What states require 'back tags' to be worn?

When growing up in New York, all hunters were required to wear a "back tag" while hunting. It's an index-card-sized placard with your hunting license number on it that you displayed on your upper back. I believe they still require it.

Any other states require this?

Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
Seems like a good idea. If you set a ground blind up in my state you have to have your name, number and tag number on the blind.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I bought up a large pallet full of stuff from an estate sale and found 2 of them from the early 50's from Michigan. Also dug up recently one of the back tag holders from the old WI days. The plastic ones with the giant safety pin attached. Good memories.

I Am Gunz

Lil-Rokslider
I miss having to wear them in Wisconsin. We used to play poker, best 5 card hand you could make from your backtag won the pot. My favorite part was always going to the registration station (usually a bar) and seeing what everyone hauled in. Having a beer and shooting the shit while telling hunting stories. Those were the good ol’ days.

Erict

WKR
When growing up in New York, all hunters were required to wear a "back tag" while hunting. It's an index-card-sized placard with your hunting license number on it that you displayed on your upper back. I believe they still require it.,,

New York eliminated the back tag requirement as of 06/28/24. Read about it HERE if needed.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I actually have one from my grandfather that is made out of metal from Ohio. It’s still in a leather hanger for the back.
I had to wear them as a kid, but when I started hunting again as an adult I didn’t have to so I’m not really sure when Ohio stopped.
image.jpg

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
NJ still requires back tags, but allegedly, NJ will be switching to a digital format soon. Pennsylvania also requires a back tag as well as of now.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I miss having to wear them in Wisconsin. We used to play poker, best 5 card hand you could make from your backtag won the pot. My favorite part was always going to the registration station (usually a bar) and seeing what everyone hauled in. Having a beer and shooting the shit while telling hunting stories. Those were the good ol’ days.
I don't miss the back tags, but I sure miss the registration stations. Going home and registering on the website isn’t nearly as fun as rolling down to the bar with a truck bed full of deer from the weekend and telling stories.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
Having the tag exposed is a big PIA. Waiting for NJ to join the rest of the country. I do wish registration stations were still mandatory. Or at least some shops would keep up with it. State paid the shops a fee to do check ins, cost them $2.50/deer. 50,000 deer = $money$ i'd rather see spent back on wildlife habitat.

Jumboland diner in Stokes used to have a line of cars down 206. Still go there every year as is tradition, but your lucky if you see a hoof or antler sticking out of a bed now.

MNGrouser

FNG
All the guys with 'Sconi heritage beat me to it. I grew up with back tags and was surprised to learn they weren't a thing anymore. I remember the registration stations and making your best poker hand with your numbers. I don't miss trying to pin that thing back on when the weather warmed and you were striping down a couple of layers.