What route to go in 7mm

Concho50

FNG
I’m dead set on adding a 7mm to my arsenal but can’t decide on the route to go. This rifle will mostly be used on 500+ yard whitetail, western hunting, and steel out to 1000. My heart was with 280AI but I can’t seem to find the rifle to fit my likes and before I start running up a bill doing a custom job I wanted some advice. The AI seems to be everything I want. Efficient, lower recoil, barrel life, and the cool factor. I want to be able to shoot heavies so I know I ideally need a 1/8 twist which limits me to an X-Bolt. I have an X-Bolt as is and love it but I would like a 700 type action on my next rifle. I know the AI has a diehard fan base but due to supply limitations would I be better off going 7 PRC or even a 7mag in a fast twist? I know I’m losing the recoil and barrel life benefits but would it be enough less headache to justify?

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been chewing on building a custom 7-08 on a long action model 70 so I can load the bullets out long and put my preferred twist in the barrel. Not saying you should or shouldn’t, but it’s an interesting thought

LightFoot

WKR
I’m dead set on adding a 7mm to my arsenal but can’t decide on the route to go. This rifle will mostly be used on 500+ yard whitetail, western hunting, and steel out to 1000. My heart was with 280AI but I can’t seem to find the rifle to fit my likes and before I start running up a bill doing a custom job I wanted some advice. The AI seems to be everything I want. Efficient, lower recoil, barrel life, and the cool factor. I want to be able to shoot heavies so I know I ideally need a 1/8 twist which limits me to an X-Bolt. I have an X-Bolt as is and love it but I would like a 700 type action on my next rifle. I know the AI has a diehard fan base but due to supply limitations would I be better off going 7 PRC or even a 7mag in a fast twist? I know I’m losing the recoil and barrel life benefits but would it be enough less headache to justify?

I have 7mm-6.5PRC (7SPRC) that I really like but I’m also in the process of building a 280ai. I’m building a 280ai because the Browning xbolt 280ai I had just wasn’t consistent.

All that said, hard to argue with a new 7PRC with a good brake or suppressor pushing 180 ELDMs or VLDs.

>>>——JAKE——>

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Do you reload or relying on factory ammo? That seems like it'd make a difference IMHO. I'm a 7 fan and have a few, here are my thoughts for what they're worth.

7mag: Its gonna have tons of commercial ammo available if you don't reload and certainly gets the job done. Personally I don't like belted cartridges and thus never gravitated to this caliber.

280AI: I have one and like it but I reload, I'd have to research commercial ammo today before recommending it to someone that doesn't reload. Initially there was less brass available which was a bit annoying but lots more options today. You want an action that has a long enough mag length otherwise skip it.

284win: Not mentioned but I just put one together for a tikka t3 action which it fits nicely in even with long heavies. Its a reloaders cartridge though and if you have a true long action I'd skip it I think.

7-08: I have/had one, I took the barrel off for the 284win. In general I was always gravitating away from it for hunting since I had the faster 280AI and I also wanted a shorter barrel rig for a suppressor, when I ran the numbers on a shortened 7-08 I didn't care for the slower velocities (even if they were "enough") and decided to just order a 284win barrel. That said there is moderate ammo availability and its going to be the lightest recoil if you're not running a can or brake.

7prc: Its newer but seems probably it'll have decent support on the ammo front. Seems like an improvement over the 7mag (beltless and shoulder angle). I'll have more recoil that the 280AI. Sorta depends on where you want to balance recoil vs velocity on the scale also with a consideration around which caliber offers you the most options for ammo / reloading components to get started today.

SloppyJ

WKR
Seems like the easy option even in a "custom" is a 7PRC because it's setup for long heavies. Don't get me wrong, my 280ai is one of my favorites but If I had a 7prc as well, for your use case past 500yds, I'd take the 7PRC just due to the ease of stuffing a longer bullet in the case for a much better BC. If you want to do it with a 280ai, you're going to need to have it custom throated more than likely and I'm not sure you'll be as fast.

If your distance requirement wasn't as far, I'd say 280ai.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If your distance requirement wasn't as far, I'd say 280ai.
I'm not following your thought here. Unless he said short barrel with monos I can't see how a 280AI isn't more than adequate for the distance.

My 24" 280AI pushes a 145lrx at 3130fps so at 5500' elevation I have ~2150fps at 600yd still for instance with a mono which is a more restrictive scenario, I've never worked up a 162eldm load in it but I'm sure the MV would be more than adequate to hold 1800fps past 1000yd because the 19" 284win I just put together pushes a 162eldm ~2700fps, which carries 1800fps out to around 900yd.

TaperPin

WKR
I just noticed Rem 700 take off barrels in 7 mag with 1:8 twist.

MatukaJoe

FNG
The easiest button for your stated use is 7mm Rem Mag. More rifle options and bullet options than you could want and on the shelves more readily than PRC or even 7mm-08 (I've owned 7mm RM, 7mm-08, and 28 nosler.) You also can shoot heavy for caliber even at 1:9 or 1:9.5 twist. My 7mm Rem Mag shot 162 gr ELDX superbly.

For the most and fastest fun boom - 28 Nosler shooting either 175 gr ABLR or 195 gr Berger EOL (yes you can buy these loaded through sources such as Pendleton Ammunition or Choice Ammunition.)

wapitibob

WKR
I've had a 7stw for a long time and while pretty easy, the real easy is a 7prc.
Buy an action like a defiance classic, a trigger, and a semi readily available stock like a manners eh1, then buy a prefit and put it all together in your garage. You can run light solids like a Hammer 143 and/or shoot 195's.

stan_wa

WKR
I would says 284 win if you hand loaded my buddy @solarshooter has one with a 26 inch barrel and it pushes the 175 Burger hybrid at 2850

7 Saum is a slight touchdown from the seven red Meg in terms of recoil but I think to 280 AI is also a great choice

Keep in mind that 7 Saum 280 Ackley improved and 284 win are all close enough in performance that barrel length could make up the difference between them

I like Magnums, but that’s not really what you described in terms of wanting for your application so I would not advise 7 rm 7 Prcc or 28 Nosler as the recoil is substantially more.

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not following your thought here. Unless he said short barrel with monos I can't see how a 280AI isn't more than adequate for the distance.

My 24" 280AI pushes a 145lrx at 3130fps so at 5500' elevation I have ~2150fps at 600yd still for instance with a mono which is a more restrictive scenario, I've never worked up a 162eldm load in it but I'm sure the MV would be more than adequate to hold 1800fps past 1000yd because the 19" 284win I just put together pushes a 162eldm ~2700fps, which carries 1800fps out to around 900yd.
What powder you pushing the 162's with in the 284 win? Been loading the 180's in mine but have some 162's to try.

xsn10s

WKR
I just bought a Howa Superlite 7-08 for this purpose. I also have a Remarms 7mm RM ADL and it came with 1-8" twist 5R barrel for beyond 500 yards. I'll shoot 162gr ELDM's in the 7-08 and 180gr ELDM's in the 7mm RM.

EdP

WKR
I have a .280AI and I like it, but I don't like the sharp shoulder and the way it hangs up loading out of the mag. It's a Cooper and shoots very well but just doesn't load smoothly. I don't know if others have the same issue.

I would throw a big NO for 28 Nosler. 7 PRC pretty much antiquates it. I assume you hand load if you're considering 280AI but factory 28 nosler is a bitch to find and costs a small fortune. the guns are also way more finicky in that load - this is just one gun but: I have a x-bolt speed 28 nosler and shot 4 separate factory loads, -unfortunately ($ wise) landed on 175 ABLR - not a lot of good things to say about any of it - rifle shot well enough but lots of problems that were absurdly expensive to trouble-'shoot'.