What's your Backpack / Truck Camp Strategy ?

Hi Guys,

For the backpacking public land hunters, when you hunt OTC or 0-1 point draw units, what ratio of nights do you tend to camp at or what's your strategy of truck camp v. backpack ?

I'm committed to hiking in there to get away from crowds, plus I enjoy the peace of it sleeping under the stars, but I hear of folks wanting to stay mobile in case they need to change locations within a unit due to lack of animals or too much hunting pressure.

So am curious some of the strategies you use?

Thanks,

Steve

I like to use Truck as base camp and only stay out if
weather turns bad and no choice but to stay out overnight.
Az. is crisscrossed with roads on every hilltop and most ravines.
Getting away from ATV's etc. is next to impossible:cool:

Jbehredt

WKR
First night at the truck as we’re usually running out of work ASAP. If not in elk after 3 days it’s back to the truck and on to plans B, C and D as necessary. Generally. Not always big moves with the truck either. Sometimes just enough to get out of our on foot AO.

Gobbler36

WKR
Hi Guys,

For the backpacking public land hunters, when you hunt OTC or 0-1 point draw units, what ratio of nights do you tend to camp at or what's your strategy of truck camp v. backpack ?

I'm committed to hiking in there to get away from crowds, plus I enjoy the peace of it sleeping under the stars, but I hear of folks wanting to stay mobile in case they need to change locations within a unit due to lack of animals or too much hunting pressure.

So am curious some of the strategies you use?

Thanks,

Steve
There is no more hiking in there a ways to escape crowds. Everyone is the next Randy Newberg in their own minds. So with that said the truck camping strategy can be very deadly I feel and hunting those middle ground areas that people overlook. Plus you benefit from being able to stay mobile like you said and enjoy a nice comfy camp

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
There is no more hiking in there a ways to escape crowds. Everyone is the next Randy Newberg in their own minds. So with that said the truck camping strategy can be very deadly I feel and hunting those middle ground areas that people overlook. Plus you benefit from being able to stay mobile like you said and enjoy a nice comfy camp
I was listening to Henry Ferguson on a podcast and he was talking about this exact scenario, he said there's a ton of guys going gung ho on getting back in 5-10 miles and then there's your garden variety road hunter that's not getting very far off the trailhead, no offense sometimes I enjoy this strategy. He talked about the 2-4 mile sweet spot that exists right now. Not the rule of thumb for everywhere and I think you'll see that area deteriorate over the next few years as people drop out of the fad of getting WAY back in there but could be pretty productive in the short term. I know we were into good elk hunting within a couple miles of some well traveled roads last year.

Gobbler36

WKR
I was listening to Henry Ferguson on a podcast and he was talking about this exact scenario, he said there's a ton of guys going gung ho on getting back in 5-10 miles and then there's your garden variety road hunter that's not getting very far off the trailhead, no offense sometimes I enjoy this strategy. He talked about the 2-4 mile sweet spot that exists right now. Not the rule of thumb for everywhere and I think you'll see that area deteriorate over the next few years as people drop out of the fad of getting WAY back in there but could be pretty productive in the short term. I know we were into good elk hunting within a couple miles of some well traveled roads last year.
Yep

Haven’t done any elk hunting yet, but I can tell you from hunting and fishing public land, you see less people when you find obscure accesses.

Don’t use designated parking lots. Find an old firewood cutting “road”, shoulder pull off, bridge, etc. 90% of people just go to a parking lot and stay within a 30 minute walk of that spot.

OP
L
Good to hear it all. Guess I'm lucky to not be in good enough shape to be ultra gung ho packing 10 miles in and pack an animal solo 10 miles out.

Part of my consideration is also whether a topper for my truck would really be used for sleeping much, for the sake of better hunting success if would move regularly (rather than staying packed in and sleeping in the unit).

Azone

WKR
My hunting partner and I usually set up a nice base camp in a central location to everywhere we will be hunting, then spike out from there. We may only be in basecamp 2 to 3 nights on a trip, but it is nice having a cot with sleeping pad a woodstove and a propane burner to cook a real meal with.

We like to stay very mobile, if there is no fresh sign located after a couple days it's back to the truck and on to the next location.
We have been hunting the same area for a few years now, so we know when it's time to fold your hand and move on. This strategy has never failed to put us on animals yet.

The horse guys are pretty much competing with the super athletes now where we hunt. A lot of people have adopted the nasty hell hole approach, needless to say going 7 miles back into the boonies is not what it use to be. My friend and I are looking for human sign just as much as game most of the time anymore. No boot tracks and lots of hoof prints equals 😁 from us.

Oldffemt

WKR
My hunting partner and I usually set up a nice base camp in a central location to everywhere we will be hunting, then spike out from there. We may only be in basecamp 2 to 3 nights on a trip, but it is nice having a cot with sleeping pad a woodstove and a propane burner to cook a real meal with.

We like to stay very mobile, if there is no fresh sign located after a couple days it's back to the truck and on to the next location.
We have been hunting the same area for a few years now, so we know when it's time to fold your hand and move on. This strategy has never failed to put us on animals yet.

The horse guys are pretty much competing with the super athletes now where we hunt. A lot of people have adopted the nasty hell hole approach, needless to say going 7 miles back into the boonies is not what it use to be. My friend and I are looking for human sign just as much as game most of the time anymore. No boot tracks and lots of hoof prints equals 😁 from us.
+1