What one day's worth of food looks like for us

Becca,

You might want to try out Post Grape Nuts soaked in hot milk. It still stays crunchy, it is different in flavor and texture from oatmeal, and it packs small and passes the 100 calories per ounce test. Throw in a snack size box of raisins and you have a nice mix of flavors and textures.

Larry

KHNC

WKR
for those of you that use myfitnesspal, how do you figure out how many calories on in some meals? like meat for example. If i goto lunch and order a fat bbq sandwich and fries, how much is that? LOL. Im sure its alot but i need to get an idea. Id like to lose about 10lbs in the next 6 weeks. I dont really have alot of area i can lose it in as i maintain the same weight mostly year round. MFP app says i need to be at 1400 cals per day based on my activity and workout routine. i dont see how in the hell im going to get by on that low of intake. But, id like to see what im averaging each day.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank god we have you Becca! The backcountry diet hasn't been to bad since watching some of the meals you've prepared in the past. When will the book be finished?

Haha, thanks Slim :) I have a lot of content, but life and an unexpected move into a new house have been keeping me from putting the time into it I would like. Figure I will get through the hunting trips we have planned for this fall, and come back to it fresh next winter. Thanks to everyone for being patient...

colonel00

WKR
Perhaps this should be a separate thread but what about "pre-game" meals? Aside from a corndog (which we all know is the key to outstanding mountain performance) what do you all like to eat before heading out like the day prior? Or, do you just keep it the same and load up once the hiking begins.

I am kind of torn on this because I can see the benefit of carbing up hours or the day before maybe but at the same point I don't want to load myself down. Even worse, I don't want to throw my body out of whack as those mid-mountain stomach gurgles are never fun.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't eat a big fat BBQ sandwich. Eat what you can track!

Yes. Or do, eat it but look at some of the options for "BBQ pork sandwich" in the MFP database and try to pick one. It might not be exact, but I sometimes go with a midrange to high calorie option if I am not sure. It helps me have a red flag that I ate something high calorie and should likely go easy for the rest of the day.

People have asked about home cooked meals. It's a bit of a hassle, but you can calculate your own recipes calories per serving and save them to your account. I have added most of the meals I eat regularly and then its pretty simple to add them to my diary as long as I make them with the same recipe every time. The MFP database is pretty extensive, and even has a number of choices for game meat if your really look (I have found elk, goat, venison, and moose choices). Ultimately most lean game meats are around 40 cal/oz so it doesn't really matter which one you pick, from a calorie standpoint they are going to be close. Then the only other big hassle is weighing or measuring everything until you get some idea what a 6oz portion or 1 cup portion looks like. It's easy to underestimate your portion sizes, I have learned a lot by tracking calories and measuring.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps this should be a separate thread but what about "pre-game" meals? Aside from a corndog (which we all know is the key to outstanding mountain performance) what do you all like to eat before heading out like the day prior? Or, do you just keep it the same and load up once the hiking begins.

I am kind of torn on this because I can see the benefit of carbing up hours or the day before maybe but at the same point I don't want to load myself down. Even worse, I don't want to throw my body out of whack as those mid-mountain stomach gurgles are never fun.

I would like to discuss this. I will start a new thread here: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...ur-pregame-food-look-like&p=121259#post121259

cwh

Lil-Rokslider
I pack pretty much the same stuff, just a little more of it.

Differences:
-I do instant oatmeal for breakfast, because I'm a quaker sort of a guy. None of that fancy banana crap, maple and brown sugar only!
-I usually have some beef jerky in a quart freezer ziplock and another quart ziplock full of raw almonds. I snack on that stuff as needed/wanted throughout the trip.
-I steal from my hunting partner when he isn't looking.
-2 via per morning, and I generally keep a floater set of Via around too.
-Tabasco cheeze-its are the bomb.

I do the gallon ziplock per day deal. I found that if I didn't eat everything for the day, I was moving bars/coffee forward to the next day, and it got to be kind of silly. So now I try to put everything I need (but no more) in a day bag, and then have reserves that I can grab from as needed.

Also, if you have a base camp, a loaf of bread and sandwich fixings kept in a cooler are almost better than steak...

I can honestly pretty easily get away with 1500-2000 calories a day for the first three days, then my body gradually starts needing more. Typically for dinner I do a mountain house but only eat about 1/2 so I have started seperating them and individually vacume sealing them so I dont waste or pack to many mountain house meals.. Another pick me up is 5hr energys or pop a energy pill, I know there not healthy but they help you to keep going. Definetly end up carbing up after a long hunt and have made it back to the truck. I typically loose 5 to 10lbs and a notch size in my belt on any given difficult terrain trip, without suffering in the Dragon Ass Disease..... But this is just me, everyone is different.

KHNC

WKR
Well mfp said 1400 per day to lose 2lbs a week till Sept for me. I ended up at 1502 and ate smoke sliced brisket w chips at lunch instead of fries. Also I didn't count the 2 cups of tea I had. But I also worked out pretty hard today. That should offset some of it. Gonna have to cut out the tea looks like.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
How much powdered milk to granola do you recommend.

The granola we are using (Quaker in the purple bag from Costco) has 240 cal in 1/2 cup. My powdered milk calls for 1/3c of milk powder to make 1cup of milk. So I put 1 cup of granola in each ziploc with 1/3c milk powder for a total of (240x2) + 80= 560 calories per breakfast. In the field I add approx 3/4 cup of water (I never measure, but its close!) stir and enjoy....

My feeling on powdered milk is I would rather have it a little strong than too watery. Can't stand "chalky" milk....

I am pro heavy comfort food. Having it in the pack encourages you to eat it and any weight you can leave curled up next to a rock as you travel is good weight in my eyes! Cheese, smoked salmon, summer sausage, tortillas are all great. 3 days or less on a trip and I can make a reasonable case for a 12 pack of PBR. I can never make a case for leaving the crown at home, works great to celebrate success or equally well for drowning sorrows.

If I never eat another cliff bar that would be fine with me...

Becca, This summer is pretty well shot but I need to have you guys over for a camp food prep class before next year!!

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I never eat another cliff bar that would be fine with me...

Becca, This summer is pretty well shot but I need to have you guys over for a camp food prep class before next year!!

Me too...just the thought of clif bars makes me gag. We ate a rediculous amount of them on our 100 mile trip a few years back and they are ruined for me forever I fear.

Always enjoy getting together with you and the Fam Jon, not sure I have much wisdom to impart, but I have figured out what works for us. Which is good, because we are projected to be eating a lot of backpacking food in the next three months. I did manage to get the new gear room all set up at the new house, and the food packing station is much improved. Come over sometime soon when schedules align and have a look...way easier to pack food and gear now that its all in one place.

Whisky

WKR
Here's what 2450 calories ,24oz looks like for me...

Here's 3500 calories for about 2lbs....That little bag of mixed nuts is 740 calories at 4 oz...

Those butt hole sandwiches?

I'm guessing those are just bagel with peanut butter vacuum sealed?

7mag.

WKR
The Weight Watchers books have calories, fat and fiber pretty dialed in for just about any thing you can find to eat. By the way, butthole sandwiches are my favorite backpacking food.