What to do with old taxidermy (Clearing out house)

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
Coworker friend of mine has a family member cleaning out their house....including her late husband's taxidermy room. No one in the family is interested in taking any of it. Anyone have any leads on selling the lot? He's going to send me pictures and I'll post them here when I get them. He says there is a full bear, a bear rug, caribou, etc...

wyosteve

WKR
Do a search for taxidermy auctions. I know there's a place out of Texas I believe that does them. No idea of the logistics for transportation, etc. or what items bring at a sale.

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
Better check local game and fish regs too before selling them. And you might try local sporting good stores as well. I wouldn't look to get very much for them unless they are exceptional

jayhawk

WKR
Heck I’d call a local taxidermist. They may have some leads, and they would also know local regulations.!

If the bears are grizzlies and you’ve got the associated paperwork they can have value. The claws are worth money if nothing else. If they’re blank bears it all depends on what they are. What state are they in?

nobody

WKR
I know certain Sporting Goods stores will purchase them if the price is right, that might be an avenue to explore?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
If you have any antique stores near you they may have interest in some of the mounts. I frequent them and they always seem to have a mount or two. Elk and deer seem to be the one I see the most. Otherwise, If they have no sentimental value, just trash them.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Do a search for taxidermy auctions. I know there's a place out of Texas I believe that does them. No idea of the logistics for transportation, etc. or what items bring at a sale.

John Brommel died. I haven't been since he passed. But someone picked it up.

Don't trash them or break them down for horns. There is a very real market for secondary taxidermy. You won't get out what you put in it though.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Haha, this is funny. Just remember, no one is as infatuated with your stuff as you are!

Very true lol. I’d rather my memories and taxidermy be burned in a huge bonfire than chopped up and sold. Hopefully my kids will
respect it to some degree. I asked a good friend who is up there in age what he wants to do with his old taxidermy. Of course I offered my house/barn/shop especially for his stone sheep, big horns, goats, etc.

Wildone

FNG
Check with you local museum and See if they are interested in starting an environmental history display if you can’t sell them. Finished taxidermy shouldn’t be a problem selling though. The glitches lie if it is unfinished with most states. The does not seem to be the case here. Heck there’s a bunch of life size mountain goats on eBay right now.

Haha, this is funny. Just remember, no one is as infatuated with your stuff as you are!

I don't know. I have my granddad's shot measure. I bet I like it more than he ever did, because to him it was a tool, and to me it's sentimental.

wilbur007

FNG
I'm certain that a local high school would love to have some hands on specimens for students to handle. Perfect way to teach kids about hunting and ecology.