What keeps you from LR competition shooting?

Lawnboi

WKR
With Vortex being in Wisconsin, it would be cool if they could encourage a match director and range to hold one up there.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

We have more than vortex. Most of the big barrel makers. We had a good day prs match but really don’t have any current ranges that could hold a 2 day.

Our one day matches fill up with 100+ shooters all year. We have the shooters in the area to fill these matches up but lack the venues that are elsewhere.

Maybe one day.

OP
kharb22

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
We have more than vortex. Most of the big barrel makers. We had a good day prs match but really don’t have any current ranges that could hold a 2 day.

Our one day matches fill up with 100+ shooters all year. We have the shooters in the area to fill these matches up but lack the venues that are elsewhere.

Maybe one day.
The nice thing is if they could find a decent farm, they could hold a NRL Hunter match there. The match in Missouri was cool because it was a different farm each day.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

ID_Matt

WKR
For you guys that have shot some NRL hunter matches what's you take on vernal vs price UT for being better venue? Trying to decide which one to go to planning on doing 4 matches the other 3 are guaranteed just trying to pick a 4th

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
I shot price last year and a friend did vernal. I think Price is going to have a better venue. North Springs Shooting Range is pretty dang cool and the terrain for the match was neat. Also has the hornady name on it, so it tends to be pretty well attended with a good prize table.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I hope someone here knows how to contact NRL.

The match details when you click on the logo for the catcus classis pulls up the defiant series.

I would love to see the details on the match.

id_jon

WKR
I hope someone here knows how to contact NRL.

The match details when you click on the logo for the catcus classis pulls up the defiant series.

I would love to see the details on the match.
Sometimes the details aren't available until a month, sometimes less, before the match.

Stalker69

WKR
Lack of money and time. In that order. If I had the money, I could probably find the time. Lol

Absolutely it’s time restraints. Between 70+ hour work weeks, wife and kids, scouting for mule deer and team roping; I don’t have much to spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to drive the point home a buddy and I went down and qualified for that last month… 55 people and only 5 of us qualified (2 of which shot PRS/NRL comps, my buddy and I shoot more than most and the 5th spent a lot of time at that range). There were a lot of guys that talked a big game before the qualifications began, more often than not those were the guys that missed within the first couple of shots. I also had an acquaintance go to the qual the following day and out of the 42 participants they had ZERO pass, with only one guy making it to last 300yds target before he missed.

I agree with you though, it was great people watching. We saw some wild stuff at the line along with some weird shooting positions throughout the qual (like kneeling with triple pull bipods and no rear support, just swinging that stock in the wind.., several dudes standing from a mono shooting stick etc.) During the orientation afterwards the CPW officer mentioned the most he had ever pass in one day was 6, so you guys set the new record lol.

I’m looking to shoot an NRL comp during the 2024 season if scheduling works out.
Can you tell me more about exactly what the test was? I wasn’t to run it on myself! I know someone that has done this hunt but I didn’t hear the failure rate was so high! Also - how does the tag process work for this hunt - do they award them after a hunter qualifies?

parshal

WKR
Also - how does the tag process work for this hunt - do they award them after a hunter qualifies?

They explain everything after you qualify.

There isn't a tag. They are very clear this is not a hunt. You are driving around with a CPW and a Federal officer looking for elk. The goal is to get them to leave the property. There will be times you won't shoot at the elk if they're headed off the property. CPW officer also explained there is a community near one of the areas that they do this and you could actually have protestors.

They explain everything after you qualify.

There isn't a tag. They are very clear this is not a hunt. You are driving around with a CPW and a Federal officer looking for elk. The goal is to get them to leave the property. There will be times you won't shoot at the elk if they're headed off the property. CPW officer also explained there is a community near one of the areas that they do this and you could actually have protestors.
I see. Okay I was conflating this “hunt” that a guy told me about and one near here that he actually did.