What R-Value Do I Need For A Sleeping Pad? Therm-A-Rest Vs Klymit

ShrtRnd

FNG
I picked up a Sea-to-Summit Ultralight pad over the winter for a steal. I've used it twice, with no issues, but with an R Value of 3 I don't think it will see much use past 40Deg unless I have a 0Deg bag. It's also aa bit on the weighty side at 480grams.

feanor

WKR
Big Agnes has great customer service. I had a failure on an old air core and they sent me a new updated air core.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on sleeping pads for some upcoming backpack hunts I have for this fall and have decided I need a new sleeping pad. I have a couple September elk hunts and a November Deer hunt in Idaho(will probably be cold- down to teens approx.) I think I've narrowed it down to the Therm-a-rest Neoair xtherm with an R-value of 5.7 and the Klymit Insulated Static v-lite with an R-value of 4.4.
Obviously I would think the Thermarest is going to be somewhat warmer and is a little lighter(15 ounces vs 19.9 on the Klymit). The thermarest is quite a bit more money $199 vs about $80 for the Klymit. My plan is to run my 0 degree Kelty sleeping bad with either pad. I've used this bag with a closed cell cheapo pad down to about 25 degrees and have slept ok but not great. Either pad I think will be a big upgrade to me. So...

I guess my main question is do I need the extra R-value the Thermarest will provide at the expense of $120 more? Both seems to get good reviews with the Klymit actually sounding more comfortable according to most reviews I've read. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2 or better with a good bag if you aren’t already a cold sleeper.

WyoKid

WKR
I have a Paria XL insulated - cheaper then Tensor and 4" thick. Best was price at 70! Works well as I side sleep and you can adjust the amount into of air to suit your body. I looked at Tensor and Thermalite but figured a good nights sleep was worth the weight.

Mer19

Lil-Rokslider
I know it is not helpful, but I have a Klymit I hope to be putting to good use soon and will write my opinion when I do.

Does anyone have any experience with the Nemo Tensor Alpine? Supposed to be rated to -10 no R value listed, But the reviews I have seen online seem to indicate it is definitely warmer than a Thermarest Xtherm

Akshphntr

FNG
Love my klymit pads i have 2 insulated and two uninsulated. East to inflate great price and patched it with duct tape when my broadhead cut it. Klymit insulated is great deal....

Beendare

WKR
So what you're saying is get the highest r-value pad I can handle to pack? .....

Yes, exactly. I was trying to be nice in post #22.

So many of those pads are a total fail in only semi cold weather....especially with a down bag. Down is great, but the insulation below you gets compressed out to nothing....getting a pad with an R value over 4 is a good idea.

Buying a pad that isn't rated only tells you the actual R value is low and inconsistent.

WyoKid

WKR
Love my klymit pads i have 2 insulated and two uninsulated. East to inflate great price and patched it with duct tape when my broadhead cut it. Klymit insulated is great deal....
A good reminder to always have a patch kit....waking up on a flat pad is one thing but going another 5 days on a flat pad is worse. A patch kit from Gear Aid with tenacious tape is multi-purpose.

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
Not what I was hoping to hear but thanks for the honesty.

Beaver Hunter,

I have both the extherm and an Exped Down Mat 9. I also hunt the Idaho November archery deer hunt....if you are headed for the late archery hunt in 39, I would say that I see single digit temps about every 3rd or 4th year out.

I love both of the pads, and they each have an application for me, but for that deer hunt, I'm not even tempted by the extherm's weight advantage and I'm humping camp up 4000 vertical. I've put the Exped Downmat directly on solid snow/ice (Tyvek ground cloth but no added insulation such as a closed cell pad) and been just fine. My decision is based on my own practical experience, and to my feel, the Downmat alone (Tyvek for ground cloth) sleeps warmer in those conditions than the extherm/zrest combo.

The only time I have wanted something more under the Exped is when using it in a cot, allowing air circulation underneath. That seams to negatively impact how warm it sleeps more than putting directly on the ground.

BTW, I had a Down Mat baffle fail (2 became 1 making a bulge in the middle) after 10 plus years of use and Exped stood behind their lifetime warranty and I was back in business in about a week. Pretty impressed with my CS experience.

Good luck on your hunt and your pad selection.

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
For cold weather camping and bivy hunts I’d get the best pad you can. I’ve owned the Klymit and Thermarest xtherm. Just replaced my last one. Yes they crinkle but I’m so much warmer with the xtherm. Best cold weather pad I’ve run across.

Sawtoothsteve....... why did you go with the Exped Downmat 9 over the Exped Downmat HL winter. Only one R value difference yet the Downmat HL is almost half the weight? Just curious, I am leaning towards the Downmat HL winter and was curious if there was any reason other than a little more added warmth. Thnaks

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Sawtoothsteve....... why did you go with the Exped Downmat 9 over the Exped Downmat HL winter. Only one R value difference yet the Downmat HL is almost half the weight? Just curious, I am leaning towards the Downmat HL winter and was curious if there was any reason other than a little more added warmth. Thnaks

The DownMat HL uses a 20D fabric vs a 75D fabric on the DownMat 9. Weight and bulk are obvious differences, with the 3rd primary difference being the durability of the fabric. Most people are fine with UL fabrics, it's just making sure you are aware that ANY mat no matter the brand using a lightweight UL fabric can potentially puncture easier. All that said, I've been using UL mats specifically from EXPED for the past 6+ years and have never punctured one. Make sure your tent is clean inside and the ground beneath it is free from sharp objects and you are good to go.

cck

FNG
I got the xtherm last year after about three seasons with my klymit and the difference is night and day. The Thermarest is both much more comfortable and much warmer on top of being lighter as mentioned. I was hesitant because of the price, but it has been well worth it.