what r value sleeping pad

MadDawg

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys! Question. what r value would y'all recommend for me. I hunt southern Arkansas and the coldest we will be in is like 30 degrees. would a 2.8 R be enough. I have a 22 degree bag but I don't know how accurate that is...

Ok, question 2... there is no way I can afford a 90$ pad rn, could I make a 2.8 do or would I just be sleeping miserable?

Have you checked Sierra trading post? Might be able to find a little higher rated pad on there for a decent price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camofire has insulated klymit pads frequently for cheap.

You’re just pushing comfort limits from the sounds of it, put some extra clothes on if you get chilly.

I've used r-value of about 3 plenty of times in those temps. My x therm is only 5.7 and I've used it well below zero.

You can take the sum of r values that are layered. Sometimes I use an r1.3 air pad and a ridgerest (2.3?) Under it because I like it for glassing and it protects my air pad. I've done that plenty of times well below freezing.

Those klymit pads are great. I have the uninsulated and two of the guys I hunt with have the r4.4 pads. I like them just as much as the TAR pads.

I'd be more concerned about your bag than your pad in the case you described. If your bag lists a lower limit EN rating of 22°F, the comfort rating is probably like 35. Your money would probably be better spent there and just get a $10-$20 closed cell mat to supplement when you're pushing the limits.

Last edited:
A lot of people use Neoair xlite with an R-Value of 3.2 into the 20s. With a bag that isn't grossly under-rated (rather than quilt) and some extra layers you should be fine into the 30s.

My mat only has a 3.1 R value and I've had it down in the mid 20's with no problems with a 15 degree bag wearing light weight base layers. If you are sleeping on the ground I'd say you are OK. If you will be elevated on a cot or hammock you might need a little more R value or some extra layers.

Get a closed cell foam pad to put under your air mat and you should be fine. The closed cell foam will block the cold ground and also help reflect your body heat back up through the mat you have.

Back