What socks are popular here?

Zappaman

WKR
I still have my 1979 issued wool socks (three pair/military issue) I wear to this day. I only wear them during hunting (cold) season (6-8 times a year), but they don't have holes in them and pretty much look like they did when they handed them to me at (military school) "boot" camp.

jmez

WKR
I have several brands. Darn tough, Smart wool, Cabela's, Scheels, Omniwool from Sam's Club. I can't tell a difference in any of them. They are all comfortable, they are all durable, pretty much the same except for price.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Kennetrek and SmartWool are great. Kirkland Signature (Costco) are pretty good too, especially the latest version. I wear the Costco socks for normal wear and mild weather hiking/hunts and save the higher end socks for the colder hunts

Last edited:

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve gotten good service out of a couple pair of merino Lorpens. They’re my go to hunting socks and have held up well over the past 4 or 5 years. Much better odor control than my old Cabelas Ultramax socks, those would clear a room after a day of wear.

Oregonboy

WKR
Smartwool are my favorite but Darn Toughs are a close second. I've also got a few pairs of Danner socks that have lasted very well and are extremely comfortable.

Slugz

WKR
Darn Tough. I wear them at work in the oilfield and while hunting. The no fuss lifetime warranty is what sold me. Send em back, get a new pair. In this crazy world I feel its a no brainer.

Dont wash em in the hot cycle.😃

Drenalin

WKR
Every time I try something other than Smartwool, I end up coming back. Must just be used to them. I've been rotating through 7 pairs of the same Smartwool socks for the last two years. Carry two pairs on hunts or backpacking trips so I always have a dry pair.

One thing to note about the Darn Tough warranty is that the way they do it is pretty slick on their part. You send the old socks in and they give you a store credit for the retail price of the socks. The problem with that is that I always end up buying more socks than I have credit, so it costs me money every time I use it!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Darn Tough full cushion boot length- two pairs (one worn) for 2-4 day hunts, three pairs for 5+ days. One is always dry for sleeping with.

Gmr777

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Darn Tough socks for all things. They are "Unconditionally Guaranteed for Life". You wear them out and they will replace without a receipt needed. Never needed to use the warranty but nice to know it's there. I have thin and thicker sets depending on conditions and boots used etc.. I usually have about 3 pairs for a 5-day hunt. Not the cheapest option but they work great for me.
Second Darn Tough! Great company, made in the USA, and lots of different options.

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Darn Tough socks for all things. They are "Unconditionally Guaranteed for Life". You wear them out and they will replace without a receipt needed. Never needed to use the warranty but nice to know it's there. I have thin and thicker sets depending on conditions and boots used etc.. I usually have about 3 pairs for a 5-day hunt. Not the cheapest option but they work great for me.

Out of probably 12-15 pairs, only 1 is not Darn Tough. Like MrSunday, I have thin for summer hiking and thicker for those single digit whitetail hunts.

Only had to use their warranty once (about 5 years ago) when a sock developed a hole. Called their CS, emailed them a picture and 4 days later I had a new pair in hand.

Unless my feet get wet, I will wear the same pair for 2-3 days on my hunts.