What pad

I went into rei for their anniversary sale planning to buy an X therm but they only had the regular so I they only had the regular so I ended up buying the wider insulated Q core now I am thinking of ordering the large X therm and returning the Q core. should save weight and pack space and add insulation at the cost of comfort and about $40. Any thoughts?

arthurvino

Lil-Rokslider
If you under 175lb - regular.. If you long or wide - go with 25x78. It's only a few oz penalty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 6', 240 with broad shoulders and need a wide pad. The 20" versions just don't let me res well. Used a BAIAC 25x78 pad but changed to an Xtherm long wide in a mummy cut and love it. Gives me the shoulder width I want/need and tapers at the foot where extra size (and wasted space) isn't. Definitely one of my better trades. Lol

molon labe, mrbill

mrgreen

WKR
Broken Compass,

If you want a larger size. Try the Klymit Static V Luxe. REI has it on sale right now. Or the insulated if you need it.

I'm 5'11" and 215 pounds I run the Exped down mat ul7 reg wide with a EE quilt it's primo !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
I just picked up a couple of the Klymit Static V's, an insulated and uninsulated one. I've always used a Thermarest z-pad so this is my first foray into inflatable pads. They were pretty inexpensive, but see as well built as any others I looked at in REI. They are really comfortable for me. I'm 6'1" 200lbs.

I originally used an exped synmat 7M then went to a big ages q core and now have found what I like in exped synmat hyperlite MW. This pad is wide in the shoulders but narro at the feet. I like the vertical baffle design best as well. I just did not sleep well on the q core.

mrgreen

WKR
I should have mentioned the size of the Klymit Luxe. The Luxe measures 76" X 30" X 3" and comes in two flavors: Uninsulated (26.5oz), and Insulated(35oz and R-Value 4.4).

I toss and turn, now I don't bang my knee on the deck.

By The Way, I just checked they're both on sale at REI.

Bughalli

WKR
I went through that process at REI last fall, trying a bunch of them out and liked the Big Agnes Q core the most. Used it all season and loved it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
so does everyone like the blow pads then?
how easy/hard are they to blow up?
seems like this is the one everyone prefers
https://www.rei.com/product/881576/therm-a-rest-neoair-xtherm-max-sleeping-pad
My experience with self inflating pads is I'm always blowing them any way, especially at altitude. I just got the klymit static v insulated which is not self inflating. It wasn't bad, maybe 8 breathes. I'm an exsmoker. It's nice not fighting air coming in as you're rolling it up.

Some companies are making a dry sack that is also designed to inflate your pad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I have the Exped pump sack whatever it is called. It is extremely lightweight and so nice not to have to blow up a pad. Two to three bag fulls of air will have your pad fully inflated very quickly.

The Big Agnes one I had did not work well at all.

chmusar

FNG
Oops pressed wrong button , I use the Sea to summit comfort light and in the winter there insulated version , extremely comfortable and very easy to inflate and deflate and they pack down small

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
Xtherm for me. I'm 6ft 215 and definitely needed a wide, bought a regular at REI and returned same day for long and wide.Xtherm comes in a stuff sack that doubles to blow up the bag. I dont use it, I just blow into the bag. Takes about 20 breaths. If I were shopping for a pad today, I would consider an Xped just for a change of flavor and to try something new, not that the Xtherm was a bad choice.