What’s the worst kind of steep?

yfarm

WKR
I hate all of it.

But the worst I had was Florida Mtns Steep. A few times, going up, I was panicking just a little but kept it together…. But then I had to go back down…. Down was 1000x scarier. I know I could have died if one thing went wrong. (Apparently 1 Ibex hunter/year learns this the hard way). My chest still gets tight thinking about a couple of the pickles I got myself into (solo). If I ever draw that tag again I’m bringing ropes and harnesses.

6105bcf9996cca8188aa8bc2316ccfb6.jpg

310a328ba2ad2d3069c7250ba8323b24.jpg

“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit.“

Chief Seattle
Been in the same place doing the same thing.agree

bbkick25

FNG
I live at about 30’ elevation and can consistently hunt above 10,000’ each year as long as I take altitude pills. But to the point, and as much as I hate deadfall, anything with scree can be terrible and dangerous.

MattB

WKR
Steep and deadfall sucks.

But climbing from zero to 1500-2000 feet through the hell of devils club, alder and wet grass on Kodiak was the worst steep I have ever experienced.
We did this the first night of a hunt. Starterd up around 2:00, my buddy killed a buck at last light (4:30?) around 1,500', and we made the dumb decision to head straight down the mountain rather than backtrack 200 yards to where we had come up. We followed deer trails the whole way up but we didn't cross a single one until near the beach going down. With the salmon berry stalks being 6' tall, our headlights were worthless beyond a foot or two in front of our faces. Couldn't see the ground so every step was dubious. We walked with our bows extended above our heads to keep them out of the brush.

About halfway down I asked my buddy, "how the hell you could even train for this?". His response? Shake weight....

You guys who are too good for "as seen on TV" infomercials won't understand. But that evening sucked. Day .5 of a 7 day hunt.

Last edited:

GotDraw?

WKR
12k ft, above treeline, extremely steep (so steep you can reach out and almost touch the mountain side) with slope covered in thick, wet grass. You can't kick into the grass easily because it's so thick and if you slip, nothing will stop you from cartwheeling hundreds of feet down, landing as one dead-ass pile of broken bones. So you kick in every step, pray that the sod holds when you transfer weight and it takes forever to cover 1/4 mi.

JL

OP
el_jefe_pescado

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
"There's alot of 99' cliffs hidden in those 100' contour lines"

Falling off a roof or falling off a hill......Don't gain any speed you can't afford to loose.

Live in the moment and focus.

Stay safe and make wise decisions always.

^This x 100. *Almost* ran into a “hole” yesterday that fits this description exactly. Puckered me right up that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
steep usually sucks, but blowdown sucks more

blowdown sucks, but slide alder and devil's club suck more :D

so in terms of percentage of suck: alder/devil's club > blowdown > steep :ROFLMAO:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
High altitude (fatigued muscles) + loose soil + fog/poor visibility

Steep is steep. Longer steep sucks, steep with deadfall/blow down/alders sucks worse.

There's no worse steep, only factors. I have climbed heavy vertical that's way better than flat ground bettle kill.

It's all just obstacles.

I think the worst kind of steep is where the deadfalls you are walking find you 30' over other dead falls. You realize you gonna die really quick on that broken limb below you. But it ain't no worse than being cliffed out, except it won't be as quick.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the worst kind of steep is where the deadfalls you are walking find you 30' over other dead falls. You realize you gonna die really quick on that broken limb below you. But it ain't no worse than being cliffed out, except it won't be as quick.

Been there :D

Did actually fall one time ,tightroping on a high blowdown- fortunately landed square on my back (where I happened to have on a pack!)

Been there :D

Did actually fall one time ,tightroping on a high blowdown- fortunately landed square on my back (where I happened to have on a pack!)

I been where I all of a sudden felt like I was in a Raiders of the Lost Ark. All them spikey things with no where to go.

Pretty hard on an Easterner.
All the natives taking advantage of me.

I hate all of it.

But the worst I had was Florida Mtns Steep. A few times, going up, I was panicking just a little but kept it together…. But then I had to go back down…. Down was 1000x scarier. I know I could have died if one thing went wrong. (Apparently 1 Ibex hunter/year learns this the hard way). My chest still gets tight thinking about a couple of the pickles I got myself into (solo). If I ever draw that tag again I’m bringing ropes and harnesses.

6105bcf9996cca8188aa8bc2316ccfb6.jpg

310a328ba2ad2d3069c7250ba8323b24.jpg

“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit.“

Chief Seattle
Stuff like that is the only reason I own a harness and ropes, etc....you scare the crap outta yourself once and then you go gear up becuase you know you'll go do that again. I am trying not to hunt in stupid dangerous terrain as often but there is a draw the mountains have that is hard to resist. Most of the stuff I hunt now is steep and rocky but has trees too so deadfall to deal with and I make myself turn back if I don't have gear with me for the terrain where before I would just scramble/climb.

It's kinda humorous when you reflect back and realize that was a climbing trip with some hunting on the side. I'm trying to keep them hunting trips now, lol.

hodgeman

WKR
The worst steep was coastal AK... climbing through an alder jungle. Miserable. Awful.

But the only time I got hurt badly was a fall down a scree chute in the Granites.

The one where ya slip and slide going up
Or down. Scree fields are the biggest pita

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve found in addition to snow, wet grass (especially bear grass!), blowdown and brush- a heavy pack will also further hamper progress up or down

kWbErBt.jpg