What pole saw is best

EdP

WKR
What saw would your recommend for trimming shooting lanes for tree stand hunting? I'm considering both manual and battery powered but either way I would want to keep it reasonably light and easy to handle. Primary use would be for locations where I would put a ladder stand so likely no backcountry use. I see a lot of adds for Hooyman but the reviews are not very good due to plastic pole locks that break.

WRM

WKR
Got a buddy that has the Hooy. Not great in my opinion, but it is a lighter option. It likes to bind a lot in the cut.

I use a Wicked for hunting and some tree work. Much better than the Hooy, but heavier. I'd say it's not "reasonably light", but it is sturdy.

Another option is ferruled fiberglass section poles and a head. I use a Silky head on mine. Not compact, but a couple of section should let you get what you want. Can also get a pruner head for those aggravating wispy branches you just need the end off on. Get on treestuff.com if you want to see those.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR

WCB

WKR
My dad has 2 hooymans I have 1....one is taped up pretty good from breaking but I bet he had it for 6 years or so before it broke. The work if yo know how to use them and don't try to pull or beat limbs down. If you lear to get the angle right and use common sense they will last a long time.....If your work is pre stand set up for ladder stands zero doubt I would just get an electric chainsaw on a stick. Get an extra battery and good to go.

We have the hooymans because we hang and hunt A LOT.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Hooeyman was a big upgrade over the standard round pole extension. No flex on it makes it much more efficient

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 10 foot hooyman that I use for mobile hunting. Good saw but you need to take it easy on it, on my third saw through warranty. For my pre sets I use a corona saw with the clipper, clipper is great for smaller branches that the saw has trouble with.

wesfromky

WKR
I have the Hooyman electric pole saw - very nice. You can add an extra section, along with spare batteries.

If you are going to go with a battery powered one, and already have cordless tools. Go with the same company so the batteries can be used in all your tools.

Bwhitey

FNG
Paid a guy to trim some trees for me around my house recently. He climbed for the bigger stuff but he had a Notch Sentei with him. They are extremely sharp and cut both ways. I ended up getting the 21' version and it is great. I hope it last a lifetime as it was expensive, lol.

OP
E

EdP

WKR
If you are going to go with a battery powered one, and already have cordless tools. Go with the same company so the batteries can be used in all your tools.
My thoughts exactly, so I ordered a DeWalt. If I ever find that I need to take a pole saw somewhere remote I think the Fiskars looks like a good option.