What R-Value Do I Need For A Sleeping Pad? Therm-A-Rest Vs Klymit

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I find my Xtherm good to go to about 10-ish degrees, if the temps are likely to dip below that I add a thin closed cell foam pad (I have various thicknesses 1/8-1/2", so can bring more pad if it's really frigid)

there is some good scientific debate on whether to put the ccf pad on top or under (most of it leaning on top), I usually put mine under- more piece of mind on sharp things poking the inflatable

Beendare

WKR
What is the most comfortable pad between the Xtherm and the Exped Downmat UL winter?....

I've never slept on the Xtherm....I can tell you those Expeds are quality built and comfortable for a big guy side sleeper like myself. There is a little weight penalty on the Expeds....but its due to them using a little tougher outer fabric- which is a good idea IMO....as I've had/seen a few of the other brands of UL pads fail.

I'm a bit skeptical of some of the comments regarding how these pads perform in the cold [below 20,30 deg's] I've used probably 5 different pads in those conditions and most are borderline when you get down into the 20 deg range. Now it makes a difference too what your pad is laying on in that 20 deg night; Forest duff is a better insulator than solid rock...a huge difference. Maybe thats where the discrepancy in commentary lies.

That Exped Downmatt is one of the best pads on the market when it comes to comfort and insulation.....but its expensive and a little heavier. All of my experience indicates getting a high R value pad....either that or running a waffle mat below your inflatable.

If you are considering buying a BA pad...do an internet search...you will be glad you did.

OP
BeaverHunter
I've never slept on the Xtherm....I can tell you those Expeds are quality built and comfortable for a big guy side sleeper like myself. There is a little weight penalty on the Expeds....but its due to them using a little tougher outer fabric- which is a good idea IMO....as I've had/seen a few of the other brands of UL pads fail.

I'm a bit skeptical of some of the comments regarding how these pads perform in the cold [below 20,30 deg's] I've used probably 5 different pads in those conditions and most are borderline when you get down into the 20 deg range. Now it makes a difference too what your pad is laying on in that 20 deg night; Forest duff is a better insulator than solid rock...a huge difference. Maybe thats where the discrepancy in commentary lies.

That Exped Downmatt is one of the best pads on the market when it comes to comfort and insulation.....but its expensive and a little heavier. All of my experience indicates getting a high R value pad....either that or running a waffle mat below your inflatable.

If you are considering buying a BA pad...do an internet search...you will be glad you did.

So what you're saying is get the highest r-value pad I can handle to pack? That's kind of the way I'm leaning also especially since the area I'll be in can get down into the single digits sometimes in November. I would just prefer to bring one really kick ass pad that rated for really cold temps than one that's not as warm and comboing it with a closed cell. Pack space will already be at a premium.

OP
BeaverHunter
I find my Xtherm good to go to about 10-ish degrees, if the temps are likely to dip below that I add a thin closed cell foam pad (I have various thicknesses 1/8-1/2", so can bring more pad if it's really frigid)

there is some good scientific debate on whether to put the ccf pad on top or under (most of it leaning on top), I usually put mine under- more piece of mind on sharp things poking the inflatable
What temp bag are you running? I would prefer to not have to run a closed cell also if I can just because of pack space. I'm a little nervous just because I know the area can get down into the single digits sometimes.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
What temp bag are you running? I would prefer to not have to run a closed cell also if I can just because of pack space. I'm a little nervous just because I know the area can get down into the single digits sometimes.

various quilts/bags depending on the temps; I know the Xtherm is the warmest inflatable that TR sells w/ a r value of 5.7; my experience is that for me I'm comfortable until about 10 with it alone; if I expect it to be a little colder I bring a thin ccf pad (all of a couple of ounces)

I'd check the r value of any other pad you're looking at; if it's less than 5.7 it won't be any warmer than the Xtherm

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
If you camp in cold conditions regularly, and it sounds like you do, then you'll be happy with the therm-a-rest.

That said, I have the Klymit and a CCF pad and I'm happy.

OP
BeaverHunter
I’m leaning towards the Klymit insulated static V SL. Has an r value of 6.5 and is 72 inches long and 27 inches wide. 3.5 inches thick. Only negative is that it is a little heavier at 31 ounces. But based on what most of you are saying I think I need a pad this warm for temps down to 0 degrees. I can get this pad for $111 including shipping and a free Klymit pillow. I also like the lifetime warranty. The weight isn’t ideal but if it sounds like most of you say a pad in the 4-5 r value range will still
need a closed cell pad underneath. Am I crazy to backpack with a 31 ounce sleeping pad ? I appreciate everyone’s responses thus far.

Trial153

WKR
Somthing to keep in mind. In 2020 the industry is adopting a standard measuring and system for R value in pads.
It should make it easier to compare apples to apples

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
my Xtherm weighs 13 oz (and packs small), the ccf pad I'd use with temps 0-10 weighs under 3 oz

OP
BeaverHunter
Somthing to keep in mind. In 2020 the industry is adopting a standard measuring and system for R value in pads.
It should make it easier to compare apples to apples
I’ve read that. A company not posting their r-value seems fishy to me. Should make it much easier.

Trial153

WKR
I’ve read that. A company not posting their r-value seems fishy to me. Should make it much easier.
It's also that right now there is no standard for measurement for the industry. Some are posting R values that havent been tested and they are in fact just a guess.
A standard test and measurement would be great for the customer.

OP
BeaverHunter
my Xtherm weighs 13 oz (and packs small), the ccf pad I'd use with temps 0-10 weighs under 3 oz

Good point. I’m just having a hard time with the $200 price tag on the xtherm. And not to nit pick but the xtherm is rated at 15 ounces and my lightweight ccf pad weighs 6 ounces. So by my math, I’m saving $90 for 10 ounces more weight and a better r value and a bigger thicker pad that will take up less room than the xtherm and ccf combo. I’m a very experienced hunter and not the most experienced backpacker/ounce counter so tell me if I’m crazy. You seem way more experienced in the backpacking area to me.

come2elmo

WKR
The Static V Luxe SL with an R Value of 6.5 is what you should be looking at. Thicker, wider, higher R Value than the Xtherm and quieter. I ran an Xtherm for years. Great pad, but you carry a little more weight with the Klymit for more room and less noise.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I just broke down and got one of these. Figure I can use it to transport moose quarters down river ina few year too.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thermarest typically understates their weights (they might include their stuff sack, repair kit, etc in the weight)- my Xtherm weighs 13.2 oz

the pad I use down to 0 (in conjunction w/ the Xtherm) is this one

Beendare

WKR
Personally, I think you will have problems with just about any stand alone inflatable pad and a down bag in 0 degree weather.

I think you will have to add a waffle pad under just about anything in those temps.

OP
BeaverHunter
Personally, I think you will have problems with just about any stand alone inflatable pad and a down bag in 0 degree weather.

I think you will have to add a waffle pad under just about anything in those temps.
Not what I was hoping to hear but thanks for the honesty.

K

Kootenay Hunter

For me, sleep comfort is one of the areas I splurge on weight along with traveling comfort (boots, pack, poles) An extra pound to me is worth a good night's sleep, versus a poor sleep which can degrade your hunting effectiveness and ability to perform (pack weight if successful).

Especially if you're setting up camp after a hike in, and not moving every day, the extra pound on a comfy pad is totally worth it IMO.

Static V Luxe SL sounds like a good choice.

And don't forget, not everything has to fit inside the pack. You could throw a ccf pad in a plastic bag and strap it to the top or bottom of your pack for the hike in/out. Yes, it's old school, but effective.

After researching and debating forever between the Therma-rest Xtherm, Static V Luxe SL, Exped UL W, and insulated Tensor, I ended up going with the Insulated Regular/Wide Nemo Tensor for $140.

https://www.backcountryedge.com/nemo-tensor-insulated-2019.html

1 lb 6 oz and a "10 to 20 degrees rating" with some extra width for side sleeping paired with my 0 down bag should hopefully get me through hunting season.

I am just kind of worried about the durability if anyone has any input on that?

Trial153

WKR
After researching and debating forever between the Therma-rest Xtherm, Static V Luxe SL, Exped UL W, and insulated Tensor, I ended up going with the Insulated Regular/Wide Nemo Tensor for $140.

https://www.backcountryedge.com/nemo-tensor-insulated-2019.html

1 lb 6 oz and a "10 to 20 degrees rating" with some extra width for side sleeping paired with my 0 down bag should hopefully get me through hunting season.

I am just kind of worried about the durability if anyone has any input on that?
I long wide tensor is going on about two years, I would guess 50 ish days. Hell I just had it week in my sons tent with his two 8 year old friends and it survived.