What keeps you from LR competition shooting?

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
We just wrapped up the NRL Grand Slam, and I was pondering this question. What is it that keeps you from shooting in a match like the NRL Hunter series or PRS? I get that a 2 day match can be daunting, but what about the 1 day formats?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Distance to the matches/ work schedule and I'd rather take vacation for hunting days. Were it to line up with my work and be within reasonable driving distance I'd do a match or two.

Distance to NRL matches. I'm not aware of any within a decent drive from Northern VA. There are some PRS type places in WVA and south VA that have some stuff. Hard for a mid 40s dude with job and family to get to a weekend long shoot, much less a one day pistol match fairly close. Priorities I guess. Would go to a NRL match if they came to Peacemaker in WVA.

nobody

WKR
Distance and time off from work. I have limited PTO being in the construction industry, and would rather use those days for family time and hunts. Most of the one day matches are either Thursday's or Friday's, making it hard to justify the time off. If there were some one-day Saturday matches, I would be more apt to take one on.

That, plus the lack of ability to contact anybody who has anything to do with NRL easily. I did manage to track down a match director earlier this year and ask him some questions, but he acted like I was inconveniencing him by trying to talk to him about how the matches work, treated me like I was an idiot with the types of questions I was asking, and was a big enough jerk that he totally turned me off from attending his match in the future. Add in the fact that I've turned in multiple email inquiries on NRL's website just trying to get ANY type of logistical info or understanding of how the matches work, all of which have gone unanswered, and it's all but made me write off the organization. Pretty sad when the only source of information for how things work is YouTube. Jumping into the world of precision rifle competitions from being a recreational long range shooter and hunter is intimidating, and more resources for the "new guys" who don't have connections to people who already shoot the matches would go a long ways.

The distance to the matches isn’t ideal, but the fact that I can’t use my 556 rifles is a no go for me. Im not buying a rifle just do do a competition.

The closest NRL match to me is an 8 hour drive oneway....Wife, 2 kids, full time job, house, vacation house, ect..I barely can sneak away for a few hours on the weekend to get some shooting in.

Juan_ID

WKR
We just wrapped up the NRL Grand Slam, and I was pondering this question. What is it that keeps you from shooting in a match like the NRL Hunter series or PRS? I get that a 2 day match can be daunting, but what about the 1 day formats?

I overheard you talking about that at the banquet, I feel it is a pretty big commitment to make the matches between the travel, time off and cost. Not to mention family duties and other obligations, all about what you are willing to sacrifice and compromise on if you want to go or not. It definitely isn’t easy leaving my wife and kids at home for a weekend while I go shoot rifles 8 hours away.
Distance and time off from work. I have limited PTO being in the construction industry, and would rather use those days for family time and hunts. Most of the one day matches are either Thursday's or Friday's, making it hard to justify the time off. If there were some one-day Saturday matches, I would be more apt to take one on.

That, plus the lack of ability to contact anybody who has anything to do with NRL easily. I did manage to track down a match director earlier this year and ask him some questions, but he acted like I was inconveniencing him by trying to talk to him about how the matches work, treated me like I was an idiot with the types of questions I was asking, and was a big enough jerk that he totally turned me off from attending his match in the future. Add in the fact that I've turned in multiple email inquiries on NRL's website just trying to get ANY type of logistical info or understanding of how the matches work, all of which have gone unanswered, and it's all but made me write off the organization. Pretty sad when the only source of information for how things work is YouTube. Jumping into the world of precision rifle competitions from being a recreational long range shooter and hunter is intimidating, and more resources for the "new guys" who don't have connections to people who already shoot the matches would go a long ways.
I have had nothing but good communication when I’ve reached out to the match directors or the contacts on the nrl website, but it is a major bummer that any md would make a potential newcomer feel that way. I would strongly suggest you give it another go, the matches are a ton of fun and can be very eye opening. With that said, I would have to agree their website could probably be better. I am no seasoned competitor but have managed to sneak away to a handful of matches this year and have gotten the hang of the flow I think, if there’s anything I can help answer feel free to shoot me a pm.

nobody

WKR
I have had nothing but good communication when I’ve reached out to the match directors or the contacts on the nrl website, but it is a major bummer that any md would make a potential newcomer feel that way. I would strongly suggest you give it another go, the matches are a ton of fun and can be very eye opening. With that said, I would have to agree their website could probably be better. I am no seasoned competitor but have managed to sneak away to a handful of matches this year and have gotten the hang of the flow I think, if there’s anything I can help answer feel free to shoot me a pm.
I appreciate this a ton. I'm still interested in participating, but any extra fundage is currently being funneled into fertility treatments for my wife and I, so new "extracurriculars" are on hold for a few months. But if all goes well then the hope would be to jump in next summer.

Yes their website definitely needs improvement. Call me petty, but it's 2023, and I don't feel any organization or business has any excuse for not having the ability to communicate with the public in some form or fashion. I also think NRL could definitely benefit from a "how-to" tab for new people, maybe with a list of basic gear needed plus their Standard Operating Procedures for a match, walking you through from sign-up to the awards banquet and everything in between. That way, when we DO get ahold of somebody, we can speak semi-intelligently regarding the basics of the match.

Lawnboi

WKR
I wish they could dump the Friday check in stuff for 2 day matches. Would make it easier for guys with kids/jobs/wives that work. I could easily travel to a couple more 2 days, and have the ambition, but that Friday “check in” kills me. Means another whole day I need off and need child care.

I shoot a bunch of one days, and try for 1-2, 2 days a year. Personally I thought the nrl format was a lot of fun and plan to shoot more, even if it’s with a bdl 3006 again.

Prs is getting tough. Even our one day matches are a different animal from when I started shootings g a few years ago. I can see them turning someone off who is afraid of failure.

OP
kharb22

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I wish they could dump the Friday check in stuff for 2 day matches. Would make it easier for guys with kids/jobs/wives that work. I could easily travel to a couple more 2 days, and have the ambition, but that Friday “check in” kills me. Means another whole day I need off and need child care.

I shoot a bunch of one days, and try for 1-2, 2 days a year. Personally I thought the nrl format was a lot of fun and plan to shoot more, even if it’s with a bdl 3006 again.

Prs is getting tough. Even our one day matches are a different animal from when I started shootings g a few years ago. I can see them turning someone off who is afraid of failure.
I do wish they'd figure out a way to switch up the Friday check in as well. I think next year, I may send my gear with a buddy and have them check me in.

Laramie

WKR
Distance to matches and $. Also, the matches closest to me (7 hours) have no divisions so showing up with my 8 pound hunting rifle it's pretty hard to compete with the guys shooting dedicated equipment.

Lawnboi

WKR
I do wish they'd figure out a way to switch up the Friday check in as well. I think next year, I may send my gear with a buddy and have them check me in.

I don’t think it would be terribly hard. Just make a stage for weight/pf.

If it wasn’t for that I don’t see Friday as anything g but a social event, which can still take place, just wish it wasn’t mandatory.

My first two day, I drove 3 hours to “check in” and drove home.

I guess part of me wishes that atleast matches I can reasonably drive to when they come around, I could leave when the wife gets home Friday.

OP
kharb22

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t think it would be terribly hard. Just make a stage for weight/pf.

If it wasn’t for that I don’t see Friday as anything g but a social event, which can still take place, just wish it wasn’t mandatory.

My first two day, I drove 3 hours to “check in” and drove home.
That's the way USPSA does it at major matches that require power factor, it's a stage all on its own. I do like that idea and it would make it a little easier for attendance if you don't have to take time off.

Most of the LR shooters are awkward and weird and a bunch of know-it-alls.

I did think about going to one and flapping my gums loudly about how I only shoot three shot test groups. Then sit back and watch everyone have a mental meltdown. lol

TaperPin

WKR
A lot could be learned from golf - most of us don’t mind spending $100 for cart and green fees for a few hours of fun on a Saturday or Sunday - with the clubs we have. It doesn’t matter what your handicap, or even if you want to keep score.

I almost laughed out loud at the approved factory rifles and the long list of what is approved and not. It’s like reading the dmv laws in California.

You’d get a lot more mountain hunters if you allowed one shot per target (also cuts ammo use by more than half and reduces barrel heat), use whatever gun you want - # of hits divided by rifle weight determines score. . . . held on Saturday starting at 10:00, one hour bbq lunch, and wrapped up by 3:00.

When a 7lb rifle and 20 hits beats a 15lb rifle shooting 40, the ideal rifle/scope choice reaches a much more interesting point of equilibrium, and is much more accessible to the average joe and his buddy out to have a fun afternoon. There are a number of guys in here that shoot their tiny little ultra light Tikkas really well.

Even better - include the weight of any sandbags, bipods and tripods in the rifle weight. Give the guys not keeping score, but just shooting for fun, a pink wrist bracelet so the Karen’s don’t tell them they aren’t doing something right, and the rest of us can give them encouragement.

Silhouette matches are 40 rounds, go pretty quick, and it’s a fun time, even to watch once you get to know the shooters. I probably should have told 20-year-ago-me to settle in a town with active silhouette club, but regular long range mountain rifle events would also be a hoot.

Macintosh

WKR
Time, $ to get started, lack of "intro" opportunity, and politics/personalities.
FWIW I do compete at local and a few regional matches.
If you really want to attract and keep new people, more matches need to host and set beginner-friendly courses of fire and offer equivalent prizes for it that are accessible without pre-registering 3 months in advance, driving excessively, etc. I know every "category" is an additional hassle, but it is possible to make courses challenging while making it so everyone can come and hit enough targets to make them happy, while still separating the top competitors from everyone else. Longer stage times for beginners, stages where a 30-40% hit rate is there if you just want to learn the skills, but it gets proressively harder, etc. Too many times have seen someone start getting into it, but hitting zero's on half the stages, get yelled at by a jersied competitor for going slow or some such nonsense, and if lucky getting called up to a prize table after the winner just got their third scope certificate or pair of binos from a prize table, half the crowd has already left, and now the new guy gets to pick through a pile of leftover stickers, a pink size S tshirt, and a 10% off full retail gift certificate for something they dont even know what it is and can buy cheaper online anyway...well, it doesnt really scream "welcome, we want you here" to a newcomer.
Newcomers arent going to drive 15 hours one way to "check it out", they arent going to buy $3000 in equipment to try something for the first time, most dont enjoy being the only newbie unless they are there with a friend (partner match, hint, hint), and no one really enjoys being an afterthought. I say if the parent organizations want to grow, they need to have some traveling matches that make it accessible within a days drive in all regions, and they need to mandate a good beginner course of fire with an equipment rental option or a true hunting-rifle class, and saving a good selection of prizes for a beginner-class of competitors that lasts longer than 1 match before you get thrown to the open-class wolves. TAC would be a good example to emulate and translate into NRL hunter or similar.