What to do after harvesting mountain lion

choppd

FNG
I've been out hunting big game (deer, elk, etc.) and picked up a mountain lion tag just in case I run into one. My question to anyone with experience, is what do you do with a lion after the kill? Are they good to eat? I don't have experience in this area.

OP
C

choppd

FNG
I’ve prepared mountain lion for several folks and did not tell them what it was. I asked them to describe what it tastes like and every single person has told me it tastes like one of the best pork chops they’ve ever had.
So you can use the animal at least? I was worried that the meat is not great to eat, and I don't much care to mount it like a taxidermy.

waspocrew

WKR
My brother cooked his - said it tasted like pork. I'll probably grab a tag this season and give it a try.

I’ve prepared mountain lion for several folks and did not tell them what it was. I asked them to describe what it tastes like and every single person has told me it tastes like one of the best pork chops they’ve ever had.

Any special cooking differences to note, or do you just cook it like pork?

Smoke10

FNG
I wouldn't try it if it was not thoroughly cooked to avoid risk of parasites.
I've used mtn lion burger and made casseroles and then chislic pan fried in butter.
But yes mtn lion is similar to pork and very good in my opinion.

If I get the opportunity to harvest another lion, I plan to take the meat.

On 11/11/11, we had a wild game cook off to determine the best tasting meat. We had goose, duck, bear, Rocky Mountain elk, Roosevelt elk, moose, whitetail, blacktail, mule deer, antelope, bison, cougar, nutria, and various beef thrown in for good measure.

All meat was ground, seasoned, and cooked the same. Four women served slider burgers to a group of maybe 20 blind taste testers, who then ranked each game without knowing what it was. The top 3 shocked everyone.

1. Nutria
2. Cougar
3. Antelope

Yes, cougar is delicious. I've only had a few meals from two cats, but I recall it tasting like a 150-pound pheasant.