What’s the coolest thing you found in the back country

Found this one the following year right behind where I set up my tent.
View attachment 737773
Same trip found many petroglyphs, but this one was my favorite. Thought I might be in a good area to find my deer.
View attachment 737774

I've noticed something of a pattern in the Great Basin, with arrowheads, which is somewhat obvious on one hand, but I've never heard anyone mention it, and your petroglyph comment is a similar conclusion: Wherever I find arrowheads, I find deer sign. No deer sign, no arrowheads.

It's a generalization, and there are exceptions, but overall it's held surprisingly true. The thing is, in reality it's no different than finding different sets of empty casings in the same overlook spot while hunting, from different years.

I've noticed something of a pattern in the Great Basin, with arrowheads, which is somewhat obvious on one hand, but I've never heard anyone mention it, and your petroglyph comment is a similar conclusion: Wherever I find arrowheads, I find deer sign. No deer sign, no arrowheads.

It's a generalization, and there are exceptions, but overall it's held surprisingly true. The thing is, in reality it's no different than finding different sets of empty casings in the same overlook spot while hunting, from different years.
I didn’t find any points near the area I found the petroglyphs. I also didn’t get a buck. But seeing those petroglyphs made the trip. I have a bunch more photos of them that I will post up sometime.

mcr-85

WKR
A few years back, my dad and I were on a fly in sheep hunt. We came across a caribou that we couldn’t pass up.

Half way through breaking it down to pack out, dad had to “go set a bear trap” (aka taking a dump)

Enjoying his mountain side bear trap taking in the veiw, he looks over and see’s an old leg hold mossed into the mountainside. In it, 3 toe bones still.

Only thing we can think of, is the trap had a marten in it, and maybe a wolverine drug it up above treeline? We were km’s away from the nearest marten type habitat / timber.

We ended up forgetting the trap on a rock by the lake, luckily the next year we flew in, it was still there, with toe bones intact.

View attachment 731341View attachment 731342View attachment 731344
Badass old newhouse! Great find.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Excuse my ignorance, but it looks like you found rocks? Please explain!
Yes, you are right, they are all rocks. In the first picture there is a piece of volcanic glass that was knapped into a bird point. In the second picture there is some old graffiti on the big rock.

Bcon

FNG
When I was a kid hunting with my Dad, Grandpa and uncles my Grandpa and I found an old leather horse collar. He took it, cleaned it up and put a mirror in the center. Something I still have today. A close second would be an old 2 man buck-saw found when looking for mushrooms a few years ago.

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
I wasn't hunting but I was in the Backcountry when this magical event happened. You see I was walking down a trail and in the distance I heard what sounded like a waterfall. This was pre GPS days and I didn't have a map. I told myself what the hell so I struck out down a finger to the water. When I arrived at the edge there was about a 30 foot drop into a pool where I ended up seeing two young women that appeared to be a little older than I.
Let's just say when I made it down and introduced myself later that day I found the most amazing thing ever in the Backcountry.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I wasn't hunting but I was in the Backcountry when this magical event happened. You see I was walking down a trail and in the distance I heard what sounded like a waterfall. This was pre GPS days and I didn't have a map. I told myself what the hell so I struck out down a finger to the water. When I arrived at the edge there was about a 30 foot drop into a pool where I ended up seeing two young women that appeared to be a little older than I.
Let's just say when I made it down and introduced myself later that day I found the most amazing thing ever in the Backcountry.

Pix or it didn't happen. :ROFLMAO:

Eddie

P.S. And you were hunting, you just didn't know it. And you tagged out x 2, you lucky dawg.

You found your special purpose?!

WNYRP

FNG
This thread is great. Just joined this week and can tell I'm going to spend a lot of time here with so many of these awesome reads.