What packs are all you gram weenies using?

My primary is a Kifaru Ultralight (have both KU3700 and KU5200), which I've used a ton over the past decade. Unfortunately, they're no longer available. Were I to replace now, I'd go with Seek Outside. I like them a lot. Low weight, comfortable, stiff, and waterproof without requiring a pack cover, they're also relatively affordable.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
as a data point about actual trail weights of backpacks, I recently replaced my Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900 with a Seek Outside Goshawk 6300 in Ultra PE.
The Stone Glacier weighed about 6.1lbs
The Seek Outside weighs about 5.2 lbs
-
I had thought that the Goshawk was going to be a bunch lighter than that! But, I didn't find any real world trail weights posted out there, just a lot of "bag weight", "minimum trail weight", etc that got me hyped. I still saved a pound, which is a big deal, but I had set myself up with lighter expectations.
-
Both bags have medium belts, and two hip belt pockets. The Goshawk weight includes 2" frame extensions (I'm 6'1" and I could get away without them, but with a meat load they'll really help), a talon compression bag, and a few compression straps.
I moved the stone glacier rifle sling from mysky talus over to my seek outside without issue. I like how the stone glacier quick release rifle sling works so much that I took the sling off my rifle. I feel I can access my rifle quickly in grizzly country with my rifle mounted on my pack.
-
I have not done a real trip with the Seek Outside yet, but I've done some heavy ruck hikes. So far, I find it's much more comfortable (for me) with a normal day load (25-45lbs) than the Stone Glacier, but maybe not as comfortable with a load over 75lbs....still need a bunch of time to work on fit. I think it will haul meat just fine.
-
A bigger deal for me than pack weight to me right now is the full waterproof ultra fabric of the Goshawk. Despite regular application of DWR to my stone glacier pack the fabric now gets waterlogged. I truly hate using a rain cover. I am hoping that the Ultra PE fabric will be the ticket to not gaining weight when walking through head high wet grass, or hiking in light rain. Also, I really hate it when my stone glacier pack got wet and then would freeze stiff. That's what eventually made me buy the Seek Outside.

The external frames of the Seek Outside packs handle weight with ease. This bad boy has been my loaner pack for the past 5 years. In that time, it's hauled a good number of critters, with the largest being this 100+pound elk load last fall. There's no perfect pack (or rifle, binocular, bullet, or bride), but this one comes close. I wish I knew what model it was, but my father is the one who purchased it.

Attachments

• Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    625.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Stickmark

FNG
Just bought a Gregory Baltoro 75. My old Gregory gave out, after a 34 miler in the GIla Wilderness, and I wanted one main back for backpacking and hunting. Not a gram weenie backpack, but I watch the stuff (grams) that goes into it. Have used the Exped 60, a prototype bought for $30, which is good for lighter hauls. Used an Osprey Talon 44 four times for hauling meat, which is painful for a boned out coues, and the hide, any distance at.
BTW, the Gila Wilderness seems real horse-country for elk hunting...

Last edited:

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
as a data point about actual trail weights of backpacks, I recently replaced my Stone Glacier Sky Talus 6900 with a Seek Outside Goshawk 6300 in Ultra PE.
The Stone Glacier weighed about 6.1lbs
The Seek Outside weighs about 5.2 lbs
-
I had thought that the Goshawk was going to be a bunch lighter than that! But, I didn't find any real world trail weights posted out there, just a lot of "bag weight", "minimum trail weight", etc that got me hyped. I still saved a pound, which is a big deal, but I had set myself up with lighter expectations.
-
Both bags have medium belts, and two hip belt pockets. The Goshawk weight includes 2" frame extensions (I'm 6'1" and I could get away without them, but with a meat load they'll really help), a talon compression bag, and a few compression straps.
I moved the stone glacier rifle sling from mysky talus over to my seek outside without issue. I like how the stone glacier quick release rifle sling works so much that I took the sling off my rifle. I feel I can access my rifle quickly in grizzly country with my rifle mounted on my pack.
-
I have not done a real trip with the Seek Outside yet, but I've done some heavy ruck hikes. So far, I find it's much more comfortable (for me) with a normal day load (25-45lbs) than the Stone Glacier, but maybe not as comfortable with a load over 75lbs....still need a bunch of time to work on fit. I think it will haul meat just fine.
-
A bigger deal for me than pack weight to me right now is the full waterproof ultra fabric of the Goshawk. Despite regular application of DWR to my stone glacier pack the fabric now gets waterlogged. I truly hate using a rain cover. I am hoping that the Ultra PE fabric will be the ticket to not gaining weight when walking through head high wet grass, or hiking in light rain. Also, I really hate it when my stone glacier pack got wet and then would freeze stiff. That's what eventually made me buy the Seek Outside.
On the weight front. What am I missing - according to SO site, goshawk 6300 total weight 3.10 - how are they off by 1lb 8oz!? Did you mean 4.2?

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
On the weight front. What am I missing - according to SO site, goshawk 6300 total weight 3.10 - how are they off by 1lb 8oz!? Did you mean 4.2?
I did not. it's a pretty big bummer. I thought it was going to be at least a full pound lighter than this. The "total" weight they posted is definitely not total. My weight includes things that I don't consider optional such as hip belt pockets, all the compression straps, the "talon" compression bag, lumbar pad, and 2" frame extensions. I wonder if their posted weight even includes the waist belt, since that is a separate order

mporter012

Lil-Rokslider
I did not. it's a pretty big bummer. I thought it was going to be at least a full pound lighter than this. The "total" weight they posted is definitely not total. My weight includes things that I don't consider optional such as hip belt pockets, all the compression straps, the "talon" compression bag, lumbar pad, and 2" frame extensions. I wonder if their posted weight even includes the waist belt, since that is a separate order
Interesting. Otherwise, how does is feel running weight in it? I'm running a kifaru system now, it's solid as a rock, but heavy as a rock too, a really big rock

kad11

WKR
Sierra Designs Flex Capacitor 60-75L for summer scouting. I've considered using it for late season elk - maybe this season.

Attachments

• IMG_20230723_092724439.jpg
    IMG_20230723_092724439.jpg
    733.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20230723_053125590.jpg
    IMG_20230723_053125590.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 30

Mlkman55

FNG
Stone Glacier 40/56. Have used for 4 years and it's one of the lightest elk-capable packs out there. The Terminus looks awesome but most of my packouts are for elk so need the beefier 40/56. Sometimes I wish I had an external pocket for a bugle tube, trekking poles to nestle in and have looked hard at the Evo packs. That'll be what I try next.
Stone Glacier 40/56. Have used for 4 years and it's one of the lightest elk-capable packs out there. The Terminus looks awesome but most of my packouts are for elk so need the beefier 40/56. Sometimes I wish I had an external pocket for a bugle tube, trekking poles to nestle in and have looked hard at the Evo packs. That'll be what I try next.