What water bladder are you using?

NWHunter

FNG
Curious what water bladder everyone is using and why? Platypus, Camelbak, MSR?
Right now I'm looking at the MSR Dromlite or Dromedary.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Camelbak for me. I had an MSR but I couldn't get the taste of plastic out of it. Even after several cleanings. Also the quick connectors are pretty slick.

Last edited:
I have been using the one eberlestock sells. I have used them for about 2 yrs and they have done ok. I like the valve on them. It has a cover and doesn't leak. I dont find it annoying to have to take off the cover.

They Seem to be tough but i did blow one out. Started leaking right where the hose connects to the bladder. Had to use a lighter to try and "weld" it back. It still leaked but at least I could keep water in it for a bit.

I am rough on my gear..... Liked it enough to buy another though.

I like how heavy duty the material is.

Floorguy

WKR
I got a platy big zip yesterday to use this year I have used the cheap wally world outdoor products and didn't like their bite valve other than that no complaints. The big zip seams sturdier and has that big opening.

I also got a demo jetflo to try out not sure if I will use it yet basically it has a manifold that you screw onto a bottle with two hoses one for air into the bottle and the other goes to the bite valve. It has adapters that fit on coke bottles Gatorade bottles and nalgene bottles. I have some of the 48 oz nalgenes but they are the hdpe models and the jetflo only seems to work with the lexan bottles.

OP
NWHunter

NWHunter

FNG
I have been using the one eberlestock sells. I have used them for about 2 yrs and they have done ok. I like the valve on them. It has a cover and doesn't leak. I dont find it annoying to have to take off the cover.

They Seem to be tough but i did blow one out. Started leaking right where the hose connects to the bladder. Had to use a lighter to try and "weld" it back. It still leaked but at least I could keep water in it for a bit.

I am rough on my gear..... Liked it enough to buy another though.

I like how heavy duty the material is.

That's my concern. I hate that feeling when your back is suddenly wet and you know you've blown a bladder out. As for the plastic taste in the MSR. I clean my bladders with peppermint denture cleaner. I wonder that would eliminate the plastic taste. The mint taste only last for a little bit and is pretty mild .

wetzel

FNG
I haven't been so lucky with my eberlestock bladder. I have had it for 2 years now. In it's defense It doesn't have a bad flavor. But two things bother me, one, the mouthpiece leaks slightly and the mouthpiece cover is so big it will not fit through any of the loops on my backpacks shoulder straps, causing some contortion difficulties to get water at times. I am in the market for something else.

That's my concern. I hate that feeling when your back is suddenly wet and you know you've blown a bladder out.

I just loaded up 50 pounds of sand in a dry bag and put that insdie of my Kifaru meat bag to use as wieght training. I hang it inside my T1 and where it hangs is right over the bladder..... I have been very carefull to not rest my pack with the sand on top.

But i have forgot once or twice and so far(cross my fingers and knock on wood) it hasn't burst the bladder yet. Thats why I like the eberlestock ones. The material seems to be a little more durable. My last one took one hell of a beating.... Like said im hard on my gear.

I haven't been so lucky with my eberlestock bladder. I have had it for 2 years now. In it's defense It doesn't have a bad flavor. But two things bother me, one, the mouthpiece leaks slightly and the mouthpiece cover is so big it will not fit through any of the loops on my backpacks shoulder straps, causing some contortion difficulties to get water at times. I am in the market for something else.

I hate how it wont fit through the loops too! I used 550 cord to tie it off.

I like the cap however becuase it stops it from opening acceidently. Either of the valves i had leaked a bit with out the cap too.

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
This year i picked up a geiger rig. I did not get the filter attachment

I used a 4l dromlite last year. I went back to my 2l source. I didn't like how the hydration kit sticks so far off the dromlite. I had to mount it sideways in the pack as for fear of breaking it from carrying a load. And I carry a nalgene anyway so I didn't need a 4l bladder it was just extra weight I was carrying. The bag itself for camp water is great though. I've got a 10l dromedary bag (the black one) and its tough as nails. I just don't like them for hydration.

Slim Jim

WKR
Platy 3L big zip and I'm going to swap out my old camelback bite valve to put on my platypus cause I don't like the one on the platy's. also a 6L MSR drom for camp water

WV Dan

FNG
I have 3 source hydration bladders and love em all. Camelback gets funky much faster in my experience and my source bladders seem more durable ....2 cents

I had a Plytapus but the welds on the spout came apart, never bought another one.
Moved to a Hydrostorm based on Mil ruggedness and have been happy.
Also have a Badlands square bladder that I use with some packs. Like it too.

But I have to admit I need to add some std quick connects to use w/ a MSR grav filter & 6L Dromlite as a base camp filter/shower setup. With the right QD parts I should be able to use it for multiple uses.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Dromlite 2l with a Nalgene for daily stuff.

Iv got a drom 6l for camp.

I use the MSR stuff cause its the only bladder that I have not popped holes in or has leaked.