the conditions call for it. I think owning a 4wt and 6wt would be the most ideal combo to have you covered for most western waters

Hunthigh1

WKR
echo solo. 9' 5 weight. I see no reason to spend $300+ on a rod. I have always outfished my buddies with sage, orvis, etc with my cheap echo.

Save $300 to spend on flies, line, etc. Echo's fish amazing for the price.

JigStick

WKR
Temple Fork. I started with one of their 8wt rods for great lakes trib steelhead fishing. And this rod has taken some serious punishment landing steelhead, browns, and king salmon. It performed so well I decided to give their 5wt a shot, and it has been fantastic as well. I like it better than my SC Ultra.