What Sleeping Bag?

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a lighter weight sleeping bag to fit this criteria

6'2, 240lbs athletic build, would prefer a bag with more room than a standard cut mummy bag.
Zero degree rated
Down
Lightweight, packs well, 4lbs or lighter

AKDoc

WKR
Look at the Western Mountaineering Kodiak (down, micro-fiber shell). I suspect it will meet your parameters very well.

I have a WM Badger (micro-fiber)...it is a 15 degree bag that is just perfect for me. It is by far the best made and functional bag that I have ever owned, and I've owned a lot over the years. Made in the USA. Pricey, but worth every penny.

Edit: I agree wholeheartedly with AZ Hunter below...you MUST have a high R-value pad with a down bag.

Last edited:

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Kodiak is a sweet bag, essentially the same as the Badger but with more down. For me, and I do a lot of different activities, general backpacking, car camping, backpack hunting, bike packing, pack rafting ... I get more use out of the Badger. 15 Degrees, is good enough, and I can suffer or add clothes .

The big difference is pack size. The Kodiak , while much better than a synthetic, still gets kinda big. If you are really comfort driven, some people dig the Sequoia which is bigger still. However, bigger means a bigger pack adn so on down the line.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Picked up a Western Mountaineering this winter and I see what the hype has been about🤙Talk about loft this 5 degree antelope will likely take care of me the rest of my time afield

Attachments

• 419AAB31-E1E6-4177-A34C-9A86C5880563.jpeg
    419AAB31-E1E6-4177-A34C-9A86C5880563.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 135

zacattack

WKR
Looking for a lighter weight sleeping bag to fit this criteria

6'2, 240lbs athletic build, would prefer a bag with more room than a standard cut mummy bag.
Zero degree rated
Down
Lightweight, packs well, 4lbs or lighter
Feathered friends makes one called the puffin. It’s Semi rectangular, mine is 0 degree and I really like it. This is like sleeping in a furnace.

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
Feathered friends makes one called the puffin. It’s Semi rectangular, mine is 0 degree and I really like it. This is like sleeping in a furnace.

I’ve been looking at a Puffin since last year, still haven’t seen it in stock.

OP
MTNHUNTER76

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! I had no idea that a sleeping could sell for $800. Let me change my criteria a bit. Looking for a good bag for about half that cost.

Wow! I had no idea that a sleeping could sell for $800. Let me change my criteria a bit. Looking for a good bag for about half that cost.
Good option for a budget is the Hyke and Byke Eolus. Definitely not as good as a WM, but it's a good lightweight, down, budget-friendly bag. I have a 0 degree and have used it in 20-degree weather and was comfortable

OP
MTNHUNTER76

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
I'm all about buying quality gear, especially made in USA products. I'll sacrifice some quality/weight on this particular item to save some money. This bag will rarely be used, most likely only once a year.

I'm all about buying quality gear, especially made in USA products. I'll sacrifice some quality/weight on this particular item to save some money. This bag will rarely be used, most likely only once a year.
Then I'd say the hyke and byke is a good fit for now

Good option for a budget is the Hyke and Byke Eolus.

Not saying its a bad bag, but just so the OP knows what he is getting - the Eolus 0 has a comfort rating of 30 and a comfort limit of 15.

For comparison, the SG 0 degree bag has a comfort rating of 14 and a comfort limit of 0. WM Kodiak is 13/-1 and their Badger is 23/11.

I'm not suggesting you have to spend that kind of money for a bag you will use once a year, I just want to OP to be aware that all bags are not rated the same.

Not saying its a bad bag, but just so the OP knows what he is getting - the Eolus 0 has a comfort rating of 30 and a comfort limit of 15.

For comparison, the SG 0 degree bag has a comfort rating of 14 and a comfort limit of 0. WM Kodiak is 13/-1 and their Badger is 23/11.

I'm not suggesting you have to spend that kind of money for a bag you will use once a year, I just want to OP to be aware that all bags are not rated the same.
Completely agree. the SG and WM are in a different class. He was just looking for a budget-friendly bag and in my opinion the H&B is a good option.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
It's hard to beat Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends, and Valandre for overall quality.......but the Kelty Cosmic Ultra line gets good reviews and uses 800FP Down

Gohunt had a bunch of Rab sleeping bags on sale recently, I don't know anything about them but they might be a good budget option.