What to do with Elk Hide?

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone had a hide tanned hair off and had it turn out stiff like for tooling leather?
Had a elk hide done hair off last year and it come out well but it's way too soft and supple for heavier duty things like belts wallets etc.
Slightly off topic, but how much did it cost to have it tanned hair off? Would it work for mittens?

Last edited:

Gerbdog

WKR
Make lots and lots of cadis flies....

I have several hides... im done carrying them out.... the only one that gets used is the one i didnt leave any hair on.... the lady likes that one, got turned into a throw / blanket on the recliner but.... the ones i left hair on ... i just keep stealing chunks for fly tying.....

Wapiti1

WKR
I've seen folks shave pictures into the fur. Can't recall who did it, but they can be impressive.

Otherwise, I agree, use it as a source of leather for stuff.

Jeremy

cnelk

WKR
I used to bring elk hides home, tan them or have some rawhide.

Then they got to be like other shit kicking around waiting to be used.

Now they are left in the woods

is it possible to make moccasins out of it? that would be sort of fun and keep your toes warm.
With the hair on the inside of the mocs, It would be a mess with the hair coming out due to wear, and if they get wet it will take for ever to dry. I would not recommend the moc suggestion.

yfarm

WKR
Just received gloves last years hide from Century Leather Products. Got 5 prs of gloves from one hide with leftover scraps. Have used them for years to tan deerskins, elk, Nilgai. As an aside it is less expensive to buy their products made from stock hides than your own.

dlee56

WKR
Slightly off topic, but how much did it cost to have it tanned hair off? Would it work for mittens?

It was about $350 for an elk hide hair off if I remember right and it would be perfect for mittens, I'm planning on sewing up some myself.

bmrfish

WKR
Following. I had one tanned and draped over my man cave sofa too but didn’t like it so now it’s rolled up in the closet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
I keep thinking that it would make an interesting beer koozie, but haven't gotten one tanned yet.

Jeremy

It belongs on your hunting partner's truck gear shift knob. Best installed when he's busy breaking camp.

Ralphie

WKR
Its not against the law (actually highly recommended) to leave it, and the stupid teeth in the woods. Especially if you have one you already don’t know what to do with.

Yea I have several hides with hair to include deer on top of China cabinet with antler display, Elk on back of sofa, Black bear with head (rug) hanging on wall. Deer on handrail at upstairs loft. Had some of them before Wife and I got married (26years ago) She didn't like them either. 15 years ago, I build us a Log Home gave her a very large walk in Closet. She gave me the whole upstairs loft area for a man cave problem solved new home was cheaper than new wife...My 2 cents