What kind of knife is this?

WKR

WKR
I inherited this thing from my grandpa. Looks to me like its some kind of fleshing knife for hides?
I'm not sure where my grandpa got it but a little background of his, is he was a Navajo, lived on the res in NM as a kid. Joined the Airforce, deployed to Vietnam then was stationed in Alaska for a while. He did give me another hunting knife when he was still alive that was made in Alaska, but I don't really know where this one came from or who made it. Here are some photos. 20240825_151213.jpg20240825_151137.jpg

Looks like sort of a combo of a Nessmuk and an Ulu. The amount of belly to the rear is interesting, The sheath looks like its shaped for a clip point, but the knife is a drop point...almost a spear point. My best guess it was used more for skinning.

Definitely a cool blade.

TaperPin

WKR
My vote is it’s an Ulu maker’s combination of a western knife and ulu. The point looks a lot like an ulu.
92FC7696-7A43-47C7-9B35-9E2E9BC93B66.jpeg

Reactions: WKR

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
You could get it Rockwell tested.
I would just put a good sharp edge on it then use it and see how long it stays sharp for while using either on processing an animal, cutting carboard or any other task.

Only way to test for carbon content is to spark test it, is there another way?
If you want to want to test it the spark test is the easiest on a belt sander but then you’re making a cosmetic change to the blade. I would find a shop that can Rockwell test it personally. I made that comment off of observation and my experience carbon will patina like the one you have where stainless will have more of a “stain” look ironically.

Reactions: WKR