What packs are all you gram weenies using?

Redneck09

FNG
Seems like the appropriate place to post this. I was wondering what weight obsessed hunters use for backpacks.

I myself am weight obsessed and normally hike with around a 10lb base weight.

For hunting I use a osprey xeineth 88 with the lid removed. I’m not really stoked on it. I feel that a hunting pack shouldn’t need weigh that much. It comes in at around 5lbs and has a lot of useless crap on it just making it unnecessarily heavy. It does however carry out heavy weights okay.

All of my hunting gear including rifle and 3 days food weighs 33 lbs I don’t think I added optics when I took this weight as I usually just have some binos on my chest. I weighed this during early spring bear in BC when optics are really not important IMHO.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting - Seek Outside Custom 5400 bag - 4.5 pounds
Backpacking - Osprey Exos 48 - 2.6 pounds.

I would not hesitate to take the SO bag on a backpacking trip if I couldn't fit everything in the Osprey. But at that point, I'm probably carrying more than the Exos could reasonably handle anyway.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m using the older kuiu icon pro suspension and their last generation “ultra” 4000 bag, both are slightly lighter than the current models. With two belt pockets it weighs in at 3lbs, 14ounces. The lightest hunting set up I used was a stone glacier evo frame and their dry bag, about a pound lighter I think. For non hunting day trips I use a cheap light frameless pack from amazon, unless I bring my chair and other comfort items.

If your looking for as light as you can get the stone glacier terminus comes in at 4 lbs I believe. Internal frame pack

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu Lt 4000, right about 4lbs. Haven’t had it out hunting yet, but multiple other trips and really like it. Done some training hikes with a 50 lb sandbag in it and it carried as well as I could have hoped for. Minimal increased weight to go with one of the bigger sizes as well

Broomd

WKR
I'm not only weight-obseessed but I'm a cheap ass. Osprey (all sourced pre-owned and as new) for the packs around here....

Last edited:

Brewski

Lil-Rokslider
Exo 6400 without lid for backpacking, hunting, fishing, kayaking, travel, day trips, training, yard work, pretty much anytime I ever need a backpack. It's not that heavy (5 pounds 2 ounces), can size down and up, and carries all loads really well. I will cut my toothbrush in half but I won't take a lighter pack.

Holocene

WKR
Stone Glacier 40/56. Have used for 4 years and it's one of the lightest elk-capable packs out there. The Terminus looks awesome but most of my packouts are for elk so need the beefier 40/56.

Sometimes I wish I had an external pocket for a bugle tube, trekking poles to nestle in and have looked hard at the Evo packs. That'll be what I try next.