what to do with my 30-06 Tikka

Have a 30-06 blued only 40ish rounds that I can't sell on consignment as I've dropped the price and thinking of just keeping it and making it a backup rifle. I'm in Hawaii so fees+shipping make online not really worth it. Thinking of making it something like a heritage edition and put it in a wood stock with a 6x or 10x swfa or rebarrel to something different. I also have 223, 6.5cm, and 7 rem mag tikkas and beater 3006 savage so pretty much have everything covered. also limited by factory ammo.

Is there any plug and play stocks on a budget that fit a long action tikka t3x lite? I would prefer something wood. The OEM wood ones are going for 300plus and I'd rather spend that much, or deal with with bedding. I like the airtech pads so bonus if it can be directly swapped for those.

Can a t3x lite 30-06 be rebarreled into any cartridge that's more fun to shoot for someone that only shoots factory ammo? 300 PRC seems to be gaining popularity but i think needs a magnum bolt face? I still have some good 3006 ammo so don;t think I would seriously do this but curious if I have missed something.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you should turn it into a .25-06. Way more fun to shoot but I am not sure how the factory ammo availability is in Hawaii for that cartridge. That would be just different enough and compliment your other rifles well too.

Define budget? I bought a woox for my 06. If you run low direct mount rings like a dnz, you’ll be fine with clearing most hunting scopes on a factory profile.
0690bd693a4a0859bd858e54b311c5c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bojangles808
And a bolt stop. Unless you just want to run it long action you only need a barrel.

So any of these long or short action that's listed .470 or 473 are all interchangeable bc tikka uses a standard bolt? There's so many cheap takeoffs for sale that opens up a lot of options sweet.

Last edited:
OP
bojangles808
Thank you. Although now that I search a little harder looks like a lot of 7mags and 300 win mags for builds and not so much 6.5 and 6 mm takeoff barrels on eBay. I'll have to keep an eye out. Converting it to a 20 inch 6.5 is tempting but I think I will shoot all my ammo first which will give me time to find a barrel.

OP
bojangles808
Define budget? I bought a woox for my 06. If you run low direct mount rings like a dnz, you’ll be fine with clearing most hunting scopes on a factory profile.
0690bd693a4a0859bd858e54b311c5c5.jpg

Thank you I saw those but they looked a little more than I would like to spend. Kinda of looking 3-400 max

You can have a standard bolt face opened to magnum bolt face simple enough. If you cannot find a Smith on the islands then ship it to the lower 48.

Otherwise, the 22 creedmoor is now SAAMI spec.

atmat

WKR
You can have a standard bolt face opened to magnum bolt face simple enough. If you cannot find a Smith on the islands then ship it to the lower 48.
At that point, it’s probably easier to just trade it here for a magnum bolt.

Although now that I search a little harder looks like a lot of 7mags and 300 win mags for builds and not so much 6.5 and 6 mm takeoff barrels on eBay.
Keep in mind that Tikka doesn’t make any 6mm variants other than 243, so there’s just not a ton of volume. That said, takeoff barrels come up for sale here pretty often. I think I’ve seen a few .243 barrels this summer. JA Outdoors also sells new takeoffs.

I would keep it as a back up and not spend any money on it. If you don't really want it or are excited about it then I would keep trying to sell it. I have too many rifles that overlap and wish that I had spent more money on just couple really top shelf rifles and optics. I have several rifles that fit that bill but I have a lot of good but not great iron and optics in the safe. I would like to have the money spent on those for other top of the line equipment. Things I really am excited to own and use. I should follow my own advise……

OP
bojangles808
I would keep it as a back up and not spend any money on it. If you don't really want it or are excited about it then I would keep trying to sell it. I have too many rifles that overlap and wish that I had spent more money on just couple really top shelf rifles and optics. I have several rifles that fit that bill but I have a lot of good but not great iron and optics in the safe. I would like to have the money spent on those for other top of the line equipment. Things I really am excited to own and use. I should follow my own advise……
Thank you I think honestly this is what I should do. Not sink any more $ into it and just get my ego out of the way and sell and move on as I have everything covered with 223, 6.5 and 7 mag. I've got 3 boxes of fusion and a whitetail hunt in Alabama again this winter and I'll probably set it up for that but once that's done I'll keep it listed locally and try and sell I think.