What to do with 20 preference points in Colorado

Family Man

Lil-Rokslider
So after this draw, I will have 21 Preference points for Elk in Colorado. I was looking at Units 1 and 201 but the point creep just keeps going up and a resident friend that was going to take me is now too old to hunt. Looking for suggestions on where to use these in the next three years.

Jaquomo

WKR
Presume you are a nonresident? There are more than 4000 nonresidents with your number of points or more. You will never catch 201. Unit 1 is a crappy unit - small, hard to hunt with the access issues, and you are unlikely to ever catch that unit anyway. Take a cruise through the draw recap report on the CPW hunting website. Hate to say it, but you are among the thousands in "no man's land" with only 21 points.

That said there are some good hunts to be had with fewer points, which you will be guaranteed to draw.

Jbehredt

WKR
Crazy to think you’ll have to dump them on a hunt you could have drawn with 6 points 15 years ago. Nice ROI in CO These days.

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I would research and find the top 3 or 4 units you can hunt with the points you have and then go hunt in the one of them that appeals to you on terrain, quality, access and other hunters success in past years. With that many points you can probably find someone that will help you out once you pick a unit you like. Good luck.

You will never catch 201 with point creep. Pick what weapon type you want to hunt and figure out the best hunt you can draw with 20. No one is going to publicly start spitting out units on the forum. It’s disrespectful to blow up a habit like that. You have some decent options. Do a little research and go hunt

ckleeves

WKR
Like others have said you aren’t going to catch the NW corner in the next decade or two. Even 61 took 23 points to be “in it” last year for the 2nd-3rd-4th rifle seasons. Archery and muzzy took more.

I would be looking at an archery or first rifle tag in a very high altitude unit in the SW region if you wanted to burn them soon.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I've got 26 NR elk points and have only tried to draw a tag the last two years. Can someone point me to that list that shows how many folks are sitting on how many points?

ckleeves

WKR
Check the first page of the draw recap. It won’t show people who have points and didn’t apply last year, but it’s a pretty safe bet that most people with 20+ probably didn’t miss a year. I’m sure a handful do but that’s gonna get you real close.

Plenty of good units that take less than that to draw. Pick one you’re guaranteed and go hunt.

tracker12

WKR
I drew the 1 NR archery tag for unit 2 9 years ago with 21 points. I was lucky that I git in early enough to use the points before I die. That was great but I am now in the same position as you with my deer points. I had my heart set on a 4th season tag but realized it was not going to happen so I moved to a 3rd season hunt. Well that hasn't happened either so this year I moved to another 3rd season Unit. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Beendare

WKR
Wow i never would have dreamed it would take so many points to draw an elk tag.
It was predictable.

When you have thousands of guys vying for a unit that only gives out 1,2 or 3 non res tags….understandably it will take many decades to wash through that many point holders with many dying on the list.

I agree with Brads advice…pick a unit you can draw and go hunt…

I have 28 NR points and went down the list until I was virtually guaranteed to draw. I got Unit 61.
I have only hunted the oak brush once and was lucky calling in a bull early. That was a long time ago. Not my favorite habitat but I am going to have a great time, barring any misfortune.
I am stacked the same way for mule deer and antelope and will learn the area for when I am even older to go back for a deer.
I drew a bear tag also, so I am not going to be idle.