Whats your best tip for spot and stalk Pronghorn?

Hey guys what is your #1 tip for spot and stalking the weary old Pronghorn?
JustinsPictures001.jpg

Last edited:
That is a hard question, but I would say my #1 tip would be to pay attention to the topography and not to stalk the antelope until they are in a stalkable location. It sounds like common sense but it amazing to me how many people will just walk at them in open flat country. I have had much better luck closing the distance in broken country.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
Range before you shoot!!! I guarantee he's farther than he looks! I also like to stalk them parellel to their travel path...

JSonn

FNG
wait until lower light conditions, they have eagle eye vision in mid day sun, but during dawn/dusk hours they don't seem to be so skiddish.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Range before you shoot!!! I guarantee he's farther than he looks! I also like to stalk them parellel to their travel path...

wait until lower light conditions, they have eagle eye vision in mid day sun, but during dawn/dusk hours they don't seem to be so skiddish.
I would have to say that these would be tied for my #1 tip even though I have yet to kill one I have gotten within range of several and have had better luck when stalking as close to parallel as I can and in the evening... For what it's worth...

Yea those are good ones.
gil_wy- Yea its amazing how flat prairie can really mess with your distance calculations. In the mountains I can get pretty close guessing the exact range. But when it comes to the wide open. Yikes!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use the topography, stay low, and S L O W movements! Moving only when they are not looking in your direction...try to move when they are feeding.

>>>---WW---->

Lil-Rokslider
Tried this once but it takes two guys to pull it off. My buddy and I had a good buck spotted about a mile away. The buck had us spotted as well. I stayed right there and my partner hopped in the truck and left. He drove around the road to the back side of the hill the buck was on.

When I saw my partner sneekng over the top of the rise, I started moving to attract the bucks attention. I walked about 25 feet or so one way and turn around and walked back. I kept it up while my partner was closing the gap. While the buck watched me, my partner kept getting closser and closer.

Finally at about 40 yards, he took the shot. Went right over the top of him. LOL! Can't say much for his shooting, but the double team set up worked pretty darn good.

I have been close once on spot and stalk w/my Recurve for a buck. Can't count how many doe's. But, then in CO for those over the counter tags Doe are not legal until after Laborday.

I have seen the bovine routine on TV once and in the field once. The TV had one of those Montana decoys the guy I saw actually had some thin plywood. Met him a day or so later on the road and told him "The paint you use reflects the sun you know!?" Damn are you kidding...he did not know I guess

Use the terrain to your advantage when ever possible and like J-rod said.....BE S L O W!!!!! When its super flat like a LOT of the ground i have hunted I LOVE using Garrett Roe's Heads Up Decoys. http://headsupdecoy.com/ I know that the Be the Decoy works....but you won't find me putting an antelope head on mine on public ground :) Get an arrow up my @$$.

J-Daddy

WKR
Look for a wash in the prarie, bail off in it and start crawling "watch out for rattlers"...I belly crawled a wash half the day last year on a goat, it was maybe 3' wide and 2' deep at the most, but it was enough to keep me out of his line of sight. I just ended up running out of ground on him.
Find a buck chasing a doe along a fence line if possible, it's amazing how close you can get to one when all he's interested in is her and she won't cross the fence.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
For archery....Spot them out of a ground blind on a water hole and Stalk them out of the same blind when they come to water:)

I tried 9 different archery stalks in NM last year with BTD outfit in very flat terrain. Only had 1 that ended up even close. It was daybreak and the buck was looking into the sun. Good terrain would be the #1 Tip for archery. Also note that 8 of the 9 stalks would have resulted in a shot less than 200 yards with a rifle.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was a buck that I decided would be the only buck that I wanted to kill one year. I was set on him or nothing. After an 8 1/2 hour stalk it finally came together. He was with 13 other bucks which made the stalking even more difficult. To add to that, look at the terrain in the backgound....that is what I had to stalk in. Gentle rolling plains with ankle to mid calf height. A lot of belly crawling and weeks of picking cactus...all worth it for a goat like him. The biggest factor was keeping my patience throughout the whole process!

attachment.php