What keeps you from hunting OTC California?

What Keeps you from hunting OTC in California?

• Total voters

Stalker69

WKR
Man California could be a beautiful state, but the way it is now, I don't ever want to go back. Not even to hunt, no way.

Wags

WKR
Correct triple the daily bag limit. It isn’t a broad brush. There’s letter of the law and spirit of the law.
In this case the letter and spirit would apply to whole birds killed that season. No one’s going to thaw out and count breasts and trim to try and piece together an over possession.
I’m not a warden but enforcement of over bag limit for snack sticks or sausage would be impossible and I’ve never heard of any hastle either unless poachers are caught with other issues.
Regardless the person I quoted that said nfws was going to inspect is asinine as there’s hundreds if not thousands of waterfowlers in CA that would be in violation, that would fall under the common use clause etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I've never sweated it for those reasons you listed.

I spent 5 hours spraying weeds at the club yesterday ... season can't get here fast enough. If it's anything like last year I may need a 3rd upright freezer.

Special kind of stupid for that lack of math
7 ducks a day, 30 geese.
103 day regular season. Then a late goose season.
Regardless 200 ducks and geese a year is nowhere near over possession limit. Unless he keeps all 200+ birds without eating any of them or giving them away.

and there are three people in my household. my freezer could have 270 geese, and 63 ducks and no law is broken. My friends love me at xmas because duck/goose sticks and choriso are a common gift. guys trying to earn their jr game warden badge on social media will always be damn funny

Rob5589

WKR
Not a lawyer so... Possessing processed meat is different than the actual animal, in this case, waterfowl. Same could be said for taxidermy.

Will_m

WKR
Special kind of stupid for that lack of math
7 ducks a day, 30 geese.
103 day regular season. Then a late goose season.
Regardless 200 ducks and geese a year is nowhere near over possession limit. Unless he keeps all 200+ birds without eating any of them or giving them away.

Sent from my iPhone using
Look man, I see that this upset you a little bit. No offense intended.

I have seen guys get raided for stuff exactly like this. They will come and pull everything out of the freezer. There is no common sense clause and the federal boys can be tough. I don’t see what you-or whoever posted it-stands to gain from telling the world that you killed 200 ducks. There is a risk and it may be a small one, but really what is the point?

amassi

WKR
Look man, I see that this upset you a little bit. No offense intended.

I have seen guys get raided for stuff exactly like this. They will come and pull everything out of the freezer. There is no common sense clause and the federal boys can be tough. I don’t see what you-or whoever posted it-stands to gain from telling the world that you killed 200 ducks. There is a risk and it may be a small one, but really what is the point?

Not upset at all and don’t try and paint me as upset to try and make some sort of logical fallacy.

I don’t believe you’ve seen people raided for posting.

I don’t believe you’ve seen freezers raided and counted.
How do they judge the possession in birds per sausage? Do they base the weight on mallards or teal? Is there a percentage added for fat? If there’s 3 species of goose in the grind what is the base of possession?
You tried to spread some internet bs, got called on it and have no standing. This particular BS goes back about 15 years now to the old refuge forum. It’s never passed any legal test.

CA is managed terrible, but it does have a ton of land to hunt, including beautiful wilderness. That being said it’s like most other places. 10% of the hunters kill 90% of the deer. And from my experience some of the best ones aren’t killed in the most remote wildernesses or draw hunts. I’ll be back this October to hunt OTC B zone with my old friends. But the non resident tag prices are a little hard to swallow after living there so long

CA is managed terrible, but it does have a ton of land to hunt, including beautiful wilderness. That being said it’s like most other places. 10% of the hunters kill 90% of the deer. And from my experience some of the best ones aren’t killed in the most remote wildernesses or draw hunts. I’ll be back this October to hunt OTC B zone with my old friends. But the non resident tag prices are a little hard to swallow after living there so long

Okhotnik

WKR
Agreed. I've never sweated it for those reasons you listed.

I spent 5 hours spraying weeds at the club yesterday ... season can't get here fast enough. If it's anything like last year I may need a 3rd upright freezer.
:ROFLMAO:

WKR

WKR
Not true, plus how often have you had your vehicle searched to the point they were checking your mag capacity

Whats not true? You can't have over a ten round mag on a centerfire semi auto with a vertical grip.

I never have but I wouldn't take the chance either.

87TT

WKR
Any time I have needed more than one or two rounds for a deer, it was a lost cause. Now elk is a different matter. Better luck with the Powerball lottery than CA elk draw.

Oregon

WKR
California. Beautiful state. Public land game poor. I lived in Fort Bragg for 4 years. We had a state forest nearby. Jackson state. I think in 4 years I never saw a deer. A zone hunting. Brutal heat, rattlesnakes and poison oak. I killed 2 nice bucks in 4 years. On Private.
Covelo B zone. Rugged, hot and plugged full of people from other countries driving around with chairs in the pick up bed. Plan on packing in a ton of water and being content with seeing 3-4 deer a day if your lucky.
Duck hunting, unless you buy into a lease, be content hunting 3 days a week on the refuges if you can get on. Or diver hunting the bays.

I get it. If you're from there, have connections, intimate knowledge, trail cams up year round it could be a great place on public.
California is no where remotely close to the vast majority of western states in regards ease of big game hunting. Lack of game on public is the main reason. Impossible draw odds for non blacktail hunts is another.
You Californians here sticking up for your state is admirable.
The plain truth is you can go all over the West during hunting season and see California plates everywhere.
You can't go around California and see plates from all over the West during hunting season.
Trust me, it ain't the politics keeping people out.

cmahoney

WKR
California. Beautiful state. Public land game poor. I lived in Fort Bragg for 4 years. We had a state forest nearby. Jackson state. I think in 4 years I never saw a deer. A zone hunting. Brutal heat, rattlesnakes and poison oak. I killed 2 nice bucks in 4 years. On Private.
Covelo B zone. Rugged, hot and plugged full of people from other countries driving around with chairs in the pick up bed. Plan on packing in a ton of water and being content with seeing 3-4 deer a day if your lucky.
Duck hunting, unless you buy into a lease, be content hunting 3 days a week on the refuges if you can get on. Or diver hunting the bays.

I get it. If you're from there, have connections, intimate knowledge, trail cams up year round it could be a great place on public.
California is no where remotely close to the vast majority of western states in regards ease of big game hunting. Lack of game on public is the main reason. Impossible draw odds for non blacktail hunts is another.
You Californians here sticking up for your state is admirable.
The plain truth is you can go all over the West during hunting season and see California plates everywhere.
You can't go around California and see plates from all over the West during hunting season.
Trust me, it ain't the politics keeping people out.

You nailed it, I hunted a lot of the same stuff years ago.

Spikefrb

FNG
Res. Here for 40 years. We all apply for all western states. I have a top whitetail property so that's my favorite hunt. But, dove great. Merced Co. Is #2 in the nation for duck harvest, I killed 77 last year. Great bear hunting. Turkey and hogs is great.Got my tule bull here, and this year drew the best mulie unit in the state for bow and yes, a desert sheep tag@13,000 feet. Always75 and sunny. Starting 8/19, I will be sheep and mulie hunting for 2 weeks at least. The trout and ocean fishing is great. If I was an nr, I would not bother with ca. But as a res. It's damm good if you put the time in. At a point where every state kicks out a tag for me. Then spend Nov. Killing 35 whitetails in wi. All good.
SHHHHH...let em ramble about how hard it is.