What vanes should I run?

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
Okay. I am looking for some words of wisdom because I am not exactly sure what I should do. My arrow setup is a Easton Axis 5mm 300 spine. I am currently running a 4 fletch of TAC Driver 2.25 vanes with a wrap. Those come out to a total of 26-27 grains for my fletching and wrap. I am looking to change what I have on the back of my arrow to lose a little weight and help increase my FOC by just a little bit. Right now with a lighted nock and my vane setup there is a lot of weight on the back end. This crossed my mind because I am thinking about changing broadheads this year from a fixed to a mechanical. I have been using the QAD exodus, but I am very interested on giving the G5 deadmeat, or the new sevr's, or the beast broadheads a try. Which then I wouldn't need as much steering capability because of that. What do you guys all have for vanes on the back of your arrows. And what broadheads do you use. And how do they fly.

For reference I am a whitetail hunter where 50yds is pretty much my max range.

I'm about 100% sure I am getting rid of the wrap. Also I am putting new strings on my bow this year so I have to re tune everything anyways. So I figured if I'm gonna switch my arrow setup. I might as well do it now so I can tune my bow with new strings to the new arrows. Thanks Guys. And any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!!!! (From a 20 year old that will lay down his ego sometimes and ask for advice :)

Bohning Blazers are my go to. I have tried many others that have received a lot of hype and I keep going back to the Blazers. I set them with Fletch-tite Platinum in a helical jig. They have the right combination of rigidity, size and robustness for me to keep going back to them over others.

OP
Dylan Sluis

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
I have thought about a 3 fletch of hybrid 23, or a 4 fletch of Max 2.0 and a bunch of other stuff. So let me know what you think.

OP
Dylan Sluis

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
Bohning Blazers are my go to. I have tried many others that have received a lot of hype and I keep going back to the Blazers. I set them with Fletch-tite Platinum in a helical jig. They have the right combination of rigidity, size and robustness for me to keep going back to them over others.
I have definitely thought of a 3 flecth of blazers or that style. To me i kind of like a lower profile, they just seem quieter. But I know how well they work for sure. Thanks!

RC_

FNG
Ditching the lighted nocks is an easy way to lose weight and pick up FOC. But since that’s not what you asked for I would say to ditch the wrap and switch to a 3 fletch. I’ve really liked the AAE max stealths with a helical. Have had no problem steering Exodus out to 70-80 yards with that set up. That said they aren’t the lightest vanes around. Your TAC vanes are going to be lighter than a lot of options so you may just want to go to a 3 fletch with those if really concerned about weight. Axis is a higher GPI shaft so picking up FOC without stacking weight up front is going to be tougher.

If you're switching to expandables (which is totally logical and what I would do for white tail at the ranges you're talking about), IMHO you're over thinking the vanes especially if you're loosing the wrap (which should get you 5-8 grains depending on size). I've used Q2i Fusion, AAE Max Hunter, AAE Max Stealth all with excellent and entirely predictable results. Q2i will save you the priming process that you need to do with most AAEs. You're going to have to re-sight anyway with the changes you're making...why not just spin a 125gr expandable on there?

OP
Dylan Sluis

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
Ditching the lighted nocks is an easy way to lose weight and pick up FOC. But since that’s not what you asked for I would say to ditch the wrap and switch to a 3 fletch. I’ve really liked the AAE max stealths with a helical. Have had no problem steering Exodus out to 70-80 yards with that set up. That said they aren’t the lightest vanes around. Your TAC vanes are going to be lighter than a lot of options so you may just want to go to a 3 fletch with those if really concerned about weight. Axis is a higher GPI shaft so picking up FOC without stacking weight up front is going to be tougher.

Ya lighted nocks are something I feel like I just have to and "should run" just from the aspect of how much easier it is to find my arrow. And finding your arrow can be so crucial when trying to recover an animal. I Looked into the max stealths. Thats just hard because a 3 fletch of them weighs almost the same as my vane setup now. SO thats the only reason I don't think I am going to run those. So many people love em though!!

Reactions: Zac
OP
Dylan Sluis

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
If you're switching to expandables (which is totally logical and what I would do for white tail at the ranges you're talking about), IMHO you're over thinking the vanes especially if you're loosing the wrap (which should get you 5-8 grains depending on size). I've used Q2i Fusion, AAE Max Hunter, AAE Max Stealth all with excellent and entirely predictable results. Q2i will save you the priming process that you need to do with most AAEs. You're going to have to re-sight anyway with the changes you're making...why not just spin a 125gr expandable on there?

I dont want to go really any heavier with my arrow setup. I am right around 515 grains right now and I would kinda like to stay there. If I was a little lighter I would for sure just do that. I do want to keep so speed because like I said I am comfortable out to 50, so I am trying to find the best of both worlds.

These have been awesome for me. I've been using the 4FL5's for over 4 years and they have been great. These weighed in at like 25 grains but they options that go down to sub 10 grains. Shipping is cheap and fairly fast considering they come from Australia. They are also super easy to install and pretty dang tuff.

I dont want to go really any heavier with my arrow setup. I am right around 515 grains right now and I would kinda like to stay there. If I was a little lighter I would for sure just do that. I do want to keep so speed because like I said I am comfortable out to 50, so I am trying to find the best of both worlds.
Fair. But for the record, a 125 gr head isn't going to limit you at 50 yards. I have 200 gr total up front on my setup for hunting out west and I have range for well past where I should ethically be shooting.

So you will never shed enough weight switching vanes. If you don't want to change up front weight, you're down to the wrap and the lighted nock and going to 3 fletch. The other thing you can consider is switching to all white on the back of your hunting arrows. For years in CO, lighted nocks were illegal so I fletched all my hunting arrows with white nock, white wrap, white fletch. When the law changed I tried a couple lighted models and found them to be unacceptably brittle so I just stuck with the white which is pretty easy to find. Other than those options, you can consider redesigning the arrow from the shaft on up (start with lower GPI shaft - Victory VAP, BEA X Impact) which is a bigger expense.

Reactions: Zac

jbelz

Lil-Rokslider
I have never found a need to use anything other than AAE Hybrid 26's or Max Stealth's in a 3-fletch configuration. I have tried almost everything. Regardless, the amount of speed & FOC you'd be picking up by losing a few grains off the back would be of absolutely zero consequence when it comes to killing whitetails.

Getting rid of the wrap and one vane is going to shave about 10 gr off the rear end (of a 515 gr arrow). The effect on FOC will be minor; I would guess you'll gain around 1%. If you're just itching to make a change and don't mind peeling wraps and gluing on vanes, go for it...but don’t expect any noticeable change in arrow performance. This seems like a lot of hassle to "improve" a meaningless metric by a negligible amount.

Lowedown

FNG
I really like the AAE stealth hunters, but have you considered adding more weight up front instead of lightening the rear end?

Bump79

WKR
I get not wanting to add front weight. That will change tune, spine, etc and you might go to 150 grains which is somewhat more limited in selection. I do agree with mighty mouse. You're not gaining much.

For a mechanical you'll only need a 3 fletch in mid profile. If going between fixed and mech I'd go with a Q2i ZEON Fusion X-II vane which is very bright. Match it up with a Firenock nock only at 5 grains, ditch the wrap or go as small as you can, and you're quiet a bit lighter. I do like to add a small 3m reflective wrap that lights up when I hit it with a headlamp. Might be 1 grain or something. I can mail you some if you send me a PM.

3 fletch aae max stealth is my go to for my deer arrows running a sevr 1.75 they fly great all the way to 100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump79

WKR
3 fletch aae max stealth is my go to for my deer arrows running a sevr 1.75 they fly great all the way to 100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like Max Stealths but at 8+ grains each it's not what he's looking for. The Airrzr 26 would be a better bet.

OP
Dylan Sluis

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
I like Max Stealths but at 8+ grains each it's not what he's looking for. The Airrzr 26 would be a better bet.
I was just starting to look at the airzr's. I am really liking the Airzr pros in a 4 fletch. Because at 4 grains per fletch thats 16 grains for all my flecthings. that cuts off about 10 grains on the back which is exactly what I want. Thanks for your responses so far guys!!

Yep, blazers for me as well and the same fletch glue. For many years now. Shooting a quad exodus as well. The only vanes I have even considered trying are the super saber minis.

Last edited:
OP, I run a similar set up. Rampage 300's, 3 TAC Vanes, Wrap, Lighted Nock, 300 up front.

I'm also more than likely getting rid of the wrap, but otherwise staying the same.