What size Western Mountaineering Bager?

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 5’11 200 lbs athletic build all in the shoulders and legs

Do I get a 6ft bag or long? Only reason I ask is because I toss and turn and sleep on my side with a knee kicked out often. I’m wondering if the long will give me a better night sleep? I have to get long wide in all my other bags to get me enough room so I’m not claustrophobic but that equals extra weight.

Should I go MF or WS?

Dumped tons of gear to upgrade my sleep system and optics so will probably buy new with what little is available out there.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can chime in.

JDB9818

WKR
I'm 5'11" around 173 lbs and I have the 6' Badger. I'm also a side sleeper almost 100% of the time. The 6' works well for me but I feel that I am probably right on the edge and could do the 6'6" version as well.

It seems that a lot of guys put extra clothes or maybe a hot Nalgene at the bottom of the bag when it's cold and in that case I would definitely say the 6'6" version for sure.

I live and hunt exclusively in Colorado and the MF version is more than adequate for this climate. I have had the outside of the bag damp from condensation but it dries quickly and I have never been worried about it. Unless you are using it in a very wet environment I don't think you need the GWS version.

Good luck with your purchase. I love my Badger bag!

OP
Q

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info

The weight penalty is not horrible between the long and regular. I returned a long wide Kuiu bag because it was just to confining and a good nights sleep is worth a few ounces to me.

This is why I looked at the badger for the roominess

I hunt Coastal Northern California and Oregon so fog drip is constant but it’s not like Seattle or anything.

I live about 50 miles from Seattle ( for reference) I’m 6’-2” and have a 6’-6” badger. The one downside to having more length than you need is that the extra length combined with all that loft is nearly always rubbing against the tent at the foot end.
If I ever made a trip to S E Alaska I would probably buy a synthetic bag. Other then that I love the bag and use it year around.
Mine has a micro fiber shell

OP
Q

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
I own a 20 degree wide slick bag that I bring if it looks really nasty wet but it’s bulky and I’m a current member gearwhore anonymous failing at working the steps.

Feeling brave and want to try some down after getting cold last winter up at Mt Shasta.

You think a regular 6 ft would be too tight as I’ve decided to get the wind stopper

I've been in temps well below the 15 deg. rating and been comfortable.Even though I have a 0 deg. bag and rarely use it.If weight was an issue I would probably opt to bring puffy pants and a down coat to supplement. If I was expecting extreme cold I would have those things with me anyway

Look at the hydrostatic head values for their various fabrics and then compare to some popular tents. Their bags' out material handle water a hell of a lot better than many naysayers will lead you to believe.

I recommend the MF.

FWIW I’m 5’11 and 170lbs. I have the Versalite in 6’ length and find it perfect. As others have mentioned I think an extra 6” of bag would rub a lot on the tent but I guess it depends on what kind of shelter you’re in.

You should be fine with the MF. I recently woke up to find a two liter water bottle had knocked over and completely drained into the bottom of the tent. Was sleeping in a 2” deep puddle in the middle of my tent.

Didn’t even realize my bag was wet till I got out of it. Shook it off (only seemed wet on the outside) and hung it up inside the tent suspended from the gear loft. Was dry by the time I got back into it that night.

OP
Q

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome

See this is why Rokslide is worth it’s weight in gold

Really appreciate all the feedback

yoopshoot

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 6’5” and their 6’6” badger fits me great. I’d buy the size closest to your height .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barse41

FNG
5-9” 225 in a regular badger. Big shoulders. Bigger gut. Plenty of room. Wake up in the middle of the night giggling about how comfy I am. So much room and loft. I wiggle and thrash to wherever I want in that thing.

WoodBow

WKR
Another thing to consider is do you ever sleep on your stomach. If you do, that extra 6 inches of bag is nice to pull up over your arms. I'm 6 foot 180. I ended up going with a long bag and have no regrets. I think i could get by with the 6 footer just fine but i like having a bit of room to spare.

OP
Q

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Spoke with hermits hut

Awesome dude

He says get the long so I can kick a knee out and not get constricted

He brought up a point that I just take for granted since I always use long wide sizes. That extra space is usually swallowed up by my Nalgene bottle and filter plus batteries/electronics wrapped in a sweatshirt to keep them from freezing. He also said that the extra space will allow you to bring a 30 degree down quilt to throw inside and get the bag down into the negatives with very little compression of the feathers

Still waffling on size but getting a badger MF

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
When I was buying mine, they told me that they were designed to be comfortable for somebody thats as tall as the bag size, meaning that a 6'6 person should be comfortable in the 6'6 bag. I'm 6'4 so the 6'6 bag is great.

Spoke with hermits hut

Awesome dude

He says get the long so I can kick a knee out and not get constricted

He brought up a point that I just take for granted since I always use long wide sizes. That extra space is usually swallowed up by my Nalgene bottle and filter plus batteries/electronics wrapped in a sweatshirt to keep them from freezing. He also said that the extra space will allow you to bring a 30 degree down quilt to throw inside and get the bag down into the negatives with very little compression of the feathers

Still waffling on size but getting a badger MF

6'6" mf badger for sale in the classifieds right now...

OP
Q

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Bought the 6’6” from hermits hut and was happy to give the guy my hard earned cash for an American made bag new. No big deal on the weight penalty and it honestly feels like a zero degree bag with the over fill he adds.

It’s a lot of bag with all the overfill he adds for free but man it just swallows you up and I can kick a knee out and sleep the way I do in my bed. It seemed like the hood wrapped around my face better in the bigger bag since I compared both sizes, plus room for water bladder/nalgene/ filter, batteries, etc. when it dips down to 10-15 or lower.

Plenty of room to open it up and use as a blanket for summer camping with my 3 year old daughter as she always seems to find her way out of her own sleeping bag in the middle of the night. Now I need a double thermarest 🤦‍♂️

Never know maybe I will catch a doe on the trail and she can jump in there too cuz I honestly think there is enough room 😉

Well built bag that should last me the rest of my life.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement on investing in the sleep system everybody!